dark matters chart chances

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: dark matters chart chances

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 22:59
Jake wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 19:05
Yes, I think that'd be a good idea too. To be honest, this "fifth Beatle" shit gets on my tits. Baz mentions it once briefly in a short video and people parrot it endlessly as if it means anything. Nicastro isn't on that level.
Comparing Louie Nicastro to George Martin is frankly ridiculous, Louie is a competent enough engineer who obviously does what the band asks, nothing more, nothing less. George Martin aka the Fifth Beatle, on the other hand was an innovator, who not only broke new boundaries in terms of recording techniques but he also really pushed performers to their limits.
The "5th beatle" comment is surely not intended to be a serious comparison, but just used as an expression to give the credit due to Louie for his big contribution to the album. I doubt anybody is suggesting that we're in the same class as George Martin here..
I think people are getting their knickers in a twist about the Fifth Beatle comment, like you said it was Baz showing appreciation for what Louie did, he pulled it all together in a time when the band were in bits with the loss of Dave and White Stallion is so much Louie, JJ and Baz love what he's done, not forgetting Jim, Louie really should get praise for what hes done, and if I see him in France in November, i shall personally thank him for his production and arrangements. Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Greatkudu wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 21:09
aldinblack wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 22:59
Jake wrote:
Comparing Louie Nicastro to George Martin is frankly ridiculous, Louie is a competent enough engineer who obviously does what the band asks, nothing more, nothing less. George Martin aka the Fifth Beatle, on the other hand was an innovator, who not only broke new boundaries in terms of recording techniques but he also really pushed performers to their limits.
The "5th beatle" comment is surely not intended to be a serious comparison, but just used as an expression to give the credit due to Louie for his big contribution to the album. I doubt anybody is suggesting that we're in the same class as George Martin here..
I think people are getting their knickers in a twist about the Fifth Beatle comment, like you said it was Baz showing appreciation for what Louie did, he pulled it all together in a time when the band were in bits with the loss of Dave and White Stallion is so much Louie, JJ and Baz love what he's done, not forgetting Jim, Louie really should get praise for what hes done, and if I see him in France in November, i shall personally thank him for his production and arrangements. Lt Kudu.
Here here Lt Kudo
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

Dark Matters is 88 on the Album Sales Chart this week, down from 54, 5 weeks on the Chart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

STEVEh wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 19:17 Dark Matters is 88 on the Album Sales Chart this week, down from 54, 5 weeks on the Chart.

It's Hanging around nicely!
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

STEVEh wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 19:17 Dark Matters is 88 on the Album Sales Chart this week, down from 54, 5 weeks on the Chart.

That's about 3 weeks more on chart than I expected , actually that's an eternity these days .
All quiet ..........
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

aldinblack wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 22:59 The "5th beatle" comment is surely not intended to be a serious comparison, but just used as an expression to give the credit due to Louie for his big contribution to the album. I doubt anybody is suggesting that we're in the same class as George Martin here..
Of course I don't think Baz was suggesting Louie Nicastro was in the same league as George Martin, because he obviously isn't. It is irritating, though, when someone makes a small comment like that in an interview and some take it upon themselves to parrot it endlessly.
It's a shame it's not the chart that matters, eh?
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

It is nigh on impossible for a band to stay in the overall top 100 which is based largely on streaming. Even some of the supposed big bands of the present day have a short time span.

At least the sales chart is a reflection of people actually being prepared to part with their cash or even make an effort to go to a shop and buy it. For me that makes Dark Matters initial number 4 placing in the overall chart all the more impressive when set against the present day market trend as the majority of its numbers were on sales.

It is what it is. You can’t compare the charts of the 70s and 80s to now but as the saying goes you can only deal with what’s in front of you and on that basis Dark Matters has done well.

I am sure you will disagree though Stan.

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 22:30
aldinblack wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 22:59 The "5th beatle" comment is surely not intended to be a serious comparison, but just used as an expression to give the credit due to Louie for his big contribution to the album. I doubt anybody is suggesting that we're in the same class as George Martin here..
Of course I don't think Baz was suggesting Louie Nicastro was in the same league as George Martin, because he obviously isn't. It is irritating, though, when someone makes a small comment like that in an interview and some take it upon themselves to parrot it endlessly.
It's a shame it's not the chart that matters, eh?
Yes true about the charts like you say but it might of been a passing comment from Baz who more than went on about Louie's contribution than a passing comment on my hearing of it all,but i think Louie's work on pulling this album off with the production quality it has does deserve all the praise he gets even if you drop the 5th Beatle tag like you say.If people have enjoyed DM as much as i have will also agree that he does deserve all the praise from the band and it's fans that he's getting.