Who is britians best ever punk band!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Who is britians best ever punk band!

Post by Palais81 »

In the following order (and breaking the rules by including foreign bands), the 10 best punk bands:

1 The Stranglers
2 Sex Pistols
3 The Damned
4 Killing Joke
5 The Saints
6 Anti Nowhere League
7 Buzzcocks
8 Dead Kennedys
9 New Model Army
10 The Clash

All of the above have produced at least one punk album (which may or may not be their best album). An honourable mention to Cosmic Pyschos as well.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

A mention for Subway Sect , didn't last long and by and large forgotten now .Siouxsie and Banshees , didn't sound punk as people expect punk to be now ......but what was punk ? There are supposed to be no rules , so who says any Stranglers song can't be punk if Buzzcocks love songs are ? Punk wasn't so narrow minded at the start , anything could be .The later bands started to follow the thrash guitar bass anger blueprint . Early bands had pretty much nothing to go by so we're more experimental .
All quiet ..........
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 16:26 A mention for Subway Sect , didn't last long and by and large forgotten now .Siouxsie and Banshees , didn't sound punk as people expect punk to be now ......but what was punk ? There are supposed to be no rules , so who says any Stranglers song can't be punk if Buzzcocks love songs are ? Punk wasn't so narrow minded at the start , anything could be .The later bands started to follow the thrash guitar bass anger blueprint . Early bands had pretty much nothing to go by so we're more experimental .
Totally agree with you. I nearly included the Banshees. They went a similar route as the Clash ie it took them a couple of albums before they found their feet musically. I saw them on the Peep Show tour and they were brilliant. Also saw their spin off The Creatures who were also excellent. I loved the way the Banshees morphed into one of the best gothic bands but always pushing themselves musically. Plus there was Siouxsie - rock goddess.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

For just the fact of Charlie Harper it has to be the UK Subs. Lt Kudu.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 18:51 For just the fact of Charlie Harper it has to be the UK Subs. Lt Kudu.
Yep. Charlie is 100% the real deal. Some of the rest I'm not so sure.
Let's Boogie
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Further good punk bands: The Vibrators, Dead Boys, 999, Adverts,...
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

markorbit wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 19:05
Greatkudu wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 18:51 For just the fact of Charlie Harper it has to be the UK Subs. Lt Kudu.
Yep. Charlie is 100% the real deal. Some of the rest I'm not so sure.
Mighty impressed you were in the Subs. Must have had a crazy time touring!
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Lafleur wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 21:43 Further good punk bands: The Vibrators, Dead Boys, 999, Adverts,...
Yep I remember these bands. Does anyone remember an EP called Snuff Rock that came out in 77/78? Mixture of punk and reggae about doing yourself in.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Palais81 wrote:
Lafleur wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 21:43 Further good punk bands: The Vibrators, Dead Boys, 999, Adverts,...
Yep I remember these bands. Does anyone remember an EP called Snuff Rock that came out in 77/78? Mixture of punk and reggae about doing yourself in.
Alberto y lost trios paranoias. Saw them live a couple of times in the 70’s. Great fun.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

Angelic Upstarts & Stiff Little Fingers

Inflammable Material a really good punk album
See You At The Bar
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

toilerinblack wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 22:01
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 12:15
Boody wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 11:53 For a pure punk sound (to this day) U.K. Subs are certainly the great punk survivors. Last time I saw them was in a pub in High Wycombe around 18 months ago. Uncle Charlie was in the crowd with a can of cider watching the support bands - top bloke.
Yes a top man, 999 great survivors to. Lt Kudu.
Yep theres another good band 999.......i agree too.
999 were excellent live

Separates a fine album
See You At The Bar
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

And let's not forget Polly Styrene clambering over germ free adolescents. Her voice and that saxophone - weirdly wonderful.