THATCHER DEAD

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Re: THATCHER DEAD

Post by jem750 »

kincajou wrote:I don't care that she's dead.

Whilst some of the personal vitriol on this board & elsewhere isn't what I would say, I can fully understand it. At the time, many said they'd be happy to dance on her grave when she died, she was a 'marmite' character. The news media are gushing in their praise with only a token interview with those who didn't like her.

For what it's worth, I agree with this Guardian article...

http://m.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2 ... -etiquette
Great article

This day was always going to be divisive
It has been very predictable, from the posting on FB of a tribute to Thatcher with a request to show respect which quickly descended to a 50/50 split between glowing tributes and those that thought she was a cunt and then the trading of insults between the two

Then the tributes from those that weren't even born then! I have bitten my tongue!

For what it's worth I'm not dancing on her grave but I'm not shedding any tears either

Oh and for those who say we should focus on a poor old woman with Alzheimer's! Fuck Off

Jez
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

From what I've read on Facebook today its been pretty much 50/50
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

jem750 wrote:

Whilst some of the personal vitriol on this board & elsewhere isn't what I would say, I can fully understand it. At the time, many said they'd be happy to dance on her grave when she died, she was a 'marmite' character. The news media are gushing in their praise with only a token interview with those who didn't like her.

Great article

It has been very predictable, from the posting on FB of a tribute to Thatcher with a request to show respect which quickly descended to a 50/50 split between glowing tributes and those that thought she was a cunt and then the trading of insults between the two

Then the tributes from those that weren't even born then! I have bitten my tongue!

For what it's worth I'm not dancing on her grave but I'm not shedding any tears either

Oh and for those who say we should focus on a poor old woman with Alzheimer's! Fuck Off

Jez
Fuck off yourself.
rotten thoughts
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

iain wrote:
jem750 wrote:

Great article

Jez
Fuck off yourself.
Thank you I will :grin:

Jez
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

To eulogise and get political mileage out ot it like the Tories did last week with 6 dead children.

Many of the sickening platitudes aimed at her on the BBC and Sky News are from the same Tory twunts who stabbed her in the back in 1990. I think most of the jubilation comes from the fact that we didn't get rid of her ourselves, but it was in fact her `own kind´.

The woman believed apartheid in South Africa was a just regime and labelled Mandela a terrorist yet one of her greatest allies was mass murderer and former Chilean dictator Agosto Pinochet. She destroyed British industry and the Unions, giving bosses and employers carte blanche to shaft workers. In fact much of the damage to the UK we see today was started under Thatcher whenever it and Reagan moved away from Keynesian economics in favour of the `libertarian´ideas promoted by Milton Friedman . Of course she was also a personal friend of Jimmy Savile.

It's reasonable to say she was a 'Marmite politician' - although to be fair - Marmite didn't ruin industries, support dictators or dine with paedos.

Tonight I have raised a glass to her - my glass was full of milk- it hadn't tasted better since 1979.
theraven1979 wrote:Ben Elton night on channel 4 this evening no doubt!

What I don't get is why Cameron is cutting short his visit to Europe in light of this news - what's he gonna do?

Jim
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
theraven1970
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by theraven1970 »

The news last night didn't half underline her divisive nature and the north/south divide. Where there is discord may we bring harmony, aye that'll be right.
Suffice to say North of Hadrian's Wall and in various de-industrialised areas of the north-east and north-west, the news was not greeted by a 50/50 split.
Greetings, fellow Stranglers fans.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"From Billy Bragg, Calgary, AB, Canada, on the death of Margaret Thatcher:

This is not a time for celebration. The death of Margaret Thatcher is nothing more than a salient reminder of how Britain got into the mess that we are in today. Of why ordinary working people are no longer able to earn enough from one job to support a family; of why there is a shortage of decent affordable housing; of why domestic growth is driven by credit, not by real incomes; of why tax-payers are forced to top up wages; of why a spiteful government seeks to penalise the poor for having an extra bedroom; of why Rupert Murdoch became so powerful; of why cynicism and greed became the hallmarks of our society.

Raising a glass to the death of an infirm old lady changes none of this. The only real antidote to cynicism is activism. Don't celebrate - organise!"

Obviously, not one of Thatcher's biggest fans but clearly he has a few more brain cells than some. Good points there.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Alexinblack wrote:From what I've read on Facebook today its been pretty much 50/50
Think it very much depends on the age group of the people that are your friends then.
Most on mines that are posting about it are rejoicing she's gone.

Sheand her government KILLED Mining/Manufacturing/Shipbuliding/Steel production and introduced the Poll Tax in Scotland.
And yet she couldn't work out why the Torys are a joke in Scotland?????
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

I'm not overly celebrating. She may be gone but her disciples carry her torch.

I was one, along with my wife, who suffered directly and financially because of her policies so I'm obviously going to be no great fan.

They say she was 'divisive'. That's just a polite way of saying 'splitter'. And she's still managing to split us even after she's dead.

The eulogising and attempts to virtually canonize her will go on for months.

It'll get as boring as going on about the Olympics.

People who really care should save their bile for Cameron or Clegg or Milliband or any number of the other self-serving twats.

It's still happening.
ManInBrown
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Blimey Stranglers fans, why all the arguing?

To some people, she was a great leader. To others, me included, she was a horrible c0unt with very few redeeming features or achievements. But she hasn't been in power for bloody years. And whilst I'm not exactly celebrating her death, those who are aren't doing it because she was a frail old lady with Alzheimers, they're doing it because of what she WAS.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

Duke in Black
Down In The Sewer

Post by Duke in Black »

If there was somewhere worse than Hell for her to rot in, I'd be fine with that.