According to him!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Re: John Lydon

Post by jetblacksdad »

I know people who know him very very well. Right from "then". Over the years he has got pretty paranoid and for faor reason, but he has seemingly surrounded himnself with a posse who are not pleasant people and fair play to the venue for cancelling him for his behaviour. a sit on the naughty step won't harm him!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

gjinblack wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 14:02
Jake wrote:
pragmatic businessman
how very punk lol
If Johnny does it, it's punk
According to him!

I still can't help but think of that American interview rant where he basically slags of virtually the whole of American punk , seems to think only the Pistols mattered or they were the real deal , basically just came across as a drunken ass imo .Sometimes he puts up a good coherent arguement and even if you don't agree , he has a point ..... In that one he didn't .
All quiet ..........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 17:14
gjinblack wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 14:02
Jake wrote:
how very punk lol
If Johnny does it, it's punk
According to him!

I still can't help but think of that American interview rant where he basically slags of virtually the whole of American punk , seems to think only the Pistols mattered or they were the real deal , basically just came across as a drunken ass imo .Sometimes he puts up a good coherent arguement and even if you don't agree , he has a point ..... In that one he didn't .

Is that the panel with a Ramone? That or rather he was an embarrassment in that, I think he tried to claim the Ramones were shit and the pistols much better, or some such nonsense. Personally I’d rather stick the first 3 or 4 Ramones albums on over Never Mind The Bollocks. And yes John Lydon has gone on record as saying something along the lines of the pistols were the only punk rock band and every band who’s called themselves punk is shit.

I think he used to talk a lot more sense in interviews in the 70s and 80s but just find him a mediocre bore since around the 2000s. The idea that he’s not chasing headlines is laughable too, he’ll say anything that he thinks makes him sound controversial and relevant.I reckon OpenUp with Leftfield was about the last decent bit of music he’s put his name to, but again personal opinions…
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The PiL output in recent years has been pretty dire. Shame really

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

theraven1979 wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 09:27 The PiL output in recent years has been pretty dire. Shame really

Jim
That’s the impression I got, from what little I heard it sounded so.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

They're not bad live but would be good if they came out with a decent album

Jim
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jake wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 21:52
Jon the Impaler wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 17:14
gjinblack wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 14:02 If Johnny does it, it's punk
According to him!

Is that the panel with a Ramone? That or rather he was an embarrassment in that, I think he tried to claim the Ramones were shit and the pistols much better, or some such nonsense. Personally I’d rather stick the first 3 or 4 Ramones albums on over Never Mind The Bollocks. And yes John Lydon has gone on record as saying something along the lines of the pistols were the only punk rock band and every band who’s called themselves punk is shit.

I think he used to talk a lot more sense in interviews in the 70s and 80s but just find him a mediocre bore since around the 2000s. The idea that he’s not chasing headlines is laughable too, he’ll say anything that he thinks makes him sound controversial and relevant.I reckon OpenUp with Leftfield was about the last decent bit of music he’s put his name to, but again personal opinions…
I have seen that footage, he has a go at Marky Ramone, it gets very heated, but it's funny, he says Marky weara a wig etc, it looks at one point Marky may punch John, but as I said John is never boring and he has made some great music over the years, Metal Box a classic and the first and only proper Pistols album was a classic. Lt Kudu.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 00:57

I have seen that footage, he has a go at Marky Ramone, it gets very heated, but it's funny, he says Marky weara a wig etc, it looks at one point Marky may punch John, but as I said John is never boring and he has made some great music over the years, Metal Box a classic and the first and only proper Pistols album was a classic. Lt Kudu.
Yes, it’s laughable that he was slagging off the Ramones when there’s definitely an argument that Ramones - Ramones was a big influence on the Pistols, the pre Bollocks sound was a lot slower, and although Sid allegedly didn’t record on Bollocks he “learned” the bass to Ramones.

Lydon definitely has an inflated sense of his own importance.

Never mind the bollocks was a very important part of my childhood but I don’t find myself particularly interested in playing it these days, Lydon and Pistol fans won’t like this but the double album of Great Rock ‘n’ Roll swindle is more interesting listening. I should like Metal Box more than I do, I recognise it’s very experimental, but my favourite PIL album is Album (1986), but I wouldn’t say I’m a huge fan of PIL, apart from odd songs, maybe I just can’t take them too seriously thanks to motormouth Lydon.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I think Album was the last one I took seriously. Love the drums on that album, especially EASE
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/joh ... r-25433727

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Noticed he's put out a statement distancing himself from any GSTQ associated upcoming links with the queen's death. Presumably rest of the pistols have allowed something

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk