Best MUSIC books read

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Best MUSIC books read

Post by MiB81 »

porkymeat wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 23:17 The Patti Smith ones are are good, she doesn't concentrate on the music that much but she can actually write.
I've had Just Kids for a while, tried but couldn't get into it for some reason, might dig it back out again ...
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Deke Leonard of Man write three volumes of memoirs- all a cracking good read, even if the last one is a bit self pitying.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Russ65 wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 19:21 Quite enjoyed Chris Difford's Some Fantastic Place which I read recently.
Might look into that one thanks :wink:
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Having already read I Was A Robot by Wolfgang Flur, and Man, Machine and Music by Pascal Bussy, I just ordered, and am
looking forward to -

Kraftwerk: Future Music from Germany

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kraftwerk-Futu ... 179&sr=1-1
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

I think I've only read books on The Stranglers , Clash , Pistols , Ramones individually . General books on music - Burning Britain ( punk 80 onwards ) , John Robbs punk book , and a few others . Magazine wise Sniffin glue was an interesting read on early punk , similar really I suppose to Strangled ........nice in those days as it was a way of getting news totally unbiased from music press . Must have some other books on punk band but can't remember them off top of my head . Got Lemmy's book which was interesting on Motorhead etc .
All quiet ..........
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Apart from the obvious Stranglers ones I think the Siouxsie biography is probably the best one I've read.
A couple of Laurie Anderson's books are really interesting too.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
cerdan6899
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by cerdan6899 »

Bruce Dickinson ( Iron Maiden ) autobiography a good read. Can't say i'm a fan of the band but an interesting and tallented guy.
i want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dead ringer »

Joe Strummer - Redemption Song

Rick Wakeman - Grumpy Old Rock Star 1&2

Neil Peart - Ghost Rider
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Boody wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 11:37 Punk rock an oral history by John Rob. Fantastically put together with just about everyone of note in the first wave U.K. punk scene contributing one way or another.
I think this is better than the Jon Savage book by a long way.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 20:28
Boody wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 11:37 Punk rock an oral history by John Rob. Fantastically put together with just about everyone of note in the first wave U.K. punk scene contributing one way or another.
Love the John Robb book, does that Savage nobjockey ever mention The Stranglers in his book?
Never read it like, prob never will.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 21:39
Love the John Robb book, does that Savage nobjockey ever mention The Stranglers in his book?
I read The England's Dreaming Tapes by Jon Savage recently, which is "the full, uncut retelling of the sensational story behind the cultural moment that was punk and its defining band, the Sex Pistols." Think The Strangs got a couple of unintentional mentions a few times when one of the other bands mentioned them and Savage obviously missed editing it out. Probly what they mean by "uncut" actually.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 21:39
Contrary to what JJ says, The Stranglers are mentioned several times in the Jon Savage book, almost all unfavourably. He actually acknowledges that The Stranglers and The Jam were two of the biggest sellers of the punk period, which is a truth that Savage can't avoid. However, some of his criticisms about the band are a bit ludicrous. Once he's got the "bullying misogynists" schtick out of the way, he goes onto claim that because The Stranglers sold more records they were somehow more musically conservative than the likes of The Pistols, which is nonsense.

Like, am I really supposed to fucking believe that "Peasant in the Big Shitty" is more "musically conservative" than "God Save the Queen"!? Because anyone who insists such a thing is objectively a retard.