White Stallion

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: White Stallion

Post by StanInBlack »

I still haven't listened to the studio version since release day.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 18:56 I still haven't listened to the studio version since release day.
Cool story bro 8)
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I really appreciate that JJ wanted a "big production" on this, it was a good contrast with the often-dull stripped-back approach of the Giants album.
It's nice when the band uses technology and tries to do something a bit different, it's an approach that led to some memorable moments in their 80s work.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 18:56 I still haven't listened to the studio version since release day.
Then i suggest you do you might be surprised in just how good you might think it has turned out ....Take a listen then be your own judge,if you don't like it that's fine it's your choice at the end of the day but at least you can say i listened but i didn't like it,but it's up to you what you do or don't listen to at the end of the day.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Intresting today i played two track's from DM at work to a non stranglers fan the first was Stallion who said i like that track it's really good,then i played NML in which he said i like that guys vocals it sounds really good great track.I thought that was intresting to somebody who doesn't know Baz from Adam loved his vocals on NML,well i suppose they are not judging the song with biased ears.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 19:39
Then i suggest you do you might be surprised in just how good you might think it has turned out ....Take a listen then be your own judge,if you don't like it that's fine it's your choice at the end of the day but at least you can say i listened but i didn't like it,but it's up to you what you do or don't listen to at the end of the day.
Well, that was the point. I HAVE listened to it and I didn't like it, hence why I haven't listened to it since.
parasiteinblack wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 19:02 I really appreciate that JJ wanted a "big production" on this, it was a good contrast with the often-dull stripped-back approach of the Giants album.
It's nice when the band uses technology and tries to do something a bit different, it's an approach that led to some memorable moments in their 80s work.
...which is fine, I'm generally the kind of person who leans towards a maximalist production if it's done tastefully and it's appropriate. I'm definitely not sure it's led to a "memorable moment" this time around, though. There's not enough of a song there to justify the production.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

It's each to their own , I like DM ........I wouldn't rate it among their very best but I do like it , bar those 3 dull tracks of course .It has far more to offer than Giants ,BUT , though I like it for 6 tracks especially , I wouldn't rate any if the tracks among the band's best ever songs , none would break into my top 40 , then neither would any on Giants .Maybe that is saying something in a way as I think or much every othervalbum might have st least one ........even 10 😁 In Never to look back . In Stranglers terms it is an average album , but decent enough to listen to , I am not trying to listen and trying to force myself to like as with Giants , and failing miserably ......every time I listened to that it sounded worse and .....well , just feeble imo . I think this maybe an even more divisive album than Giants as it seems to have split our fan base here more than ever. I did comment on best 10 albums with an update including DM and rated it around 11 overall , of course those mid rated albums can shift and change as the mood takes , my top 6 or 7 are pretty much static .......today maybe B&W may be better than The Raven , but they don't change much . The bottom 2 albums are pretty much always the same too .
All quiet ..........
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I think there is Stan. It's true that the production is bigger than the song itself but if that is what makes it work, then so be it. Bit like Loaded by Primal Scream. No Song there as such, it was originally a remix of a track off the previous album, but the production elevated it.
Less production would certainly show up the failings of White Stallion but they went big and it seems to have worked in wider opinion.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jetblacksdad wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 12:13 I think there is Stan. It's true that the production is bigger than the song itself but if that is what makes it work, then so be it. Bit like Loaded by Primal Scream. No Song there as such, it was originally a remix of a track off the previous album, but the production elevated it.
Less production would certainly show up the failings of White Stallion but they went big and it seems to have worked in wider opinion.
Well I love it, I keep singing it, or try to. Lt Kudu. :smt005
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

Well I have changed my mine about 6 times to what my fav track on DM is this also tells me how good this album really is love it start to finish
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 12:13 I think there is Stan. It's true that the production is bigger than the song itself but if that is what makes it work, then so be it. Bit like Loaded by Primal Scream.
You're comparing apples and oranges there. Dance tracks are mostly production based, whereas an album like Dark Matters is evidently song based.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

Yeah I like the song tbh, one of the best on the album ... but .... don't really think it works 'Live' albeit just going from phone videos Ive seen, and going back to 'TA" on whatever tour..... I'm not a fan of dad dancing :grin:
I'll make my mind up at the Leeds gig, if it happens due to the Covid carry on.