Who is britians best ever punk band!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Who is britians best ever punk band!

Post by Greatkudu »

Palais81 wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 22:55 And let's not forget Polly Styrene clambering over germ free adolescents. Her voice and that saxophone - weirdly wonderful.
Yes she was great, so sad when she passed away, she had a terrible time in layer years. Lt Kudu. And what a sax player Laura Logic was, I always wondered did she do backing vocals on Hey Rose of the Robots as well as play Sax. Lt Kudu.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Palais81 wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 22:24
markorbit wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 19:05
Greatkudu wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 18:51 For just the fact of Charlie Harper it has to be the UK Subs. Lt Kudu.
Yep. Charlie is 100% the real deal. Some of the rest I'm not so sure.
Mighty impressed you were in the Subs. Must have had a crazy time touring!
It had it's moments that's for sure.

I forgot but there is a Stranglers link.... if you visited the Stranglers website recently you might have seen that Baz has added some news about his friend Darrell Bath recently passing. A young Darrell joined the UK Subs in 1987. I probably did 40 or so gigs alongside him. He went on to be quite the rock and roller in every respect - he ended up in Dogs D'Amour, Ian Hunter (Mott The Hoople) and loads more.
Let's Boogie
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

markorbit wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 21:20
markorbit wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 19:05

Yep. Charlie is 100% the real deal. Some of the rest I'm not so sure.

I forgot but there is a Stranglers link.... if you visited the Stranglers website recently you might have seen that Baz has added some news about his friend Darrell Bath recently passing. A young Darrell joined the UK Subs in 1987. I probably did 40 or so gigs alongside him. He went on to be quite the rock and roller in every respect - he ended up in Dogs D'Amour, Ian Hunter (Mott The Hoople) and loads more.
It's sad he has passed. I saw the Dogs D'Amour in 87/88 at a small gig in Southampton (even though it's not listed on Setlist). Loads of dry ice, nice scuzzy rock and very loud. I really should make a list of all bands I have seen sometime....Did you go on to play with any other bands after the Subs?
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Palais81 wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 22:36
markorbit wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 21:20

It's sad he has passed. I saw the Dogs D'Amour in 87/88 at a small gig in Southampton (even though it's not listed on Setlist). Loads of dry ice, nice scuzzy rock and very loud. I really should make a list of all bands I have seen sometime....Did you go on to play with any other bands after the Subs?
None to speak of really. The music scene in the late 80s/90s was very uninspiring although I quite like some of the house, techno and trance now.
Let's Boogie
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

It’s so subjective, not something that I can be very objective about either. I’d tend towards saying the stranglers were the best first wave punk bands, some people go apeshit at the idea of the stranglers being punk, but a lot of old punks I’ve met speak highly of them. That Rock goes to college performance is one of the most punk as fuck things out there. The Clash were completely tame by comparison.

I’d also give a lot of praise to Siouxsie Sioux as a great original punk, but virtually nothing the Banshees released sounds like stereotypical punk, and the better for it. The Slits were a great punk band from the first wave too, very different to all the others

I find the majority of punk a chore to listen to these days, but still have a lot of punk spirit in me 8)
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Jake wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 00:17 It’s so subjective, not something that I can be very objective about either. I’d tend towards saying the stranglers were the best first wave punk bands, some people go apeshit at the idea of the stranglers being punk, but a lot of old punks I’ve met speak highly of them. That Rock goes to college performance is one of the most punk as fuck things out there. The Clash were completely tame by comparison.

I’d also give a lot of praise to Siouxsie Sioux as a great original punk, but virtually nothing the Banshees released sounds like stereotypical punk, and the better for it. The Slits were a great punk band from the first wave too, very different to all the others

I find the majority of punk a chore to listen to these days, but still have a lot of punk spirit in me 8)
Yes , I guess there are many different standards or criteria to judge it by . Talent wise , if The Stranglers are included , and I don't see why not , they are heads and shoulders above the opposition . For impacts it's the Pistols , for social comment it might be The Clash though arguement also for Crass and a lot of the anarcho bands or Angelic Upstarts ( give me a listen if you don't know about them ) .The Jam should also be in there in similar fashion to The Stranglers .Originally The Slits , though I don't much like their stuff .Buzzcocks and UK Subs , SLF worthy contenders each for their own reasons . Sham 69 for pure laddishness and street level , as I think punk was meant to be at its purest level .....not privelidged sons of diplomats but more your common street urchin ( Cockney Rejects ? ) . Punk at outset was a closed group of a few people , only later when the masses got it did it evolve into punk we know now , the early groups were a I have said far more experimental , but most moved on or quit .The later bands to me were the real punk attitude ......but maybe less interesting .
All quiet ..........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 15:20

Yes , I guess there are many different standards or criteria to judge it by . Talent wise , if The Stranglers are included , and I don't see why not , they are heads and shoulders above the opposition . For impacts it's the Pistols , for social comment it might be The Clash though arguement also for Crass and a lot of the anarcho bands or Angelic Upstarts ( give me a listen if you don't know about them ) .The Jam should also be in there in similar fashion to The Stranglers .Originally The Slits , though I don't much like their stuff .Buzzcocks and UK Subs , SLF worthy contenders each for their own reasons . Sham 69 for pure laddishness and street level , as I think punk was meant to be at its purest level .....not privelidged sons of diplomats but more your common street urchin ( Cockney Rejects ? ) . Punk at outset was a closed group of a few people , only later when the masses got it did it evolve into punk we know now , the early groups were a I have said far more experimental , but most moved on or quit .The later bands to me were the real punk attitude ......but maybe less interesting .

