Live album

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Live album

Post by toilerinblack »

jason wrote: 17 Jun 2024, 19:57 I like the live albums. It's always nice to get a great version of an old favourite. For example the last Tokyo live album had great live versions of The Raven, Toiler and I've been Wild. The one track that doesn't seem to be on a live album is Thrown away. I'd really like a decent version of that on a live album one day.
Yeah me too I've always been a live album fan EPSEICALLY MK1 some of the tracks on All LIVE like Toiler which are phenomenal .....so yeah I'm all thumbs up for a good live album too where you have the quality and production to the live songs you wouldn't otherwise have to play anywhere....and for me no better than it belting out from the car driving along.....superb makes any journey better and bareable especially when stuck in traffic......lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 17 Jun 2024, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 17 Jun 2024, 19:28
toilerinblack wrote: 17 Jun 2024, 16:10 I'm still working on my 50th tribute poem for the band....."Turn Half Centuries Turn"
(50 years of black and the badge of honour)
I will release it when finished it hasn't been easy.....but back on track so glad the 50th live album will also be on CD.
Sir as the Forums Poet Laureate we await your latest master piece with bated breath,no pressure.🙂
My problem has been it keeps getting bigger because i keep thinking of new things to say so I need to draw the line and chop loads off and in the bin .....lol
I find the mk1 years no problem it's all the post years and members to be included where it's then not to long where people will get board where they will stop reading it all together lol
So it needs trimming down where all imembers are included that I'm happy with..so far it's to much on mk1.
Probably post it on their official 50th birthday in September.....defo my last that's why I want it to be my best.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 17 Jun 2024, 21:18, edited 3 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 17 Jun 2024, 21:10
toilerinblack wrote: 17 Jun 2024, 16:10 I'm still working on my 50th tribute poem for the band....."Turn Half Centuries Turn"
(50 years of black and the badge of honour)
I will release it when finished it hasn't been easy.....but back on track so glad the 50th live album will also be on CD.
Sir as the Forums Poet Laureate we await your latest master piece with bated breath,no pressure.🙂
My problem has been it keeps getting bigger because j keep thi king of new things to say so I need to draw the line and chop loads off and in the bin .....lol
I find the mk1 no problem it's all part those days with the other members included that it's not to long where people get board where they will stop reading it all together lol
So it needs trimming down where all imembers are included that I'm happy with..sofar it's to much on mk1.
Probably post it on their official 50th birthday in September.....defo my last that's why I want it to be my best.
Sir I understand take your time,we look forward to reading it.Major Swift Sheeran.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 17 Jun 2024, 21:14

My problem has been it keeps getting bigger because j keep thi king of new things to say so I need to draw the line and chop loads off and in the bin .....lol
I find the mk1 no problem it's all part those days with the other members included that it's not to long where people get board where they will stop reading it all together lol
So it needs trimming down where all imembers are included that I'm happy with..sofar it's to much on mk1.
Sir I understand take your time,we look forward to reading it.Major Swift Sheeran.
Yes....hope your feeling better nowday's.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 17 Jun 2024, 21:31
Greatkudu wrote: 17 Jun 2024, 21:14
Yes....hope your feeling better nowday's.
Sir I'm improving thanks.Major Swift.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Not sure about another Stranglers live album but I'm quite looking forward to Hugh's one towards the end of the year. I think it makes sense when the artist's setlist has changed since the last live album was released. Who needs 35 live versions of Golden Brown or Walk On By? No thanks

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Not a popular thing to be said around here but ill say it, lets be honest its not the Stranglers singing live either really is it. Its 3 session musicians with one of the session musician singing the songs and a bass player that is the only original member of the band. JJ & Friends.

Baz , Toby and Jim if they were not the replacements in the band it would be just another three members and if not those members then just another different three members again, and so on, nothing special about any of them just replacements that happened to be in the right place at the right time. It really could be anyone in the band that was conveniently available.
A tribute band that sounds and looks like a tribute band doing Stranglers covers but sounds nothing like the real Stranglers once were.
I cant think of anything worse than listening to a live album where Baz's vocals are murdering all those fantastic songs on lead and the backing vocals that Hugh once sang and wrote.

Hearing Hugh sing live however is the Authentic Hugh Cornwell who plays the songs of The Stranglers that he once was apart of, and who wrote and played an important part of all those songs that he plays. Hugh doesnt have to pretend to be something he isn't he can just be himself and it works so well whether its he's own solo songs as well as the Stranglers songs.
I will add however in the past the bass player that used to sing Something better change for Hugh was just as cringing and horrible as the band and was truly awful Hugh should never have done that one, Knowing Hugh though i bet he did it on purpose as a way of saying touche lol.

