POLYPHONIC SIZE CONCERT REVIEW - NEXT ONE FEATURING JJ !!!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Détective Privé
The Man They Love To Hate

POLYPHONIC SIZE CONCERT REVIEW - NEXT ONE FEATURING JJ !!!

Post by Détective Privé »

Polyphonic Size gave a private gig in some tiny Brussels bar (La Cigogne) yesterday evening. This was a kind of warm up concert before the big one, Wednesday 05 April.
The band now features Roger-Marc Vandevoorde (vocals, keyboards, guitar), France Lhermitte (vocals) and Kloot Per W (bass and vocals), plus 2 lolitas, I mean Roger Marc's daughters, Alice (guitar) and Maandy (keyboards). They played only 1979-1983 material : Action Man, NBC gmbh, Girlscout, Le Rabatteur des Sectes, Winston & Julia, Mother's Little Helper, ... plus 2 more covers : Janie Jones (The Clash) and a fantastic version of Devo's Mongoloïd ! :shock: :!:

The sound, the mood, were close to the 1982 concerts, with ryhthm box, guitars and synthesizers, but in new, powerful, tight and smashing versions. It was a killer show :shock: :grin: Honest ! I mean, as a long time fan, I expected it could be a nice reunion, something like that, but they really gave a fan-tas-tic performance. I have listened to all Polyphonic Size live tapes around, from 1982 to 1991, and believe me, this was one of the best shows ever ! Roger-Marc, France and Kloot Per W (what a great bass player !) were in great shape, and Alice and Maandy really add some fresh blood to the band. They gave 3 encores, the audience couldn't let them stop !

OK guys (and girls), now here's the big news for the next show : JJ WILL BE THERE !!! :grin: :!: :shock: :!: And the guy will sing several songs with the band (try to find which ones...) :grin: :!: :!: :!: So if you're around Brussels next Wednesday, this is the place to go ! Cheers !

http://polyphonicsize.free.fr/pages/news2.html

More infos : next gig will be free, but be there early, 'cause the place might be packed pretty soon !
Venue : La Maison Du Peuple, 39 Parvis de St Gilles, 1060 Brussels. Metro : Parvis de St Gilles.
Time : 21h30 - 03h00. Opening act : Pierre Normal. DJs : Le Laboratoire, Jean-François Sanz & Gilles Le Guen.
Polyphonic Size should play around 23h00.
You're my incurable malady
I miss the pleasure of your company
womaninblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: POLYPHONIC SIZE CONCERT REVIEW - NEXT ONE FEATURING JJ !

Post by womaninblack »

Very very good news, thanks! I'll try to be there!
Is it a unique gig or another dates are planned somewhere else in Belgium?
Cheers from the south of our little country. :smt006
Annick
un jour parfait
Détective Privé

So far, there's no other gig planned, but who knows ? My opinion is that they sound so great there will be more.

I forgot to say that this event is part of the "Jeunes Gens Modernes" exhibition (New Wave and Post Punk culture in France -and Belgium-, 1978-1983, an Agnes B production). It will take place at the ESPACE ART 22, Rue Van Aa, 22 - 1050 Brussels, from 06/05 to 20/06/2010. And at the Agnes B shop, Bd de Waterloo, 27, 1000 Brussels, from 30/04 to 20/06/2010. It will also include some Polyphonic Size - and other belgian bands - original documents : records, photos, pictures, posters, etc...
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Very excellent !

"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Man this sounds good - Hope they play some more gigs

Jim

Détective Privé wrote:with ryhthm box, guitars and synthesizers, but in new, powerful, tight and smashing versions. It was a killer show :shock: :grin: Honest ! I mean, as a long time fan, I expected it could be a nice reunion, something like that, but they really gave a fan-tas-tic performance. I have listened to all Polyphonic Size live tapes around, from 1982 to 1991, and believe me, this was one of the best shows ever ! Roger-Marc, France and Kloot Per W (what a great bass player !) were in great shape, and Alice and Maandy really add some fresh blood to the band. They gave 3 encores, the audience couldn't let them stop !