Discharge surely deserve an honourable mention, highly influential band who formed after going to a stranglers gig in 1977 no less, some good early releases, but have zero interest in the tribute act they are now.

As for what punk should and shouldn’t be, that’s always one of the most off putting aspects. I can’t stand punk elitism, all about how someone should or shouldn’t look a certain way. Punk is much more an attitude of mind than set of clothes where I’m concerned

As I say, I don’t really enjoy listening to most punk these days, definitely prefer the more “New Wave” side of the 77 UK bands, and the New York CBGBs bands; Blondie, Ramones, Dead Boys do a lot more for me than most British punk bands, would sooner stick them on than most of the British bands. Dead Kennedy’s were a great “proper” punk band too, Crass thought they had a good sense of humour, but the Kennedy’s genuinely did, wouldn’t touch em with a bargepole without Jello though.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Jake wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 00:17 It’s so subjective, not something that I can be very objective about either. I’d tend towards saying the stranglers were the best first wave punk bands, some people go apeshit at the idea of the stranglers being punk, but a lot of old punks I’ve met speak highly of them. That Rock goes to college performance is one of the most punk as fuck things out there. The Clash were completely tame by comparison.

Nicely summed up. Can't argue with that!
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Jake wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 17:31

Discharge surely deserve an honourable mention, highly influential band who formed after going to a stranglers gig in 1977 no less, some good early releases, but have zero interest in the tribute act they are now.

As for what punk should and shouldn’t be, that’s always one of the most off putting aspects. I can’t stand punk elitism, all about how someone should or shouldn’t look a certain way. Punk is much more an attitude of mind than set of clothes where I’m concerned

As I say, I don’t really enjoy listening to most punk these days, definitely prefer the more “New Wave” side of the 77 UK bands, and the New York CBGBs bands; Blondie, Ramones, Dead Boys do a lot more for me than most British punk bands, would sooner stick them on than most of the British bands. Dead Kennedy’s were a great “proper” punk band too, Crass thought they had a good sense of humour, but the Kennedy’s genuinely did, wouldn’t touch em with a bargepole without Jello though.
I maybe missed a lot of the 2nd or 3rd wave as many non punk fans wouldn't be aware of them .Saw both Discharge and DK's in 1981 , Discharge had then unknown GBH as support band . Garry Bushnell hated Discharge , I liked them but I guess by then the band's were mostly quite serious , in that there wasn't much of a fun element around as in say The Damned , punk was by then a pretty violent culture , but they all were to each other then . Jello Biafra was one of the best front men I have seen , a real showman and he meant what he said , I would like to see John Lydon try to argue with him as I think he would get it back tenfold .
The funny thing is I am still finding band's to listen to , a lot of European stuff we ignored or were unaware of back then .....there are some very good bands like The Kids , Ivy Green not just the Plastic Bertrand types . I would say almost The Kids are the Belgian Ramones , don't be put off by the name .
Should I mention The Exploited, still going I think , many disliked them due to oi association .I liked their early stuff , though can't make out to this day if Fuck the Mods was serious or a joke .
All quiet ..........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 21:32

I maybe missed a lot of the 2nd or 3rd wave as many non punk fans wouldn't be aware of them .Saw both Discharge and DK's in 1981 , Discharge had then unknown GBH as support band . Garry Bushnell hated Discharge , I liked them but I guess by then the band's were mostly quite serious , in that there wasn't much of a fun element around as in say The Damned , punk was by then a pretty violent culture , but they all were to each other then . Jello Biafra was one of the best front men I have seen , a real showman and he meant what he said , I would like to see John Lydon try to argue with him as I think he would get it back tenfold .
The funny thing is I am still finding band's to listen to , a lot of European stuff we ignored or were unaware of back then .....there are some very good bands like The Kids , Ivy Green not just the Plastic Bertrand types . I would say almost The Kids are the Belgian Ramones , don't be put off by the name .
Should I mention The Exploited, still going I think , many disliked them due to oi association .I liked their early stuff , though can't make out to this day if Fuck the Mods was serious or a joke .

There’s always stuff that gets missed out, but no The Exploited just sounded brain dead to me.
That would be good to see Jello in a face off with John Lydon though…
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Jake wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 21:46

There’s always stuff that gets missed out, but no The Exploited just sounded brain dead to me.
Yes , totally brain-dead but for some reason I liked them , still listen on occasion to their early stuff , more so than Discharge really , though in a way like Sid Vicious , The Exploited are just cartoon punk....as Hugh once said , doing what punks are supposed to be doing .
All quiet ..........
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 22:05
Jake wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 21:46

Yes , totally brain-dead but for some reason I liked them , still listen on occasion to their early stuff , more so than Discharge really , though in a way like Sid Vicious , The Exploited are just cartoon punk....as Hugh once said , doing what punks are supposed to be doing .
That's why I have always liked The Damned and Anti Nowhere League- it's their humour. Punk had several guises - anger, political, teenage angst, menace (the Stranglers) and humour. For about 5 or 6 years you could choose guide to listen to. Here's a question: is it plausible for a group of youngsters to form a punk band in 2021? Or has the new punk boat well and truly left port never to return? If it is not plausible then I will have to continue seeing the originals whilst I can! Cosmic Pyschos were the last punk band I saw. Very rude, great riffs and very funny.....