Best song on Ten

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Best song on Ten?

1 Sweet smell of success
7%
2 Someone like you
6%
3 96 Tears
7%
4 In this place
2%
5 Lets celebrate
2%
6 Man of the earth
6%
7 Too many teardrops
5%
8 Where i live
7%
9 Out of my mind
2%
10 Never to look back
53%

Total votes: 81

Fredib
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Best song on Ten

Post by Fredib »

One of the best albums IMO, in my top 5. "Sweet Smell" is THE song for me but the other 9 worth listening to...
Swirling keyboards, guitars, mix, everything's in its right place and sounds crystal clear. Far better from a production, lyrics and tunes point of view than "Norfolk Coast" for example. Cannot understand why this Norfolk album is so much plebiscited by the fans... Please be ecclectic.

toilerinblack
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by toilerinblack »

some of the best tracks never made the album....so for me its not like everyone else its not ntlb...too may teardrops....man of the earth...out of my mind are all better...just me i suppose ...

StanInBlack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by StanInBlack »

Someone Like You over the overrated Never to Look Back

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

StanInBlack wrote:
21 May 2020, 21:10
Someone Like You over the overrated Never to Look Back
Someone like you would have made a good single. Never to look back is my favourite track though and then Sweet Smell of Success.

Josh

Post by Josh »

Someone Like You is a good song, but Never to Look Back is head and shoulders above anything else on the album. It's interesting, given that he wasn't contributing much, that JJ arguably wrote the 2 best songs of that period, in Never to Look Back & Instead of This.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye

StanInBlack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by StanInBlack »

Josh wrote:
22 May 2020, 07:14
Someone Like You is a good song, but Never to Look Back is head and shoulders above anything else on the album. It's interesting, given that he wasn't contributing much, that JJ arguably wrote the 2 best songs of that period, in Never to Look Back & Instead of This.
I'd argue that during the 10 era, JJ was actually more prolific than he had been for years! Him and Hugh surely must have contributed roughly an albums worth of stuff or thereabouts each, thinking about it.

"Instead of This" is the best song of that era by miles for me, but looking at who contributed what, JJ's stuff ranged between awful ("Motorbike") and brilliant ("Instead of This") and Hugh's stuff was consistently decent (although I have no time at all for "Let's Celebrate" anymore), but neither of them were really firing on all cylinders. Normally if one songwriter is flagging, the other can step up to compensate, but I think that while a lot of the songs could have been saved by better performances and better production, both of 'em had gone off the boil a bit.

Hugh would get it back quickly on Wired with the likes of "First Bus to Babylon" etc., whereas it took JJ until Coup de Grace to get his mojo back with "In the End" etc.

strangledinAuch

Post by strangledinAuch »

Sweet smell of success
Do You Wanna?

Josh

Post by Josh »

StanInBlack wrote:
31 May 2020, 11:37
Josh wrote:
22 May 2020, 07:14
I'd argue that during the 10 era, JJ was actually more prolific than he had been for years! Him and Hugh surely must have contributed roughly an albums worth of stuff or thereabouts each, thinking about it.

"Instead of This" is the best song of that era by miles for me, but looking at who contributed what, JJ's stuff ranged between awful ("Motorbike") and brilliant ("Instead of This") and Hugh's stuff was consistently decent (although I have no time at all for "Let's Celebrate" anymore), but neither of them were really firing on all cylinders. Normally if one songwriter is flagging, the other can step up to compensate, but I think that while a lot of the songs could have been saved by better performances and better production, both of 'em had gone off the boil a bit.

Hugh would get it back quickly on Wired with the likes of "First Bus to Babylon" etc., whereas it took JJ until Coup de Grace to get his mojo back with "In the End" etc.
Yep, JJ did contribute a bit towards the end of the CBS era, but most of his songs ended up as B-sides. Hugh was of course writing the bulk of the songs that ended up on the albums themselves. I don't think that JJ, from about 1983 to 1997/98, had the patience to develop songs in the way that Hugh, and subsequently John & Paul did.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye

toilerinblack

Post by toilerinblack »

well its a jj song best everyone likes on 10...out of my mind stands out for me.

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

The good thing about 10 was that it had a heavier sound to it. Probably the heaviest album since La Folie.