Live album

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Live album

Post by cassini »

arent pauls vocals still in the background on one of the suite 16 songs - shes slipping away i think
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Nope. Everything he sung was left out of the final mix. All except his percussion on Anything can Happen.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 23 Jun 2024, 00:51
jason wrote: 22 Jun 2024, 21:21 I'm very hopeful of another album with Toby's input on it.
Really?...you think so I applaud your optimisim for another one in the future...but realistically look on an average just how many years it takes them to write,complete and release a new albums worth of material....not unless they have a lot more than we know about in their locker and I do hope so that would be great if they did.
I think they might at some stage release some new songs in some format a single or EP not so confident in a full album though ever materialising before they disband for good.
There's a question if JJ ever did leave and they carried on under the name would they release a new album and more importantly then how many fans would purchase a copy?.....intresting thought...I tnink many tbh.
Toby would add a newness to any new recording for sure and a new bass players style would certainly clearly sound different too because nobody plays the distinctive bass the way JJ does ....newness is healthy for any long term surrving band or unit ask Hugh whose lasted this long and so well because he does just that again and again but then again he has the talent and ability to and many can't.
Valery
Rats Rally

Post by Valery »

evonx wrote: 24 Jun 2024, 16:05 Nope. Everything he sung was left out of the final mix. All except his percussion on Anything can Happen.
I also recall reading that he had backing vocals somewhere on the album but I cannot say I have ever noticed where...
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Nope. Everything he sung was left out of the final mix. All except his percussion on Anything can Happen.
I also recall reading that he had backing vocals somewhere on the album but I cannot say I have ever noticed where...
I see. Possible of course but according to the credits on the original 2006 cd it's only this percussion and a couple of co-writes (Unbroken and She's Slipping Away)
--eric--
and there i came
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

It would be great if the version was put on You Tube or somewhere one day.
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

It would be cool if they released some of the recorded concerts from the past. Like the BBC in concert thing or something.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

For me I'm all good for any good live album from this bands past........except
The early Mk11 days doing the Mk1 songs.....sorry just alwful no matter how good the sound production was to own on CD the songs for me couldn't sound any further away from how they were written,sung and played like for me and I do get by those who did see them live that their gigs was excellent full of energy,atmosphere and vibe but the songs......sorry I wouldn't for me only want to purchase and own any Mk11 live material and the more Mk1 songs that were in there the more I wouldn't want a copy and that's why I don't like the first royal Albert Hall CD released where the Mk1 songs performed were not good for me at all especially with the likes of Skin Deep.
The least said about Mk11 live albums the better in just my nice as as I can be opinion on this bands Live albums overall.....where most are or have been very good over the decades witn the MK1 releases having been excellent and by far the best no question there for me we all differ but for me only anything post that period will never match their official releases.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

The least said about Mk11 live albums the better in
You should give Access All Areas a spin - was listening to that one recently and I love it - also lots of bootlegs from the early 90s show a band on fire. Especially compared to the performances 1985-1990.
--eric--
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 28 Jun 2024, 08:11
You should give Access All Areas a spin - was listening to that one recently and I love it - also lots of bootlegs from the early 90s show a band on fire. Especially compared to the performances 1985-1990.
Again it's not a knock I hate knocking musicians and I wouldn't to any of them it's solely how they were being played that went against anything successfully set in stone from their previous songwriters in Mk1 and I'm a bit surprised that three of the originals were still there and happy with how they now sounded like live,maybe that was just it they wanted to get away from how they sounded with Hugh after he left them but I am surprised how they liked hkw they were now sounding and for me it toke along time for them to go full circle and get back to how this band once sounded like again after years of being in the Wilderness and foe maybe only losing their way and identity, which is why I'm so behind Baz because it was him that had returned them back to the original fans again...well to the best your gonna get anyway for me.
As a unit away from their mk1 live versions they were doing live i liked a lot ot their own songs and i've always been in Paul's corner for being the excellent singer he was and still is but in the Stranglers it just wasn't right for me,but saying that I like a few Mk1 songs Paul did around the 2005 days acoustically with a very nice version of Strange little girl,so I'm not totally anti Mk11 far from it it was just how his Hugh sung songs along with John's wrong guitaring style,over technical and to heavy lead and rythmn playing that was never like that in the original song in the first place and to much wrong improvisation work and speed when it was performed live and I can't ever change how I hear them and feel about those past lives versions and that won't change......but all great musicians though of their craft for sure and I fully respect their own material away from live Mk1 songs performed.
But away from all that John did some lovely guitar work on many of the WIR tracks and some of ITN too that was really nice along with Paul too.... I still say WIR is such an underestimated album for me only and in the minority there on that album but thanks for the suggestion though.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 28 Jun 2024, 23:04, edited 9 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Jun 2024, 19:28
Again thanks but for me only it wasn't at all right from the to heavy live electric Mk1 versions they were doing in MK11 with john tbh in my opinion that were ruined.
Again I fully respect those who stayed with the band in those early days went and really enjoyed the electric energy they had I get that and most really enjoyed those gigs but for me only all of that side means nothing if the songs wern't right and to an extent ruined for me....again only my Mk1 heads opinion.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Yep, agreed.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye