Simulation Theory

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Simulation Theory

Post by theraven1979 »

Had a weird dream the other evening probably as a result of too much Malbec. Basically I dreamt that I died and was living in a simulation. Seems to be in the media a fair bit but what do people reckon? Tall order I know and a lot of it is easily explained away but I think there's some substance to some of it.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Simulation Theory

Post by Manc In Black »

What substances are those then Jim ...
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Blue pill or the red pill innit?

Jim
Manc In Black wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 11:06 What substances are those then Jim ...
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Consider this, every night when you sleep your brain goes through a maintence cycle where it balances all the hormones and chemicals in your body.
It also processes your days thoughts and experiences and places them into long term storage, whilst all this is going on you dream.
In those dreams your brain (whilst very busy doing it's maintence) creates an entire universe for you to move around in - it only has to create the bit you are in at each moment and provide all the sights, sounds and smells as if it were real.

On those grounds it's not unimaginable to suppose a sufficiently advanced computer can do the same - with quantum computing as an example now a reality we will exceed the brains raw computing power soon - the further we go, the more complex a simulation could be.

It's a sound theory - our (observable) universe could be a simulation, it could've gone live 2 hours ago and all our memories and histories are pre-programmed - there's no way to disprove this.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

And that's what I find interesting about it. Even if the entire thing is BS (which as you mentioned it can't be proved that it is) it raises some interesting theories. https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/15-irre ... ation.html

Jim

Post by 8088 »

It's all fascinating - it's more than likely that the nature of reality is far more complex and mind blowing than we can think - as we are always limited to theories and ideas based on current knowledge and extrapolations of that knowledge.
For example, a Viking could never have imagined an iPhone because he had no conception of electronics or electricity...how far we've come in one thousand years and things are moving faster, another thousand years from now is literally beyond comprehension.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 11:48 It's a sound theory - our (observable) universe could be a simulation, it could've gone live 2 hours ago and all our memories and histories are pre-programmed - there's no way to disprove this.
Fucking hell, pass the Bacofoil.

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 01:57 Fucking hell, pass the Bacofoil.
It's a thought experiment not a conspiracy theory.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

8088 wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 11:48 Consider this, every night when you sleep your brain goes through a maintence cycle where it balances all the hormones and chemicals in your body.
It also processes your days thoughts and experiences and places them into long term storage, whilst all this is going on you dream.
In those dreams your brain (whilst very busy doing it's maintence) creates an entire universe for you to move around in - it only has to create the bit you are in at each moment and provide all the sights, sounds and smells as if it were real.

On those grounds it's not unimaginable to suppose a sufficiently advanced computer can do the same - with quantum computing as an example now a reality we will exceed the brains raw computing power soon - the further we go, the more complex a simulation could be.

It's a sound theory - our (observable) universe could be a simulation, it could've gone live 2 hours ago and all our memories and histories are pre-programmed - there's no way to disprove this.
I'd happily pay to be re-programmed!

Great theory!!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Post by 8088 »

jetblacksdad wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 11:00
I'd happily pay to be re-programmed!
Careful what you wish for :lol:
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly