Who is britians best ever punk band!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Who is britians best ever punk band!

Post by Jake »

Palais81 wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 23:15
That's why I have always liked The Damned and Anti Nowhere League- it's their humour. Punk had several guises - anger, political, teenage angst, menace (the Stranglers) and humour. For about 5 or 6 years you could choose guide to listen to. Here's a question: is it plausible for a group of youngsters to form a punk band in 2021? Or has the new punk boat well and truly left port never to return? If it is not plausible then I will have to continue seeing the originals whilst I can! Cosmic Pyschos were the last punk band I saw. Very rude, great riffs and very funny.....

I’d say yes, when you look at what that lot Bob Vylan are doing as one example, not really my cup of tea these days, but fuck loads better than a lot of newer “punk acts”. I’ve got quite a jaded view of the punk “scene” based on personal experience, probably accounts for why I find a lot about “punk” a disingenuous bore these days, life’s too short and all that. That Bob Vylan lot do sound pretty much authentic though.
There’s also never been a better time for punk bands, but it seems most bands these days don’t have a lot to say, and for the most part it seems to be the rich kids making the music these days not rebelling about anything.
Jon the Impaler wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 22:05
Yes , totally brain-dead but for some reason I liked them , still listen on occasion to their early stuff , more so than Discharge really , though in a way like Sid Vicious , The Exploited are just cartoon punk....as Hugh once said , doing what punks are supposed to be doing .
That’s very true, and a reminder why the stranglers are a cut above the rest when it comes to punk music, or certainly their actual “punk” stuff. For some reason I have been giving Live X Cert a few listens lately. Whilst it’s maybe not a great album in terms of sound quality, it is a total punk rock record, probably captures the stranglers at their most punk sounding.
kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou »

Two bands not mentioned so far (I think) but whilst not 'the best' are right up there IMO. My friends and I played their LPs to death down the local youth club back in the day:

The Rezillos: Always good fun, 'sci-fi' punk maybe. 'Can't stand the....' is a great album. Still put on a good show.

The Vibrators: Loved 'Pure Mania', an underrated punk album and to a lesser extent its follow-up, V2. Quickly downhill from there though, after some bloke called John Ellis left. Wonder what happened to him?

The best? For me:
Pistols - one killer album and the notoriety.
Damned - first and best ever punk single, New Rose. First album a punk classic
Clash - first album
And of course, the Stranglers, whilst not quite 'punk' in the traditional musical sense (whatever that is) they are definitely the best because of the menace and antagonism towards everything mainstream, which was what punk as an attitude was all about. Whilst others (including those listed above) were trying, sometimes too hard, to be 'punk', The Stranglers couldn't give a fuck, which particularly appealed to me as a spotty teenager at the time.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

999, Vibrators, SlF

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"