Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Depeche Mode

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 22:50 https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/band-john- ... -lifeless/

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Fair play to Mr Lydon for changing his view,I must admit that I'm not a big Depeche Mode fan but they have made some great music over the years.Major Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Their albums have got gradually weaker but there's still lots of good stuff overall.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I listened to Music for the Masses earlier. Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing my ears etc. They were incredible around that time. Listen to "Little 15" or "Pimpf" and compare it with "My Cosmos Is A Ghost Again" or whatever and it's depressing as fuck how far they've fallen creatively.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Really liking "My Cosmos Is Mine" now. The synth part that fades across is sublime. If the album is as deep sounding as this I'll probably like it in the same way I much prefer the later Talk Talk albums.
Let's Boogie
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 01:54 I listened to Music for the Masses earlier. Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing my ears etc. They were incredible around that time. Listen to "Little 15" or "Pimpf" and compare it with "My Cosmos Is A Ghost Again" or whatever and it's depressing as fuck how far they've fallen creatively.
Alan is massively missed as a Songwriter, Arranger and Producer....it's been obvious since he quit.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Alan didn't have anything to do with Ultra and that turned out really well, such a sonically rich production and full of depth. Tim Simenon definitely earned his paycheque on that one.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

FB_IMG_1678692530361.jpg
FB_IMG_1678692530361.jpg (48.05 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
Last edited by Cells&Plasma on 19 Mar 2023, 05:17, edited 2 times in total.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I've tried a bit of Recoil on Spotify by I couldn't get into it. Maybe it takes repeated listening?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I don't really care (and have never really cared) about what Alan Wilder thinks of Ultra. I do care how it sounds, though, and on that album (and the "Only When I Lose Myself" single) they managed to have a production team in the studio that more than managed to compensate for his absence.

The Recoil stuff is an acquired taste, and more for those that are trip-hop and '90s electronica (as I am) ... I'd say Unsound Methods and Liquid are fine albums, and Depeche Mode sure as hell could have used some of those dark soundscapes on their post-Ultra work. I like to think that Alan was responsible for Depeche Mode's work having such a filmic quality to it.

I was listening to Construction Time Again earlier (on vinyl!) and that album just keeps growing on me. So far ahead of A Broken Frame sonically it isn't even funny.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

whatever_dismissive.jpg
whatever_dismissive.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 00:08 I don't really care (and have never really cared) about what Alan Wilder thinks of Ultra. I do care how it sounds, though, and on that album (and the "Only When I Lose Myself" single) they managed to have a production team in the studio that more than managed to compensate for his absence.

The Recoil stuff is an acquired taste, and more for those that are trip-hop and '90s electronica (as I am) ... I'd say Unsound Methods and Liquid are fine albums, and Depeche Mode sure as hell could have used some of those dark soundscapes on their post-Ultra work. I like to think that Alan was responsible for Depeche Mode's work having such a filmic quality to it.

I was listening to Construction Time Again earlier (on vinyl!) and that album just keeps growing on me. So far ahead of A Broken Frame sonically it isn't even funny.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Never had one classic album.
Mainly a singles band
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)