Das Boot

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Das Boot

Post by PaulinLondon »

Tonight on BBC2 at 11.40pm, finishing at 3am.

Can't wait to watch this in its entirety.......

A German U-boat tries to undermine the British war effort in this intense drama. A wartime U-boat crew hunting allied shipping in the north Atlantic, based on a submariner's autobiography, is sweatily authentic and at times almost unbearably tense. The camera roves through the confined spaces of the war machine, but the focus is firmly on the grizzled , gaunt fighting men themselves, led by the haunted-looking commander, Jurgen Prochnow......

"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Organ Grinder
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Das Boot

Post by Organ Grinder »

Good call Paul - will set the Sky Digital for that, in the hope that when I sit down to watch it with a bag of dods that the bastard thing actually plays what it was supposed to record for a change - that'll be a pleasant change.
If Dave was to use a Hammond L100 for just one more gig I'd die content.
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

Too right Paul!!
Im staying up for this...
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!
Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Blackbeered »

Thanks for pointing that out Paul - just set it to record. Great film 8)

Actually I would have missed it because telly is so crap these days I can't be bothered to go through the TV guide anymore. :roll:
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........
"Fading Dutch Moon

Post by "Fading Dutch Moon »

Great film! Don't know if I'll gonna see the whole of it again; working tomorrow :(
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Thanks Gents.

Just been doing a bit of Google research on U-boats and stumbled across this picture which is supposed to be from the end of World War 1, not World War 2, yet the boat in question seems huge.

U118 surrendered in February 1918 after sinking just two ships.
It was due to be transferred to France but the tow parted and she went aground off Hastings on April 15, 1919, despite attempts by a French destroyer to break her up with gunfire. Thousands of people flocked to the seafront near the Queens Hotel to catch a glimpse of the boat and the town clerk quickly started charging people a small fee to be allowed on board. The proceeds went towards the Mayor’s Fund for the welcome home of the troops which was planned for later that year.
Eventually though, as residents grew sick of children pelting the boat with rocks and making a racket throughout the night, the order was given to break her up.

:?
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Is it not about DMs??
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
"Fading Dutch Moon

MULLY wrote:Is it not about DMs??
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

PaulinLondon wrote:Thanks Gents.

Just been doing a bit of Google research on U-boats and stumbled across this picture which is supposed to be from the end of World War 1, not World War 2, yet the boat in question seems huge.

U118 surrendered in February 1918 after sinking just two ships.
It was due to be transferred to France but the tow parted and she went aground off Hastings on April 15, 1919, despite attempts by a French destroyer to break her up with gunfire. Thousands of people flocked to the seafront near the Queens Hotel to catch a glimpse of the boat and the town clerk quickly started charging people a small fee to be allowed on board. The proceeds went towards the Mayor’s Fund for the welcome home of the troops which was planned for later that year.
Eventually though, as residents grew sick of children pelting the boat with rocks and making a racket throughout the night, the order was given to break her up.

:?
Fantastic picture! So good in fact, that I have set it as my new desk top background.
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

Since seeing PIL's post and photo I have become fascinated by this event and found some more piccies of it that show the beast in context and its final sad demise:

Imagine drawing your curtains one morning and seeing that parked outside yer hotel window!
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

For the year in question, the German vessel seems huge. The pictures are fascinating and remind me of that huge boat in the film, "The Extraordinary League of Gentlemen".

I sat up to watch Das Boot on telly but it never came on and I fell asleep. We hired the DVD yesterday and watched half of it. Going to do the rest this evening. It really is bloody good and very tense.

Nice research work there Lord Luny.
"Fading Dutch Moon

It actually did come on and I watched it for about an hour before beeing too tired to watch any further (remember, it's 1 hr later here); never mind, as the 4th or 5th time I saw it. Still a great film!