Yes i cant wait to hear Hugh in concert and feels extra special that its a double album as well . I will be purchasing that and counting down the days.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

ThinkTank wrote:Not a popular thing to be said around here but ill say it, lets be honest its not the Stranglers singing live either really is it. Its 3 session musicians with one of the session musician singing the songs and a bass player that is the only original member of the band. JJ & Friends.

Baz , Toby and Jim if they were not the replacements in the band it would be just another three members and if not those members then just another different three members again, and so on, nothing special about any of them just replacements that happened to be in the right place at the right time. It really could be anyone in the band that was conveniently available.
A tribute band that sounds and looks like a tribute band doing Stranglers covers but sounds nothing like the real Stranglers once were.
I cant think of anything worse than listening to a live album where Baz's vocals are murdering all those fantastic songs on lead and the backing vocals that Hugh once sang and wrote.

Hearing Hugh sing live however is the Authentic Hugh Cornwell who plays the songs of The Stranglers that he once was apart of, and who wrote and played an important part of all those songs that he plays. Hugh doesnt have to pretend to be something he isn't he can just be himself and it works so well whether its he's own solo songs as well as the Stranglers songs.
I will add however in the past the bass player that used to sing Something better change for Hugh was just as cringing and horrible as the band and was truly awful Hugh should never have done that one, Knowing Hugh though i bet he did it on purpose as a way of saying touche lol.

Yes i cant wait to hear Hugh in concert and feels extra special that its a double album as well . I will be purchasing that and counting down the days.
I don't usually agree with this sentiment, but where a live album is concerned I think there is a valid point here.

I mean, I still enjoy seeing the current Stranglers band live but really if I wanna listen to a live Stranglers album at home then why wouldn't I just play Live X Cert or All Live (or whatever) instead?

So a new live album holds no interest for me at all I'm afraid...

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

aldinblack wrote: 18 Jun 2024, 15:41
ThinkTank wrote:Not a popular thing to be said around here but ill say it, lets be honest its not the Stranglers singing live either really is it. Its 3 session musicians with one of the session musician singing the songs and a bass player that is the only original member of the band. JJ & Friends.

I don't usually agree with this sentiment, but where a live album is concerned I think there is a valid point here.

I mean, I still enjoy seeing the current Stranglers band live but really if I wanna listen to a live Stranglers album at home then why wouldn't I just play Live X Cert or All Live (or whatever) instead?

So a new live album holds no interest for me at all I'm afraid...

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
Listening to comments on this site i get it its a night out, a few beers , meet friends and listening to some of your fav songs played live with a chance to see JJ play bass blah blah blah all good fun for fans. Not for me though but i still understand why fans do it. Then you got that side of things where the songs that always get played are then just added to another live album i get that too its too repetitive so no fun in that either just hearing the same GB again, along with other songs added because it sells albums.

But let me ask you a question (no right or wrong answer) would you be more interested in a Live Album if it was completely non Hugh songs and favourites that you haven't heard before? It would never happen because it would never sell apart from a few fanatics from this site. But would a live album like that be more to your liking?

Yeah i cant agree more when you hear all those live albums that feature Hugh in the band from Xcert and BBC recordings even the Alexander Palace one why would you even want to hear anything else.

As you can tell with me i am bias as well as i really cant stand Baz's vocals he sounds so cringing and awful and the fact that he loves himself as well really doesnt help when he has nothing IMO to be proud of , of his own making. Obviously it doesnt help when Hugh was so good as well.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 18 Jun 2024, 17:01

But let me ask you a question (no right or wrong answer) would you be more interested in a Live Album if it was completely non Hugh songs and favourites that you haven't heard before? It would never happen because it would never sell apart from a few fanatics from this site. But would a live album like that be more to your liking?
Yes please, sounds like a great album.
I've ordered the new one but a significant part of the appeal is to have a nice hi-fi version of Ships and Hallow live.
As Jim suggests, I've got plenty of versions of Golden Brown and Walk On By and I personally don't need any more...

All Live and 5 Live 01 are my go-to Stranglers live albums and I doubt anything else will beat them.
Hammersmith and X Cert are not too far behind.
Coast to Coast is good selection of songs but doesn't quite have the punchy sound I like.
Friday the Thirteenth is good when I'm in the mood for something different.
The best of the Baz era ones are Tokyo and the Brugges acoustic one, but I very much prefer the JJ songs to the Baz ones.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I think I've endured Friday 13 about twice,maybe thrice.The most cringe live Stranglers release, out there.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Ruby wrote: 18 Jun 2024, 20:20 I think I've endured Friday 13 about twice,maybe thrice.The most cringe live Stranglers release, out there.
There's lots on there that really doesn't work with the strings but the versions of Face, Valley, Let Me Down Easy and Daddy's Riding the Range are pretty good in my opinion. Sewer's pretty decent too.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"