White Stallion

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: White Stallion

Post by Bear Cage »

Homer wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 21:29 Yeah I like the song tbh, one of the best on the album ... but .... don't really think it works 'Live' albeit just going from phone videos Ive seen, and going back to 'TA" on whatever tour..... I'm not a fan of dad dancing :grin:
I'll make my mind up at the Leeds gig, if it happens due to the Covid carry on.
Agree you need to be at a gig to make your mind up. Video, especially phone recordings, never capture a live performance, so you can’t really tell unless you’re there and properly experience it live.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Tremendous song.
The material that I like the most on the album is where it’s different but definitely the band.

Water - Stranglers no doubt, but not trying to regurgitate old stuff, like Golden Boy or Valley OTB

If You Should See Dave - no keyboards for a start! And if you don’t have wry grin at the “solo should go” line, then you shouldn’t be registered member of this site.

If Something’s Going - hits my Kraftwerk soft spot . And possibly Baz’s best ever vocal.

White Stallion - throw the kitchen sink at a pretty normal song and BOOM! ( note, NOT Boom Boom)

Breathe - leaving the covid connotations aside, I just love this as the album closer. Wonderfully atmospheric, great vocal, and nothing like anything they’ve done before.

In my own head I can draw a musical line from Rattus to Dark Waters. It’s not a JJ album, nor a Baz, Paul, John album. It’s a Stranglers album, with a few little musical signatures that hopefully fire some neurons of recognition in the die hards - that’s you btw.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

In what way was "Valley of the Birds" a regurgitation of old stuff? It sounds - like everything on Written in Red - like a different band entirely.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jonimac wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 22:25 Tremendous song.
The material that I like the most on the album is where it’s different but definitely the band.

Water - Stranglers no doubt, but not trying to regurgitate old stuff, like Golden Boy or Valley OTB

If You Should See Dave - no keyboards for a start! And if you don’t have wry grin at the “solo should go” line, then you shouldn’t be registered member of this site.

If Something’s Going - hits my Kraftwerk soft spot . And possibly Baz’s best ever vocal.

White Stallion - throw the kitchen sink at a pretty normal song and BOOM! ( note, NOT Boom Boom)

Breathe - leaving the covid connotations aside, I just love this as the album closer. Wonderfully atmospheric, great vocal, and nothing like anything they’ve done before.

In my own head I can draw a musical line from Rattus to Dark Waters. It’s not a JJ album, nor a Baz, Paul, John album. It’s a Stranglers album, with a few little musical signatures that hopefully fire some neurons of recognition in the die hards - that’s you btw.
Yep..i agree with a lot of what you are saying the thing is everything this band has done from the very start to the present is that being the sound of the Stranglers the entity's ongoing journey where fans will always have time,members and material preferences along the way but you can never say that this is not the Sound of the Stranglers or it's a tribute band to the original one,the band that has produced albums from 77-21 is that being the sound of one ongoing Strangles band not matter what changes along the way for me,its' purely down to what fans either like or dislike to the very same entity until the entity ceases to exist and when it does and only then we will only have tribute bands to the one that once was.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 15 Dec 2021, 22:57, edited 4 times in total.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 22:34 In what way was "Valley of the Birds" a regurgitation of old stuff? It sounds - like everything on Written in Red - like a different band entirely.
Regurgitation indeed Stan.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 22:53
StanInBlack wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 22:34 In what way was "Valley of the Birds" a regurgitation of old stuff? It sounds - like everything on Written in Red - like a different band entirely.
Regurgitation indeed Stan.
So what "old stuff" is "Valley of the Birds" regurgitating, then? Like, which specific songs?
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Look up arpeggio Stan
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Stranglers do Disco,Punk, Opera a fantastic song. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 23:04 Look up arpeggio Stan
Yes, as someone who has studied music as an academic subject I'm aware of what an arpeggio is. Given that arpeggios are a signature part of Dave Greenfield's style, this should hardly be surprising. What I'm asking you is which specific songs is "Valley of the Birds" regurgitating?
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Greatkudu wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 23:20 Stranglers do Disco,Punk, Opera a fantastic song. Lt Kudu.
Cannot wait to see this live. Although it made me laugh watching the live footage, with JJ trying not to look awkward while waiting for a bit where he could play his bass.
A forthcoming highlight I’m sure. Whenever that will be…
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 23:43 Cannot wait to see this live. Although it made me laugh watching the live footage, with JJ trying not to look awkward while waiting for a bit where he could play his bass.
Which, of course, he THEN goes on to NOT do for the majority of the song.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 23:52 Which, of course, he THEN goes on to NOT do for the majority of the song.
Very true, but he actually plays more live than he does on the record. The odd strum now and again by the looks.