R.i.P Charlie Watts

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

R.i.P Charlie Watts

Post by Greatkudu »

I was very sad to hear of the death of the great Charlie Watts, what can you say about him? Just what a fucking fantastic drummer in possibly the greatest rock and roll band ever? Rock solid and a love for Jazz, Suave dresser, breeder of Arab Horses, and a genuinely lovely humble man, we have lost a true great of Drumming and Rock and Roll and Jazz. R.I.P Mr Watts.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Re: R.i.P Charlie Watts

Post by Boody »

Indeed. Just listen to the drumming on Sympathy for the Devil.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I appreciated Charlie's persona more than his drumming, he was like the anti-Jagger and anti-Richards in so many ways - the guy at the back with a penchant for sharp suits perpetually looking unimpressed with everything that was going on around him. I've never rated him as a drummer though - his drum fills in particular always sounded quite sloppy and even on the Stones' later albums he still sounded like it was the first time he'd ever sat in front of a drum kit. In fact, on some Stones tracks it's not even Charlie playing.

Having said that, the way that "Midnight Rambler" shifts from a shuffle to a straight beat on the studio version on Let It Bleed is an amazing bit of playing.

My favourite Charlie Watts story is one from when the Stones were touring at some point in the '80s, apparently Jagger and Richards had gotten a bit merry and Jagger rang up Charlie's hotel room demanding to know where "his drummer" was... Charlie got up, shaved, put on a suit, went downstairs and punched Jagger in the face saying "don't ever call me your drummer again, you're my fucking singer" ... legend. RIP.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

What a shame. I'd imagined he was gonna pull through. I always liked the fact that the 4 of them were still going together after all these years.
RIP
I Hate You !
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 21:13 ..

My favourite Charlie Watts story is one from when the Stones were touring at some point in the '80s, apparently Jagger and Richards had gotten a bit merry and Jagger rang up Charlie's hotel room demanding to know where "his drummer" was... Charlie got up, shaved, put on a suit, went downstairs and punched Jagger in the face saying "don't ever call me your drummer again, you're my fucking singer" ... legend. RIP.
Yup, my favourite Charlie Watts story too. That tube on BBC Breakfast tried to tell it this morning and it was lame as fuck.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

MiB81 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 10:23
StanInBlack wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 21:13 ..

Yup, my favourite Charlie Watts story too. That tube on BBC Breakfast tried to tell it this morning and it was lame as fuck.
Yes the dull as dishwater Dan Walker, would be really amusing to see him try to interview JJ and Baz? If they end up promoting album on the shocking tosh of BBC Breakfast, the BBC are a disgrace now, I never Watch it. Its had its day, overpaid presenters and low brow TV for the masses, but it was interesting hearing from Chad Smith and Kenny Jones two brilliant drummers who had an insight to Mr Watts drum technique,i was watching a clip of Jumping Jack Flash live earlier, and it was camera focusing on Charlie, just sublime drumming skills, was blown away, I know Jet was an admirer of Charlie, although he never talks about drummers, but I have an interview where he mentions Charlie and Ringo as drummers he likes as they play for the song, you could say Jet is the Punk Charlie Watts, even though the Stranglers weren't Punk but that's another debate. Lt Kudu
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

To say that Jet was the punk Charlie Watts isn't quite right. Jet could navigate a drum fill without sounding like his drum set was falling down a flight of stairs, for one. I don't believe anyone could listen to the drum track on the Stones' "I'm Free" (for example) and tell me with a straight face that it's amazing playing. His drumming on "Sway" from Sticky Fingers is exceedingly sloppy. But y'know, I suppose that's part of the charm for some.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 12:08 To say that Jet was the punk Charlie Watts isn't quite right. Jet could navigate a drum fill without sounding like his drum set was falling down a flight of stairs, for one. I don't believe anyone could listen to the drum track on the Stones' "I'm Free" (for example) and tell me with a straight face that it's amazing playing. His drumming on "Sway" from Sticky Fingers is exceedingly sloppy. But y'know, I suppose that's part of the charm for some.
I agree I'm free not his greatest moment. But he shone on the live playing. Lt Kudu.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Charlie Watts’s drums on “Street Fighting Man” are from this little 1930s practice drummer’s kit, in a little suitcase that you popped up, one tiny cymbal, a half-size tambourine that served as a snare, and that’s really what it was made on, made on rubbish, made in hotel rooms with our little toys.”
― Keith Richards, Life

8) He still sounded great, RIP.