buzzcocks with howard devoto

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: buzzcocks with howard devoto

Post by ThruBeingCool »

It will be interesting to see if the hype exists. The Buzzcocks did the re-union thing years ago and have rarely been away from gigging since then. I wonder how much these original line ups really mean to people. Admittedly it will be interesting to see Devoto perform with them but as for Steve Garvey & John Maher, I doubt if anyone would be able to tell the difference these days between them and their replacements in the present line up.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Why only Manchester and London :?:

:roll:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

ThruBeingCool wrote:It will be interesting to see if the hype exists. The Buzzcocks did the re-union thing years ago and have rarely been away from gigging since then. I wonder how much these original line ups really mean to people. Admittedly it will be interesting to see Devoto perform with them but as for Steve Garvey & John Maher, I doubt if anyone would be able to tell the difference these days between them and their replacements in the present line up.
I think you have a point. I don´t think many would´ve of cared if it was just Howard Devoto joining the band for the Spiral Scratch section of the gig, even though Maher was in the band for quite a while. However from a nostalgists point of view, they can boast "I was there".
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

I'm booked for Brixton. :)

With regards to comments on 'reunions' I think it should be pointed out that, apart from the period of split due to 'bankruptcy' between '82 and '88', Steve Diggle and Pete Shelley have been performing as Buzzcocks since 1976. And I've never seen them do a bad gig no matter who they've had as a rhythm section.
ManInBrown
Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Old Angus »

Rockula wrote:I'm booked for Brixton. :)

With regards to comments on 'reunions' I think it should be pointed out that, apart from the period of split due to 'bankruptcy' between '82 and '88', Steve Diggle and Pete Shelley have been performing as Buzzcocks since 1976. And I've never seen them do a bad gig no matter who they've had as a rhythm section.
You should've seen them on the tour they did with Joy Division supporting, late '79 I think it was. They were fucking atrocious - songs falling apart mid-way, arguing with each other on stage. Anyone watching that debacle would have thought that Joy Division were the headlining act and the 'cocks were an amateur support band. :smile:
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Happy Birthday to Howard Devoto - 71 today!

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 15:14 Happy Birthday to Howard Devoto - 71 today!

Jim
Yes here here to that,a unique performer.Major kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

The first two Magazine albums are all-time favourite records for me, particularly Secondhand Daylight.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

StanInBlack wrote:The first two Magazine albums are all-time favourite records for me, particularly Secondhand Daylight.
The last one they did stands up for me also. Amazing a band can still sound good after 30 odd years apart

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

One of the most ground breaking bands from the Era and Mr Devoto remained true to his principals,I think he worked as an Archivist when Magazine finished,I never listened to the comeback album,was it any good? Major Kudu
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah he worked in a library in Manchester.

Yeah it's really good they got the classic sound down and everything. If you're a fan how come you never heard it?!

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 11:18 One of the most ground breaking bands from the Era and Mr Devoto remained true to his principals,I think he worked as an Archivist when Magazine finished,I never listened to the comeback album,was it any good? Major Kudu
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 11:28 Yeah he worked in a library in Manchester.

Yeah it's really good they got the classic sound down and everything. If you're a fan how come you never heard it?!

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 11:18 One of the most ground breaking bands from the Era and Mr Devoto remained true to his principals,I think he worked as an Archivist when Magazine finished,I never listened to the comeback album,was it any good? Major Kudu
I heard a few tracks at the time,but the bench mark was so high with the earlier albums,I decided not to buy at the time,but if it's still available I will get it.Major Kudu.