"Jerry Lee Lewis" to play 3 British dates 2015

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

"Jerry Lee Lewis" to play 3 British dates 2015

Post by Greatkudu »

Ok now I am not sure there are any fans on here.But I am a huge fan and have been for years.There are just two artists that I would still like to see live,that I haven't seen.Jerry Lee Is one of them.The other being Chuck Berry.

Both these artists have somewhat checkered private lives in the past,but no one can deny their influence on music IMHO.So Jerry Lee Lewis is to play 3 British dates next year (proposed) that is.It says on his site,Britain TBC 2015,I really hope he does come to England,It would be great to finally see the legend live.He is 80 later in the year,but Is still performing.I really hope I get the chance to see him next year.
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Re: "Jerry Lee Lewis" to play 3 British dates 2015

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

I saw his sister singing with Van Morrison a good few years ago at The Lighthouse in Poole.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

I watched The Nutty Professor on TV the other week, it was quite good.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

MiB81 wrote:I watched The Nutty Professor on TV the other week, it was quite good.
Very good,great film the original one.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Hammersmith1982 wrote:I saw his sister singing with Van Morrison a good few years ago at The Lighthouse in Poole.
That's interesting.
clutchingmyteddybear
Rats Rally

Post by clutchingmyteddybear »

Saw both jerry lee and Chuck Berry a few years ago in Wolverhampton. Both on the same bill. Enjoyed the night but much of Chuck Berrys set was out of tune. He apparently employs a house band at venues and doesn't rehearse so the results can be very hit and miss. See the Keith Richards and chuck berry documentary on You tube to see how difficult he can be. A great documentary where they put on a gig, I think the Apollo in the states. Genius songs.
Jerry lee was marginally better but could hardly move, don't expect playing piano with his feet or anything. Worth a watch just to see such a legend
how did I get down here, well it's a long story
jaydee1964
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jaydee1964 »

Aaaaaarrrrggghhh lock up your daughters ......no honest

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

clutchingmyteddybear wrote:Saw both jerry lee and Chuck Berry a few years ago in Wolverhampton. Both on the same bill. Enjoyed the night but much of Chuck Berrys set was out of tune. He apparently employs a house band at venues and doesn't rehearse so the results can be very hit and miss. See the Keith Richards and chuck berry documentary on You tube to see how difficult he can be. A great documentary where they put on a gig, I think the Apollo in the states. Genius songs.
Jerry lee was marginally better but could hardly move, don't expect playing piano with his feet or anything. Worth a watch just to see such a legend
Yes I saw that doc about Chuck,as for Jerry Lee,he is 80 later this year.And I have seen footage from 2013,hes very frail these days,but his voice and playing are still good.

People tend to forget that without these pioneers,there would have been no Beatles,Stones etc. Chuck is 87? now and still plays at his own theatre but rarely travels abroad.

I would have loved to see them together.Both are huge talents and have a controversial past,Who cares? I for one don't.Both legends IMHO.
manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

Hammersmith1982 wrote:I saw his sister singing with Van Morrison a good few years ago at The Lighthouse in Poole.
her daughter stayed with me and mrs manticore for a night last year.she was playing at a local festival and we got in free for putting her and another up for the weekend.
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran
dennirusking
Down In The Sewer

Post by dennirusking »

My mum has a DVD of Johnny Cash's Christmas show. Johnny Cash used to do a show where he did not-as-funny-as-you'd_like comedy sketches with stars like Steve Martin and then sing songs with his friends and families. One show was made just after Elvis died and Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins all pay tribute by singing some old gospel songs together. I guess they were all aged about 45 then. It's nice seeing them all looking good and sounding great.
I love the film Hail Hail Rock & Roll where Keith Richard put's together a band for Chuck Berry and they do a one off concert. As John Lennon said "If you wanted to give Rock and Roll another name you could call it Chuck Berry Music."
I recon Jerry Lee Lewis could still put on a great show although I imagine it would be more country based than rock and roll but sadly I think Chuck Berry just isn't really together enough to do a whole concert. The You Tube footage of him in Russia a short time ago made my heart sink.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

dennirusking wrote:My mum has a DVD of Johnny Cash's Christmas show. Johnny Cash used to do a show where he did not-as-funny-as-you'd_like comedy sketches with stars like Steve Martin and then sing songs with his friends and families. One show was made just after Elvis died and Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins all pay tribute by singing some old gospel songs together. I guess they were all aged about 45 then. It's nice seeing them all looking good and sounding great.
I love the film Hail Hail Rock & Roll where Keith Richard put's together a band for Chuck Berry and they do a one off concert. As John Lennon said "If you wanted to give Rock and Roll another name you could call it Chuck Berry Music."
I recon Jerry Lee Lewis could still put on a great show although I imagine it would be more country based than rock and roll but sadly I think Chuck Berry just isn't really together enough to do a whole concert. The You Tube footage of him in Russia a short time ago made my heart sink.
Yes thank's for that.Poor old Chuck,It's like a boxer who has had one to many fights.Jerry Lee only does short sets these day's,but the footage I have seen,he still sounds good.Although a bit frail these days.A bit off the subject,The legendary Ramone's retired before they became a parody or a sad reflection of what they once were.