Dark Matters review

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Dark Matters review

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 08:57 Bring back seaside special, great low brow TV for the masses, a bit like the TV equivalent of Little Mix. We await the landing of Dark Matters soon, so we can all slag it off? Joking, some will never give this current lineup the respect and credit they are due, because I think this album is going to be a corker. Lt Kudu
I don't think low brow TV ever went away? Of course, it competes with low brow internet now too...

At this stage, I don't know what people expect from the band. I feared it was going to be a Giants rehash - which would be 'ok' but not what I'd like them to do - as it turns out there's some unprecedented variety on the album and for me, at least three tracks that are great.

What were the unsatisfied folk expecting?
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

toilerinblack wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 18:54
Greatkudu wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 18:52
toilerinblack wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 11:27
I know, i'm cool with all the waiting .
Was joking Sir, I'm excited to. As its looking like a corker. Lt Kudu :smt006
yes after a nine year wait i think i can wait another month no problem,lets hope it will be as good as we are hoping it might be.
Well I for one can't believe it's only a month til it's out, when it was first announced it seemed yonks away 8) :smt006 :smt003
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

the taxman wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 10:40
Greatkudu wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 08:57
Mathew S wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 20:44 Oooooh it’s just like Little and Large on Seaside Special on here some nights
Bring back seaside special, great low brow TV for the masses, a bit like the TV equivalent of Little Mix. We await the landing of Dark Matters soon, so we can all slag it off? Joking, some will never give this current lineup the respect and credit they are due, because I think this album is going to be a corker. Lt Kudu
Charlie Cairoli was great,remember him?
Now your talking he was great.Seaside special is actually classy now, BBC have hit a new low with Saturday night TV, a disgrace. I hope JJ and Baz get a spot on breakfast TV promoting the new album? But make sure Charlie Stayt is absent after the last time. Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 11:10
Greatkudu wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 08:57 Bring back seaside special, great low brow TV for the masses, a bit like the TV equivalent of Little Mix. We await the landing of Dark Matters soon, so we can all slag it off? Joking, some will never give this current lineup the respect and credit they are due, because I think this album is going to be a corker. Lt Kudu
I don't think low brow TV ever went away? Of course, it competes with low brow internet now too...

At this stage, I don't know what people expect from the band. I feared it was going to be a Giants rehash - which would be 'ok' but not what I'd like them to do - as it turns out there's some unprecedented variety on the album and for me, at least three tracks that are great.

What were the unsatisfied folk expecting?
True but low brow TV years ago was entertaining, Dark Matters is certainly very different from any previous albums, so the band have to be given credit for the variety on the album? Even the Baz detractors cant deny that. Lt Kudu.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

8088 wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 11:10 What were the unsatisfied folk expecting?
Hugh back in the band and Rattus 2.0 :lol:

The band have evolved far more than some of the fans I fear..
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I haven't exactly been thrilled by the new material, but the last thing I want when it comes to new Stranglers material is for them to re-make Rattus Norvegicus, especially as the band have spent so long being a tribute to their former selves. Nor am I hankering for Hugh to return to The Stranglers, having his great songs played by the remains of his former band would only weaken them, and why would he want to do that? The band retaining the brand name may have helped to sell gig tickets, but artistically while The Stranglers could benefit from having Hugh back in the fold, Hugh absolutely does not need The Stranglers.
Mathew S
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Mathew S »

“…Thanks for that Stan…That was Stan our Chief Hugh Cornwell correspondent there with his familiar take on the Stranglers new album…and now it’s time for the weather with Helen…Hi Helen…Another sunny day for Hugh Cornwell fans?”
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Arf! :roll:

Gotta admit I'm not excited by what I've heard so far. I'll focus on the positives though. I think this will be better than Giants.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Mathew S
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Mathew S »

theraven1979 wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 16:56 Arf! :roll:

Gotta admit I'm not excited by what I've heard so far. I'll focus on the positives though. I think this will be better than Giants.

Jim
Lovely x
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 16:44 I haven't exactly been thrilled by the new material, but the last thing I want when it comes to new Stranglers material is for them to re-make Rattus Norvegicus, especially as the band have spent so long being a tribute to their former selves. Nor am I hankering for Hugh to return to The Stranglers, having his great songs played by the remains of his former band would only weaken them, and why would he want to do that? The band retaining the brand name may have helped to sell gig tickets, but artistically while The Stranglers could benefit from having Hugh back in the fold, Hugh absolutely does not need The Stranglers.
Yes your right Hugh doesn't need the Stranglers but both camps still use the stranglers i feel to their advantage still.Hugh has been his own man with his own style and if anything has tried to distance himself from his former band,but will still do the 50/50 tours as he knows people do still want to hear him do the oldies and why not.I for one prefer his own twang and improvisation of the old tracks there bloody good and sometimes better with his own stamp on them, than being played as it is on the tin so to speak,which many stranglers fans will prefer still which i can understand that too.
Like Hugh has said i wrote them or co wrote them so why shouldn't he still sing them which is right of course,but if he didn't sing the old ones still at the gigs would he sell as many tickets than him still singing the stranglers old stuff? i for one see him for Hugh the solo artist and prefer his solo stuff and wished in a way he wouldn't do the old stuff as for me anyway his material has been far superior than the other camp post '90.But the Stranglers have done well for sure without him with NC and Giants and now DM has high hopes too,it's peoples own preference on it all at the end of the day.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 09 Aug 2021, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Hugh is always going to be judged artistically in a more positive light, as being solo he doesn't have the band's legacy to match or exceed, whereas The Stranglers are still expected to pull another NMH/Golden Brown out of the hat.

They are both at same stations commercially though - both camps have had no real record sales success since the split and if both sides vowed never to play any Mk1 material, they'd all be near penniless from touring too.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

8088 wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 17:50 Hugh is always going to be judged artistically in a more positive light, as being solo he doesn't have the band's legacy to match or exceed, whereas The Stranglers are still expected to pull another NMH/Golden Brown out of the hat.

They are both at same stations commercially though - both camps have had no real record sales success since the split and if both sides vowed never to play any Mk1 material, they'd all be near penniless from touring too.
i agree that's it in a nutshell with all you have said.