dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by Yanders »

Bobs a personality, his appearance on these things has less to do with the boomtown rats and more to do with being Sir Bob. Hed get on if he was selling a book or jam or something.

I think we're all impressed that billy still has hair and can fit into leather trousers. That's what gets him the media coverage.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yanders wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 14:46 Bobs a personality, his appearance on these things has less to do with the boomtown rats and more to do with being Sir Bob. Hed get on if he was selling a book or jam or something.

I think we're all impressed that billy still has hair and can fit into leather trousers. That's what gets him the media coverage.
With all respect to the Stranglers, of course they will always be my favourite band, but Billy Idol had stratospheric success in the States and probably elsewhere, so he's a far bigger name globally, I loved Generation X but went off Billy when he went to the States but he did some classics like Rebel Yell etc, and his latest EP has a more reflective edge,i think his best work for years. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 16:18
Yanders wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 14:46 Bobs a personality, his appearance on these things has less to do with the boomtown rats and more to do with being Sir Bob. Hed get on if he was selling a book or jam or something.

With all respect to the Stranglers, of course they will always be my favourite band, but Billy Idol had stratospheric success in the States and probably elsewhere, so he's a far bigger name globally, I loved Generation X but went off Billy when he went to the States but he did some classics like Rebel Yell etc, and his latest EP has a more reflective edge,i think his best work for years. Lt Kudu.
I saw him live in the Generation X days..the good old days,like you say he's been massive in the states as a solo artist i always knew he'd be as big as he's turned out to be and well deserved too i say, like you say he's had no end of massive classic's the list is endless that i've liked over the decades and in one of my old band's we used to do White Wedding as a cover.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Their future looks good with now three songwriters giving them a different twang and direction...JJ,Baz,Jim,Jim has proved himself what with such a good song with No Man's Land...It dosen't surprise me as he's now played with so many different musician's and bands through his career,that is how i've found you get better and better at your craft the more you play with different good musician's you learn and pick up so much knowledge with all their difference's and approches to music in general with styles and techniques, he's learnt his craft very well i think mastering both playing and writing.I learnt to play so young on my own for years but i learnt more in a year playing with other musician's than in ten on my own,just my take on things especially having looked at Jim's career recently and just who he has played with i was quite surprised at the good bands he's played for obviously before joining the best one..... the stranglers.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 18:29 Their future looks good with now three songwriters giving them a different twang and direction
As did MKIII and MKII had four songwriters and... so? Jim wrote the lyrics to "No Man's Land", which I thought were pretty crap even before I realised he was the one responsible.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 16:59

I saw him live in the Generation X days..the good old days,like you say he's been massive in the states as a solo artist i always knew he'd be as big as he's turned out to be and well deserved too i say, like you say he's had no end of massive classic's the list is endless that i've liked over the decades and in one of my old band's we used to do White Wedding as a cover.
Yes well his new EP is some of the best stuff he has done, very reflective, he looks amazing for 65 still has the look, JJ doesn't seem to like him? Or he didn't? I think the Stranglers were on the same bill at Guilfest some years ago and JJ thought he was acting like the big star, but the reality is that he was a big star, your so lucky to have seen him with Generation X, one of the best bands from the Punk period IMHO.Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Billy Idol at his commercial peak was a bigger star than any of The Stranglers ever were or will be. That hardly matters though when your music is a steaming pile of arse. The Stranglers at their artistic peak made far better music. Perhaps more of a selective appeal, but artistically superior and more lasting.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 20:04
toilerinblack wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 18:29 Their future looks good with now three songwriters giving them a different twang and direction
As did MKIII and MKII had four songwriters and... so? Jim wrote the lyrics to "No Man's Land", which I thought were pretty crap even before I realised he was the one responsible.
[/quote
It's a powerful and creative song to my ears i think both musically and lyrically and i loved it on hearing it the first time on release day and i didn't even know Jim wrote it,another song that will go down a storm on the tours if they do it...i hope so in just my opinion again each to their own as usual.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 20:07
toilerinblack wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 16:59

Yes well his new EP is some of the best stuff he has done, very reflective, he looks amazing for 65 still has the look, JJ doesn't seem to like him? Or he didn't? I think the Stranglers were on the same bill at Guilfest some years ago and JJ thought he was acting like the big star, but the reality is that he was a big star, your so lucky to have seen him with Generation X, one of the best bands from the Punk period IMHO.Lt Kudu.
Yes he was one of the best from that period i think he's also done some really nice acoustic version's live of the harder stuff that sounded really good as an alternative version and he's got a great lead guitarist with him too....Billy's a real rocker!
Last edited by toilerinblack on 12 Oct 2021, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Ok look so Jim has written a song, well done congratulations it's a good one not anywhere near my favourite on the album but still....

But to suggest that he has now "mastered" song writing is pushing it a bit IMO, I like Jim and the current setup and new album. But 3 established song writers?
Well I guess we can look forward to several new albums in the next few years then!
I Hate You !
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

aldinblack wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 20:41 Ok look so Jim has written a song, well done congratulations it's a good one not anywhere near my favourite on the album but still....

But to suggest that he has now "mastered" song writing is pushing it a bit IMO, I like Jim and the current setup and new album. But 3 established song writers?
Well I guess we can look forward to several new albums in the next few years then!
Well he's mastered the drums for sure his long record speaks for that itself and yes with the stranglers band alone like you say No Man's Land is his only one song recorded presently and it might turn out to be the only one he ever does with them currently we wouldn't know that yet but it's a cracker never the less and going by this one if in the future he can write another like it i'd like to hear it because No Man's Land along with White Stallion and Water i think are their strongest song's from DM and that's not bad for someone's first song with this band in my view,but he is certainly a mastered drummer with his record for me anyway.But yes i agree he can't be an established songwriter like you say not that i ever said he was an established one in the first place.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 20:45
aldinblack wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 20:41 Ok look so Jim has written a song, well done congratulations it's a good one not anywhere near my favourite on the album but still....

Well he's mastered the drums for sure his long record speaks for that itself and yes with the stranglers band alone like you say No Man's Land is his only one song recorded presently and it might turn out to be the only one he ever does with them currently we wouldn't know that yet but it's a cracker never the less and going by this one if in the future he can write another like it i'd like to hear it because No Man's Land along with White Stallion and Water i think are their strongest song's from DM and that's not bad for someone's first song with this band in my view,but he is certainly a mastered drummer with his record for me anyway.But yes i agree he can't be an established songwriter like you say not that i ever said he was an established one in the first place.
Sir time will tell if there is going to be another Stranglers album, I don't think the band know at this time, it all depends how they feel after the tour etc, of course part of the appeal with Dark Matters is the sad fact that it was Daves last recorded work, so thats made it a special and very emotional album, they really are showing raw emotions on this album with subjects of loss and depression etc. Lt Kudu.