dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 21:08
toilerinblack wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 20:45
aldinblack wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 20:41 Ok look so Jim has written a song, well done congratulations it's a good one not anywhere near my favourite on the album but still....

But to suggest that he has now "mastered" song writing is pushing it a bit IMO, I like Jim and the current setup and new album. But 3 established song writers?
Well I guess we can look forward to several new albums in the next few years then!
Well he's mastered the drums for sure his long record speaks for that itself and yes with the stranglers band alone like you say No Man's Land is his only one song recorded presently and it might turn out to be the only one he ever does with them currently we wouldn't know that yet but it's a cracker never the less and going by this one if in the future he can write another like it i'd like to hear it because No Man's Land along with White Stallion and Water i think are their strongest song's from DM and that's not bad for someone's first song with this band in my view,but he is certainly a mastered drummer with his record for me anyway.But yes i agree he can't be an established songwriter like you say not that i ever said he was an established one in the first place.
Sir time will tell if there is going to be another Stranglers album, I don't think the band know at this time, it all depends how they feel after the tour etc, of course part of the appeal with Dark Matters is the sad fact that it was Daves last recorded work, so thats made it a special and very emotional album, they really are showing raw emotions on this album with subjects of loss and depression etc. Lt Kudu.
Yes your right this could well be there their last and like we've been saying it's been incredible for them under the circumstances of Dave having got this completed in itself which has been a credit to the band for having done so and like we said that we felt it was so important to get behind them which most have.If this is to be their last i also think that's why Stallion with it's difference like never before with it's operatic's was good that they did at least the one track like that because we might never hear one like it again if they do call it a day,only time will tell how they feel in the long run of things.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Round and round and round and round we go.......it's like a Whirlpool.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

yeah exactly it's up to them, time will tell, it's their band anyway...
I Hate You !
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Theres certainly still time for one more album with JJ. If he's still got all these hundreds of ideas knocking you never know! Hopefully they have been still been working on ideas while they haven't been able to play live this year. They've already mentioned a new track Sisterhood haven't they.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

jason wrote:Theres certainly still time for one more album with JJ. If he's still got all these hundreds of ideas knocking you never know! Hopefully they have been still been working on ideas while they haven't been able to play live this year. They've already mentioned a new track Sisterhood haven't they.
Well I heard there was a new prolific song writer in the midst..
I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Who told you that? If someone other than JJ or Baz is writing the songs then it's hardly the Stranglers is it? I mean it's on ropey ground as it is.

Jim
aldinblack wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 09:01
jason wrote:Theres certainly still time for one more album with JJ. If he's still got all these hundreds of ideas knocking you never know! Hopefully they have been still been working on ideas while they haven't been able to play live this year. They've already mentioned a new track Sisterhood haven't they.
Well I heard there was a new prolific song writer in the midst..
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 09:10 Who told you that? If someone other than JJ or Baz is writing the songs then it's hardly the Stranglers is it? I mean it's on ropey ground as it is.

Jim
Most people in the DM camp accept This Song as a belter despite being a cover so I don't think it's relevant anymore?

If their next album was Felinesque (in sound and song writing quality) would anyone care too much if it was 75% written by the new keyboard player?

Once upon a time I would but not now - life's too short and good luck to them.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Well ultimately we have a choice right? We either keep on following whatever it is we're following with "The Stranglers" badge on it and keep handing the cash over or not.

Jim

8088 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 09:17
theraven1979 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 09:10 Who told you that? If someone other than JJ or Baz is writing the songs then it's hardly the Stranglers is it? I mean it's on ropey ground as it is.

Jim
Most people in the DM camp accept This Song as a belter despite being a cover so I don't think it's relevant anymore?

If their next album was Felinesque (in sound and song writing quality) would anyone care too much if it was 75% written by the new keyboard player?

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 09:38 Well ultimately we have a choice right? We either keep on following whatever it is we're following with "The Stranglers" badge on it and keep handing the cash over or not.

Jim

Jim

Of course. But I'm in the Stranglers without Hugh are a different Stranglers camp - and a Stranglers without Dave is a subset of that.
If they produce interesting output I'll still be listening - effectively it'd really be like a JJ solo album - which i'm all ears for too.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I kinda agree but if he was gonna do another solo album I'd rather he looked at other musicians - I think he needs to freshen it up tbh. Otherwise it'll just sound like another tired rock album.

Jim
8088 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 09:44
theraven1979 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 09:38 Well ultimately we have a choice right? We either keep on following whatever it is we're following with "The Stranglers" badge on it and keep handing the cash over or not.

Jim

Of course. But I'm in the Stranglers without Hugh are a different Stranglers camp - and a Stranglers without Dave is a subset of that.
If they produce interesting output I'll still be listening - effectively it'd really be like a JJ solo album - which i'm all ears for too.

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 09:48 I kinda agree but if he was gonna do another solo album I'd rather he looked at other musicians - I think he needs to freshen it up tbh. Otherwise it'll just sound like another tired rock album.

Jim
I agree. Given his musical influences and interests he could give wings to those with a different crop of musicians - so could Hugh come to that - they both were fans of left field music along with commercial stuff that hasn't really manifested itself in their recordings.

I guess with JJ's case his time is more divided with family, biking and martial arts commitments.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

theraven1979 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 09:10If someone other than JJ or Baz is writing the songs then it's hardly the Stranglers is it? I mean it's on ropey ground as it is.
Gone past ropey ground for me.That was with JJ, Dave, Baz and Jim.Each to their own of course but I don't have much appetite for it now.