White Stallion

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: White Stallion

Post by Palais81 »

StanInBlack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 18:41
Cricklewood wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 18:04 The more I think about it, the more I would be curious of a Paul-led version of Stallion. I think his vocal style would suit well to the grand theatrics of it
I think if PR hadn't left the band, not only would Giants have been much stronger than it was but they probably would have put out more music by now.
He had to go. Norfolk Coast was/is really good but ultimately he was not a true born rocker, and really didn't suit the band. Having said that and arguing against myself, he was really good on the Norfolk Coast tour and also saw off the brass thankfully! There you go, Friday evening, I have been drinking, had me booster jab and am disagreeing with myself!
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I think MKIII should have continued for longer, Norfolk Coast was brilliant and Paul was excellent live.
I think they would have a little fared better commercially for a little bit, maybe another top 40 hit or two until the streaming took over.
Not sure how many of the "so glad they're back to a four piece" gang they'd have won over though...
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

I think Paul was really out of his comfort zone with Norfolk Coast. I'd like to see him singing "On Paper" though- with Dark Matters, one of the best releases of 2021. Thanks Parasite for being brill.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Palais81 wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 19:33 I think Paul was really out of his comfort zone with Norfolk Coast. I'd like to see him singing "On Paper" though- with Dark Matters, one of the best releases of 2021. Thanks Parasite for being brill.
:lol: I'd like to see that too.
And thanks, very kind of you. 8)
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 17:42
Cricklewood wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 17:39 From looking at the footage, I think the song would have benefited alot live if Paul was around as a 5 piece. It looked awkward with JJ half gesturing with his hands instead of them being on the bass. But with a separate lead singer, he would be free to play some extra basslines or something whilst Paul takes the bulk of the vocals
I wish PR hadn't left, to be honest with you. MKIII felt like a line-up that got cut short just as it was getting going.
This version did of course record Suite too but it was unreleased and vocals re recorded , but I would have been extremely interested to compare the two versions . Guess we will never hear the PR versions .
All quiet ..........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

parasiteinblack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 19:29 I think MKIII should have continued for longer, Norfolk Coast was brilliant and Paul was excellent live.
I think they would have a little fared better commercially for a little bit, maybe another top 40 hit or two until the streaming took over.
Not sure how many of the "so glad they're back to a four piece" gang they'd have won over though...
This is fair comment. As far as I am concerned Paul reached his peak just as he was booted out of the stranglers. I like the way Paul sang a lot of classic stranglers material, and to put it diplomatically, Baz lacks the dynamic range, or undiplomatically- authenticity on a staggering amount of material he’s charged with doing lead vocals on.

I still rate the SBE gig in 2005 as one of the best stranglers or solo gigs I’ve been to, and I saw the stranglers 3 times with Hugh. I’ve not seen a stranglers gig that came close to the 2005 SBE since to be honest, I haven’t seen the band without Jet and of course Dave and think it’s unlikely I will now, but have no ill will whatsoever to anyone who does.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

JJ rarely mentions the Paul Roberts era, if at all.Like it's been scrubbed from history.As if he's a bit embarrassed of it.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

"Paul was excellent live"
Really?

Ok he could sing, but acted like a knob. Not my cuppa tea at all.

The 4 piece return, apart from anything else, meant JJ started singing again. That alone made it worth it.
I Hate You !
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

aldinblack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 21:43 "Paul was excellent live"
Really?
Not my cup of tea at all.
Nor mine.I don't get why some fans loved it, I found it cringe.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

aldinblack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 21:43 "Paul was excellent live"
Really?
Yeah I was not a Paul fan at all really (although I liked ITN a lot) until I saw the band live, then it all just sort of clicked and I realised what a great job he was doing.
Ok he could sing, but acted like a knob. Not my cuppa tea at all.
That's fair enough, that's your opinion. I agree he could be a knob sometimes but it was the music I was mostly interested in and he could be quite funny too and seems a genuinely nice guy.
The 4 piece return, apart from anything else, meant JJ started singing again. That alone made it worth it.
Good point, but that may be literally the only positive from it.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

aldinblack wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 21:43 Ok he could sing, but acted like a knob. Not my cuppa tea at all.
Ah, that was just his brand of flamboyant showmanship!
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 19:52 This version did of course record Suite too but it was unreleased and vocals re recorded , but I would have been extremely interested to compare the two versions . Guess we will never hear the PR versions .
Would love to hear that version. I did listen to Paul singing Summat Outanowt live, but that was the only track from Suite that I could find.