OK guys (and girls), now here's the big news for the next show : JJ WILL BE THERE !!! :grin: :!: :shock: :!: And the guy will sing several songs with the band (try to find which ones...) :grin: :!: :!: :!: So if you're around Brussels next Wednesday, this is the place to go ! Cheers !

More infos : next gig will be free, but be there early, 'cause the place might be packed pretty soon !
Venue : La Maison Du Peuple, 39 Parvis de St Gilles, 1060 Brussels. Metro : Parvis de St Gilles.
Time : 21h30 - 03h00. Opening act : Pierre Normal. DJs : Le Laboratoire, Jean-François Sanz & Gilles Le Guen.
Polyphonic Size should play around 23h00.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Détective Privé

I forgot to say something. La Cigogne is a small bar in the center of Brussels (rue Antoine Dansaert, 78). They've got a jukebox in this place. Old one. I had a look at the records : several Stranglers (incuding Bear Cage !), 2 Polyphonic Size, and.... Freddie Laker / Ozymandias by JJ !!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I coudn't believe it. I mean, must be pretty hard to find a jukebox like that anywhere around. :grin:
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Good work Detective :!:

Would love to be at the gig.
"Fading Dutch Moon

Post by "Fading Dutch Moon »

Would love to be there; Brussels is easy to reach but......have to work :smt010 :smt010
Détective Privé

IMPORTANT NEWS :
POLYPHONIC SIZE 05 MAY CONCERT : NEW VENUE / NEW TIME !

NEW VENUE : CAFE MONK, RUE SAINTE CATHERINE, 42, 1000 BRUSSELS
Metro : Bourse
NEW TIME : 21H 00
SPECIAL GUEST : JJ BURNEL

Thanks !
Cheers,

P O L Y P H O N I C S I Z E
http://polyphonicsize.free.fr
Attachments
pscafemonk.jpg
pscafemonk.jpg (27.44 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

what is this dialect Northern or something?. Meh i would rather a JJ solo album.
Détective Privé

It was a great gig, despite some last minute big troubles (the band had to find a different venue 24 hours before the concert). :shock:
The Monk Café is quite a nice bar, located in the center of Brussels, with a large stage in the back. It was packed. Full up. Can't say how many people, Polyphonic Size fans, Stranglers fans (JJeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy), friends... The opening act was Pierre Normal, a bunch of young guys - and one girl - playing some kind of electro dark cold wave stuff, with a touch of techno.

OK, Polyphonic Size hit the stage at about 21h30. They were in great shape, just like last week. Alice and Mandy looked incredibly cool, and didn't seem nervous at all on stage, though they are quite young, only 20 and 17 years old. France Lhermitte was on top form, smiling, singing, screaming... Kloot Per W once again showed what a great bassist he is, full of beans (and you know how important a bass can be in a band, don't you ?). Roger-Marc looked great too. This guy really got something special on stage. He is Polyphonic Size soul.

There were 2 guests : DJ Dop Massacre, a great Brussels performer / singer (and quite a cool guy too). And JJ. JJ was here. He sang 3 tracks : Je T'ai Toujours Aimée, Winston & Julia and Nagasaki. It was a kinda performance for him, because he only rehearsed one time with the band during the afternoon (+ a couple of times with Roger-Marc on the telephone !). :grin: :grin: :grin:

Track list : NBC / Action Man / Mother's Little Helper / Girlscout / Je T'Ai Toujours Aimée (with JJ) / Winston & Julia (with JJ) / Mongoloïd / Le Rabatteur Des Sectes / King Of Hong Kong - Space Rejection - Toiler On The Sea. Encore 1 : Nagasaki (with JJ) / Janie Jones. Encore 2 : Mongoloïd (with DJ Dop Massacre) / Action Man.

Yes guys, they played Toiler On The Sea as well. Actually, just the end of the song (I was a toiler on the sea on the sea on the sea...) during a smashing medley, with Roger-Marc improvising lyrics.

A great night. It was supposed to be just a one time band reunion, but they sound so great I'm quite sure there gonna be more gigs coming. The concert was filmed, so a DVD should be available in the near future. Cheers !

http://www.polyphonicsize.com
Barracuda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Barracuda »

saw them at the marquee supporting the purple helmets and they were great many moons ago , hope they come to the uk :grin: