Rat Scabies... on skin... occasionally?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Rat Scabies... on skin... occasionally?

Post by Burn e 77 »

Was just a thought... but it would be IMHO... good to see Rat on skins... only on the nights (or Festival appearances) when Jet is unable to play due to health...
I in no way want a replacement for the great and enigmatic Mr Black... when i and others (Forum Family Crew) heard the bad news about Jet at Oxford on the last tour... everyone on our table in the pub pre-gig fell silent in shock... Jet IS the Stranglers for me... my best wishes go out to him for a speedy and full recovery... so that he can sit back on his drum stall and play with his very distinctive style... full of subtle cymbal flourishes and great double kick drum... which was missed on the tour in his absence... Ian did his best (Played his heart out in Utrecht on Tank)... but he ain't no Mr Black... If Jet can't make some dates on the next tour (unfortunately) why not bring in Mr Scabies... I've always viewed the Damned as stable mates with the Stranglers... Rat seemed to as well... he always took time out for interviews in Strangled magazine back in the day... he's also very creative and talented on the skins... and would probably be the only person who could come even a little bit near Jets power and style on say... Sewer... it would also add gravitas to the band appearances to have a well known old personality/punk on drums.

I really hope Jet recovers soon... I personally couldn't take/listen to another drummer on any studio recordings... none can... or ever will... compare to his style... which I've come accustomed to over 35 years... and I'll probably now not go out on the next tour unless he appears... his replacements over the years have never captured that distinctive Jet style... the shows just seem flat to me without him... again best wishes for a full recovery Jet.

Burn e 77
Last edited by Burn e 77 on 21 Jun 2012, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Something better change!
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Rat Scabies... on skin... occasionally/

Post by elvisintheclouds »

I believe he did once stand in for Jet and if I remember correctly it didn't really work out (can't remember where I read it now though).
Thank you very much
EiTC
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Rat Scabies... on skin... occasionally/

Post by Burn e 77 »

elvisintheclouds wrote:I believe he did once stand in for Jet and if I remember correctly it didn't really work out (can't remember where I read it now though).
Back in the day there were some issues... but now, Rat has no problems... and is currently touring with Brian James (Damned)
cheers
Burn e 77
Something better change!
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Rat Scabies... on skin... occasionally?

Post by Josh »

I think he stood in for Jet at some point in the early 90s, but JJ wasn't impressed with his timekeeping skills. I can't imagine that was due to Rats abilities though, he is/was a fine drummer.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Derbyducks in Black
Rats Rally

Post by Derbyducks in Black »

Josh wrote:I think he stood in for Jet at some point in the early 90s, but JJ wasn't impressed with his timekeeping skills. I can't imagine that was due to Rats abilities though, he is/was a fine drummer.
At one point.. i think rat was rather dismissive of jet saying.. 'the only flare jet has is in his trousers!' or something similar.. no doubt this was at one of the many 'Damned' low points.. and was probably only jealousy..

Cheers
David
Anyone seen Sir Winkler...
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Josh wrote:he is/was a fine drummer.
Agreed, he's a pretty cool Grail hunter too! 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I dunno, sure why not have Rat stand in for Jet, though as others have said I'm sure he did on one occassion only and it didnt work. More generally I think the damned did some good records but they've never been anywhere near the stranglers league in any way to me, sorry folks.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think it works better with young blood really. Ian (although I've not witnessed him live) seems to be doing a great job.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

theraven1979 wrote:I think it works better with young blood really. Ian (although I've not witnessed him live) seems to be doing a great job.

Jim
Bet that remark re: "young blood" is gonna cheer up Jet no end :roll:
Burn e 77
Something better change!
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

I'll get slaughtered for this, but from a drumming point of view, I agree with Jim. Jets age has been a hindrance on his abilities, he's simplified a lot of his parts, and he plays a lot slower than he used to. Don't get me wrong, I love Jet, he is a massive influence on my drumming, and I've previously stated my admiration for his style - but Ian plays quicker, harder and tighter. On saying that, I'd always have Jet over Ian any day of the week.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dead ringer »

What about Robert Williams, Windsor McGilvray, Clem Burke or that other one, Chris somebody? That would go down well! :wink:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

As opposed to Rat Scabies? ! I thought we were talking about purely when Jet couldn't make it? JJ is not a fan of Scabies - mentioned many times before. Robert Williams could be interesting.

Jim
Burn e 77 wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:I think it works better with young blood really. Ian (although I've not witnessed him live) seems to be doing a great job.

Jim
Bet that remark re: "young blood" is gonna cheer up Jet no end :roll:
Burn e 77
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"