Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Arthur Streeb-Greebling aka Mr Peter Cook & The Strangle

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPUiiUfV ... h=revolver

Does anyone know if the lads ever met Peter Cook?
I would have loved to have heard a conversation between him and Hugh.
I remember seeing that clip on 'Revolver' when I was a kid and was thinking who is this man and why doesn't he like the Stranglers?
:lol:
Shush this is serious
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Arthur Streeb-Greebling aka Mr Peter Cook & The Stra

Post by PaulinLondon »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPUiiUfV ... h=revolver

Does anyone know if the lads ever met Peter Cook?
I would have loved to have heard a conversation between him and Hugh.
I remember seeing that clip on 'Revolver' when I was a kid and was thinking who is this man and why doesn't he like the Stranglers?
I don't know Arthur but I recollect he was quoted circa 1980 on radio as highlighting The Strangs as one of THE bands. Pete C was the subject of discussion between beer rounds one night in The Tottenham pub during the Dominion gigs residence.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I remember reading somewhere that he quite liked the punk stuff. I need to read his bloody books again.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

theraven1979 wrote:I remember reading somewhere that he quite liked the punk stuff. I need to read his bloody books again.

Jim
If he was still alive, he would be a subscriber to the Forum; SquatterinBlack or TopRankBallroominBlack.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana »

I think Peter Cook was very comfortable with any music/musician that was in any way subversive (from his friendship with John Lennon onwards). The original Derek and Clive tapes were required listening on each and every tour bus (well OK apart from Cliff's) in the mid to late 70's and of this Pete and Dud were well aware. And he did Revolver.

I had the opportunity to meet him once back in about 1990. I was working near Fulham High Road and as I was wandering one lunch time I walked past the Nat West bank and passed a copper who was guarding a rather large sum of money in a suitcase near to the ATM. Funny I thought. Glancing over the road, I saw a young Harry Enfield in conversation with the great Cook who was directing him in a Nat West young savers ad (anyone recall them). I would have (and with hindsight should have approached him) but then again I was and am such a big fan that doubts as to my reception got the better of me.

On the subject of Pete and Dud. Last week for my birthday I went to a matinee performance of Pete abd Dud Come Again at the Venue Theatre off Leicester Sq. I would highly recommend it to anyone. It's a fine play, in a beautiful little theatre and best od all they serve pints of Gin and Tonic which you can take in with you (Peter would approve).

www.petedud.com
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

adriana wrote:
On the subject of Pete and Dud. Last week for my birthday I went to a matinee performance of Pete abd Dud Come Again at the Venue Theatre off Leicester Sq. I would highly recommend it to anyone. It's a fine play, in a beautiful little theatre and best od all they serve pints of Gin and Tonic which you can take in with you (Peter would approve).

www.petedud.com
Adrian,

Kevin Bishop's brother works with me. His name is Michael. We are REALLY trying to get Kevin out for a post show curry one evening. Interested ?

Paul
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Didn't Peter take over from another great man- Peter Sellers in an advert?
Was that the Nat West ad?

Great story btw, I would have gone too chat to him deffo, would loved to have met the great man.
Shush this is serious

Post by Guest »

I can honestly say that I never found Peter Cook or Dudley Moore funny at all - Give me Bottom and Marti Feldman anyday or Morecambe and Wise.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I got into the Derek & Clive stuff first. If it wasn`t for that I probably woulda missed the Pete & Dud stuff to be honest. Start with Derek & Clive is along the same lines at Bottom to be honest. Rik Mayall probably took a lot of that comedy from Cook

Jim

Theresurearealotofthem... wrote:I can honestly say that I never found Peter Cook or Dudley Moore funny at all - Give me Bottom and Marti Feldman anyday or Morecambe and Wise.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Any of you guys like Alan Bennett?
I have some of the 'Beyond The Fringe' stuff with Peter Cook and the rest of the gang and I have just bought two Audio Books of his called 'Untold Stories- The Diaries & The Stories'
I love Alan's sense of humour, he has that wonderful dry wit and is a fellow Yorkshireman, which is nice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 16-6184741
Shush this is serious
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Trying to get through his biog at the mo! Bloody hardback!

Jim

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:Any of you guys like Alan Bennett?
I have some of the 'Beyond The Fringe' stuff with Peter Cook and the rest of the gang and I have just bought two Audio Books of his called 'Untold Stories- The Diaries & The Stories'
I love Alan's sense of humour, he has that wonderful dry wit and is a fellow Yorkshireman, which is nice.

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Well I eventually got around to buying a Cook Biography (the one by Harry Thompson)
It's a good read so far. Is there any others on Cooky worth a look at?
Cheers.
Shush this is serious