Get The Stranglers Back in the Charts.....

Announcements by moderators will be posted here.
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Get The Stranglers Back in the Charts.....

Post by APOLLO79 »

ThruBeingCool wrote:
bongo wrote: If i was hugh i would be shouting it from the rooftops !!!. New album, new single, another new album later on ,all the press and hype that goes with it, back catalogue sales !.
The man cant loose !
Good point! Maybe the RETRO ROCKETS campaign ought to be promoted on 'The Torture Garden' as well. C'mon Hugh! Do your bit! 8)
Aye right.
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

Edit postReport this postReply with quoteRe: Get The Stranglers Back in the Charts.....
by Manc In Black » 16 Jan 2010, 21:03

add £1 to the price of the download & then state that the £1 goes to the Haiti disaster
watch it go

bring forward the release date
Simon Cowell is at it again - this time to hijack the idea of raising money for Haiti
Think the Stranglers could do a better job & get the guys back in the charts
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Post by suchi »

Manc In Black wrote:
Number one singles on downloads alone
Artist Song Date Sales
..............Gnarls Barkley "Crazy" 2 April 2006 31,703
Mika "Grace Kelly" 21 January 2007 30,500
Rihanna Feat. Jay Z "Umbrella" 20 May 2007 34,164
Sugababes "About You Now" 30 September 2007 34,068
Duffy "Mercy" 17 February 2008 38,366
Lady GaGa "Poker Face" (third week) 5 April 2009 55,318
Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" 17 May 2009 74,440
etc etc .............................................
IF we were able to manipulate and influence the download of this tune wouldn’t we be guilty of trying to reproduce the kind of disdain we reserve for many of the artistes listed above but are(annoyingly) able to generate those amounts of downloads. I would've thought that in the main we would be subscribing to the notion that the majority of those numbers would be made up of people with no taste in music.

IF The Stranglers were capable of writing something as popular as say what Lady Ga Ga does, then they could make them selves a lot of quick money and we wouldn’t need to carry out this factitious campaign.

I don’t really understand what all this is about. There's no salvation going on here. The Stranglers are great. What more is there to prove? I’d rather be blown away buy a set of killer tracks on a new Stranglers album than be palmed off with yet another “best of ” peppered with a couple of also-rans.

It ain’t for me, but that’s just me innit, a lone, dim and distant token, photon down the end of a fibre optic.
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.
The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Nosferatu »

Bit of realism from suchi. I think about the only person with his head screwed on about this particular issue.
Cnut ? I think you're mistaken, it's CUNT.
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

I think it boils down to how proud you are of your associations with the MiBs & their output over the years
Frankly if you stayed around this long then you must be a bit biased, especially if you spend any time on this forum

For me, this is just about supporting my team
Just think how great the guys would feel to be in the charts again, let alone a good spot at that.
I think they deserve it.

When you talk to people about the band in general, there is a very high level of appreciation of the output.
As a minimum its about the hits
Live performances also crop up loads

I think the Stranglers deserve respect for their output
Its too long overdue to receive recognition

If I can do a bit in getting them there & reminding any interested parties about the Stranglers, then it's worth it
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Exactly - it's about supporting your team and the decades of hits and just great music and times and at less than a quid it's a bit of a no brainer - can't believe some people have a problem with this but each to their own

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Nosferatu »

Right, ok, we'll have to agree to disagree, ive got better things to do, im going out in 10 minutes......

To the shop to get some kezzy superstrength, ill be back before half 8, see you.
Cnut ? I think you're mistaken, it's CUNT.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

theraven1979 wrote:Exactly - it's about supporting your team and the decades of hits and just great music and times and at less than a quid it's a bit of a no brainer - can't believe some people have a problem with this but each to their own

Jim
Fucking hell, you've hardly had a good thing to say about The Stranglers recently. I find this all a little hard to swallow from you. You even wanted to ban any talk of the post-Hugh line-ups on this forum only a few years ago. Now, all of a sudden you want to be seen as the man who started the campaign to get them back into the charts!

Bullshit!

As for 'Retro Rockets'...just to re-iterate my point of view. Ain't got a problem with it musically, does sound like an out-take from 'Suite XVI' - it's the subject of the song that bugs me. Oh! the irony of it all...

As for the getting 'em back in the charts thing; Personally, most of the bands/songs (inc The Stranglers mostly) I have listened to over the years and still enjoy to this day have never really entertained the charts - they aren't for mass consumption - thank fuck. I've never looked to the charts for ideas of what to buy and never really cared about them therefore. Likewise, when I buy a record/cd/download etc ..I have never done this with a view to getting the band in the charts.

This is why it's all bollocks! in my humble!
We're not mainstream, we're alternative :!:

What d'ya want?The Stranglers on Radio 1 :?: If so,WHY :?:

Of course that concept is above the likes of me...... :smt012
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Furthermore!

If anyone tries to suggest that I am less of a Stranglers fan by not joining FACETWUNTINGFUCKETYFUCKBOOK....well,they can fuck right off :!:

Rant paused. :wink:
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Here she comes................. :smile:
miserablewoman
Ugly
Ugly

Post by miserablewoman »

ThruBeingCool wrote:Rant paused. :wink:
But you're obviously keen for an argument tonight eh?

Have fun!

:lol: :lol:
YOU WERE FOREVER ... I WAS JUST A PAUSE ...
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Spooner I think it's fair to say that we've all had our doubts about the Stranglers in recent times - I don't think Retro Rockets is the best thing they've done to be honest but lets support the band and get them their 5th Decade of hits - Why would I bullshit about this - We did it before with BTC - you seem to have a very selective memory of things - you try and bring out all the negatives

The charts don't mean shit total waste of time - However, there was a time when they meant a lot you had to sell millions and to get them back in there again is achievable and it would be a buzz to get them in their and clock up another decade - the only bullshit I smell is yours mate. If this is a success you'll be the first one to change you tune.

Now, get behind that band that you love so much!

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"