Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

A Flock of Seagulls have gear nicked

Post by Five Minutes »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/ju ... bum-stolen

Mike Score, frontman of A Flock of Seagulls, has had music for his new album stolen by thieves. On the weekend of 20-21 July, crooks in California made off with several hard-drives of Score's newest recordings, plus $70,000 (£46,000) of "irreplaceable" costumes and gear.

"If those guys who stole our van are out there, give us our stuff back and let us go on and be a band," Score pleaded in a TV interview. Robbers drove away with the vehicle while the singer and his new Flock were staying at a $99 per night hotel in Downey, California, after playing a show on Saturday night.

"We think it was somebody who followed us from the club, knowing it was full of equipment," Score said. "[They took] our equipment, clothing, band gear, cellphones, everything [we] need when [we're] on the road – all [our] good stuff, all [our] good clothes." The valuables included hand-built Washburn guitars, customised Fender Aerodyne Telecaster guitars, drums, and an estimated $10,000 (£6,500) worth of "high-end stage clothes".

More crucially, Score lost his new record. Some 31 years after I Ran (So Far Away) became a new-wave classic, the formerly floppy-haired musician has been working on a solo album – his first LP in 18 years. Although some of the material is backed up at professional studios, much of the music was recorded on the road. "When we had days off, we could set up a little studio and continue working," he explained to the LA Daily News. "We were pretty close to the end … It's 18 months of work just basically thrown into the trash."

Police are already investigating the theft, which was captured on hotel security cameras. The surveillance footage shows a black SUV pull up in the Comfort Inn parking lot; a man gets out of the vehicle, breaks into Flock of Seagulls' van, and drives away. Another driver follows in the SUV. "I've been working here almost two years; I've never had any car being broken into or any car being stolen," the hotel's front office manager said. "It's very unexpected."

Score and his band have now left for the UK, where A Flock of Seagulls are due to play at Saturday's 80s Rewind festival, in Perth. They will be forced to use hired gear. "When [thieves] steal stuff like [this], they steal from people that pay to see the shows because the band is unable to play the songs as people want to hear them," Score said. "People who do this kind of thing will never have a real life; I think karma in the end will come around and take whatever they have got."

Born in Yorkshire, Score now lives in Florida.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
zontar
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: A Flock of Seagulls have gear nicked

Post by zontar »

Don't UK acts over here secure theft insurance? It's a jungle out there.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

I may be stating the obvious, but if the gear was that important I'd have had it in the room with me.
When I stay in a hotel on holiday, I don't leave any 'valuables' in my car.
Does the '$99' type of hotel have any bearing on the general 'ambience' of the area it was in?
If it does, then even more reason not to leave gear in the van.

A shitty thing to happen, but just saying.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

I can't believe anyone leaves a van full of equipment unattended.
I don't own a vehicle, I thought everyone had alarms etc these days?
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
vanian
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by vanian »

they ran , they ran so far away ............ :grin:

jokes aside i saw them last year - mike score still has the voice but is about 150lbs heavier - still ok though
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

I prefer Bowling For Soup's cover of 'I Ran'. But I'm probably sick. :)
ManInBrown
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

vanian wrote:they ran , they ran so far away ............ :grin:

jokes aside i saw them last year - mike score still has the voice but is about 150lbs heavier - still ok though
I bet he wishes he'd taken A photograph of his gear or had something to remind him....

I'll get me coat
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

ThruBeingCool wrote:
vanian wrote:they ran , they ran so far away ............ :grin:

I bet he wishes he'd taken A photograph of his gear or had something to remind him....

I'll get me coat
Ha! :lol:
ManInBrown
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

I see they are re-releasing their first album in a deluxe package for its 40th anniversary.

I know their image makes some people take them less than seriously , but there are some solid tunes on those first two albums.
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

Five Minutes wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 04:09 I see they are re-releasing their first album in a deluxe package for its 40th anniversary.

I know their image makes some people take them less than seriously , but there are some solid tunes on those first two albums.
That's interesting...thanks! I'm a massive fan of their first album.

Agree that their image distracted from some great songs.

If you ever doubted the stranglers influence check out Nightmares

https://youtu.be/UEU9ad2yr7c
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Funny I was about to post about these guys yesterday after watching Pulp Fiction (again). Was gonna ask if they were actually any good.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

RetroRocket wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 09:29
https://youtu.be/UEU9ad2yr7c
That's These Boots are Made for Walking on speed!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+