Wyatting

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Wyatting

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

I thought I’d mentioned this on the forum before? I can’t even remember when I first heard this term used, it did make me laugh though and I thought I’ve been doing this ‘Wyatting’ on and off for a long time probably without realising it.

Me and my mate did some ‘Wyatting’ two weeks ago in our local Social Club and it didn’t go down too well which of course is the point.
More of that later.

So anyone else done a bit of Wyatting recently?
How did it go?
Upset the locals? Get lynched? Get beaten up, get barred?......etc?

Wyatting.
The practice of deliberately selecting annoying or extreme music on an mp3 jukebox to cause irritation to others has become known as Wyatting. This is a reference to prog/artrock musician Robert Wyatt and his 'Dondestan' album, typical of the kind of record a Wyatter would choose. It is generally agreed that the most effective music for Wyatting is that of US avant-garde quasi-operatic vocalist Diamanda Galas. Other common choices include the most well known exponents of free-jazz, improv/noise music and euro-prog-metal, though the latter is chosen because it is considered naff, uncool and embarassing, not because it has the effect normally required of music regarded as good for Wyatting.
Just strap on your ukulele and we'll play some rock 'n roll, and that

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Wyatting

Post by jason »

That sounds quite funny. It would be funny to put something like Waltzinblack on repeat all night in a pub wouldn't it!

parasiteinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Wyatting

Post by parasiteinblack »

There was a pub I went to in Norwich that constantly had Bon Jovi/Guns n Roses stuff on, they got a blast of Laurie Anderson's "O Superman". We had to leave before it had finished...

The bowling alley used to have a jukebox but they got rid of it a short time after I put "Chocolate Salty Balls" and the unedited "Peaches" on. Shame.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"