Damned Original Reunion on the cards?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Damned Original Reunion on the cards?

Post by theraven1979 »

O2 venues are soulless cesspits.anyway. always pisses me off when good bands play there

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I get that all venues have had a brutal two years, and the future doesnt look rosie.

But theres something blatant about O2 being there for the profit only and not too bothered about encouraging a scene? I suspect they treat bigger acts better because they attract bums on seats, and assume the smaller acts are just happy to be there, and will perform at a loss. When its probably they only chance of real money they have all year.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Yanders wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 11:38 I get that all venues have had a brutal two years, and the future doesnt look rosie.

But theres something blatant about O2 being there for the profit only and not too bothered about encouraging a scene? I suspect they treat bigger acts better because they attract bums on seats, and assume the smaller acts are just happy to be there, and will perform at a loss. When its probably they only chance of real money they have all year.
As far as I understand these venues insist on their merch fees just the same but I'm no expert. What is annoying is when someone insists on the support acts' T Shirt prices to be the same as the main act. On the Billy Idol tour all shirts were £35 but if you saw Toyah at her own gigs they were £20 or so. It stinks and I don't know how we ended up with the venues having a say. As if they don't charge enough at the bar.
Let's Boogie
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The booze selection is shite and when you complain about the ridiculous beer prices they look at you like "don't like it, don't buy it" which is great and all but c'mon this is supposed to be entertaining fun night out.

Top be fair the stranglers are pretty much the only band I follow that still play these shit holes

Jim

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

That said I did spend £44 at the bar last night in York Barbican lol

Jim

manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

The day has finally arrived,who's going?
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I'll be there, I'm the one that looks like me.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 25 Oct 2022, 12:51 The booze selection is shite and when you complain about the ridiculous beer prices they look at you like "don't like it, don't buy it" which is great and all but c'mon this is supposed to be entertaining fun night out.

Top be fair the stranglers are pretty much the only band I follow that still play these shit holes

Jim

What’s really frustrating about the booze is the crap choice (Carlsberg lager and John Smiths bitter, or similar). Even though already exorbitant, I’d pay slightly more for a descent ale, but that’s not normally an option.
Still looking forward to The Damned, Skids and T. Smith tonight (plus possibly Smalltown Tigers, depending upon what time I get there / what time they’re on).
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

parasiteinblack wrote: 28 Oct 2022, 15:07 I'll be there, I'm the one that looks like me.
As will I, but I look like someone else
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

We look forward to in depth reviews,no pressure chaps,of course they won't be as good as mine, joking of course. :smt005 Lt Kudu back from 144mph R6 bike ride :smt013
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Really enjoyable night of nostalgia, I spent too long in the pub so missed the only new band, Smalltown Tigers (who were on at 1830), but caught all of TV Smith, who ripped through a classic set of Adverts.
Skids, as always were really good, with Jobbo on top form (they never quite captured how good a band they were/are on any of their albums), finishing with TV Stars and then a great cover of Complete Control.
The Damned then came on at about 1/4 past nine, Brian James needed help walking and didn’t look well, but they ripped into I Feel Alright as if it was 77. They then preceded to play most of DDD and MFP, so included a couple of tracks I’d never seen them play. Scabies was as busy as ever, and Sensible on bass really did some heavy lifting, driving many of the songs.
Surprise track was in the encore, a cover of Pills/Rock en Roll Chicken, followed by the Stones’ The Last Time, and looking at Brian I really think this is.
All too soon the gig was over, a really enjoyable night of nostalgia but overall the limited catalogue drawn from meant I think the current line-up put on a better (and more affordable) show (even if their last album, Evil Spirits, was possibly their worst)
Last edited by Bear Cage on 29 Oct 2022, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Im glad you had a great time. Sorry to hear about Brian James, i wonder if his health motivated the tour.