dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by MiB81 »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 21:56 Round and round and round and round we go.......it's like a Whirlpool.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Indeed, as a great man once shouted,
You're makin' me dizzy, My head is spinnin',Like a whirlpool, it never ends...
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

8088 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 09:44 If they produce interesting output I'll still be listening - effectively it'd really be like a JJ solo album - which i'm all ears for too.
To be honest, id prefer a genuine solo album by JJ than a bit of JJ with a hell of a lot of baz and the 'fifth Beatle'. But I think that's unlikely now.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

JJ solo album would be welcome
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 11:33 To be honest, id prefer a genuine solo album by JJ than a bit of JJ with a hell of a lot of baz and the 'fifth Beatle'. But I think that's unlikely now.
Yes, I think that'd be a good idea too. To be honest, this "fifth Beatle" shit gets on my tits. Baz mentions it once briefly in a short video and people parrot it endlessly as if it means anything. Nicastro isn't on that level.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

No, not for me give me a stranglers album anyday of the week than another solo,a Hugh solo yes.So i don't get it really either Louie's done a great job which i think's not in questions on what he's produced on DM or he hasn't done a good job and to my ears it's some of the best production work from this band since i don't know how long in just my view.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 13 Oct 2021, 21:38, edited 4 times in total.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 19:05
Yes, I think that'd be a good idea too. To be honest, this "fifth Beatle" shit gets on my tits. Baz mentions it once briefly in a short video and people parrot it endlessly as if it means anything. Nicastro isn't on that level.
Comparing Louie Nicastro to George Martin is frankly ridiculous, Louie is a competent enough engineer who obviously does what the band asks, nothing more, nothing less. George Martin aka the Fifth Beatle, on the other hand was an innovator, who not only broke new boundaries in terms of recording techniques but he also really pushed performers to their limits.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Jake wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 19:46
Comparing Louie Nicastro to George Martin is frankly ridiculous, Louie is a component enough engineer who obviously does what the band asks, nothing more, nothing less. George Martin aka the Fifth Beatle, on the other hand was an innovator, who not only broke new boundaries in terms of recording techniques but he also really pushed performers to their limits.
The work Louie's done has been more than good enough for me i wouldn't of wanted anybody else to have done it what for to make it even better or stonger or more powerful? for me this album has been perfect on it's song's,the vocals,the sound,the production what more is their to improve on before some say it's a good album? each to their own i like it and that's all that matters to me.Louie was even great on If something's acoustic session track and vid he played with no thrills or spills he just got on with it and did what he had to do and just played beautiful keys to the song i thought it was a lovely acoustic version from the three of them overall,but each to their own we all think different.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 14 Oct 2021, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

toilerinblack wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 19:51
The work Louie's done has been more than good enough for me i wouldn't of wanted anybody else to have done it what for to make it even better or stonger or more powerful for me this album has been perfect on it's song's,the vocals,the sound,the production what more is their to improve on before some say it's a good album?

I just think it’s very standard engineering, not much in the way of production. A really good producer would try to get them to stand outside their comfort zone a bit more. I feel like he’s probably a bit of a yes man, who wouldn’t say, that could be done better. For example, I am not and never have been a fan of Baz’s vocals, but “If something gonna kill me”, his verses had a lot of potential, a good producer would nurture that a bit more, and encourage him to sing to his full potential elsewhere. There’s nothing exactly new in terms of recording techniques on this album by stranglers standards, it’s well mixed, but it isn’t ground breaking in terms of production, let’s put it this way it’s certainly no “Gospel According to the Meninblack”, now that had truly innovative production techniques, mostly I believe produced by the stranglers themselves.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well it's up to each individual if they think this album hasn't made the mark or not good enough i'm not going to keep defending it,it's everybody's right to say what they think and feel about it at the end of the day...that's what a forum is all about.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

toilerinblack wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 20:04 Well it's up to each individual if they think this album hasn't made the mark or not good enough i'm not going to keep defending it,it's everybody's right to say what they think and feel about it at the end of the day...that's what a forum is all about.
Totally fair comment Toilerinblack
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Jake wrote:
Comparing Louie Nicastro to George Martin is frankly ridiculous, Louie is a competent enough engineer who obviously does what the band asks, nothing more, nothing less. George Martin aka the Fifth Beatle, on the other hand was an innovator, who not only broke new boundaries in terms of recording techniques but he also really pushed performers to their limits.
The "5th beatle" comment is surely not intended to be a serious comparison, but just used as an expression to give the credit due to Louie for his big contribution to the album. I doubt anybody is suggesting that we're in the same class as George Martin here..
I Hate You !
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

aldinblack wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 22:59
Jake wrote:
The "5th beatle" comment is surely not intended to be a serious comparison, but just used as an expression to give the credit due to Louie for his big contribution to the album. I doubt anybody is suggesting that we're in the same class as George Martin here..
Yeh i'm sure he meant it as you have said nobody's comparing the two,he just couldn't praise him enough and was greatful for producing such a terrific album which he has and beyond that i think especially as Baz knew just how some of these raw gems first started out like and just how the final versions have ended up like in Louie's capable hands with such added production and not forgetting they've done their friend Dave proud too by finishing what was first started with him some years back and ended up probably better than they could of imagined it would,so yes it was just an overexcited compliment on Ba'z behalf i'm guessing and why not, i bet they can't wait to gig with some of these great songs too....It's been far to long now since they've played for their fans.