RAH

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: RAH

Post by ThinkTank »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 14:03
StanInBlack wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 13:26 They should get a group of people assembling some sort of Ikea cabinet as an opening act next. It'd sound the same. I suppose the main feature would be worried about being blown offstage, though.
pmsl now that was really funny lets hope you haven't given them ideas even though i would love to see that myself.

To be fair the band have always had weird and unusual support acts i remember them using ventriloquists and mime acts and one really weird one that i cant quite recall but i bet other people that have seen the band with Hugh will remember better than my poor memory will anyway. Not to mention the strippers of course.

People these days like to have a "thing" attached to gigs or a release of an album but the old school way of just loving the band for the band themselves seem to be a dying appreciation. I have never cared about orchestras, violins , brass sections i have always been there just for the band but i think the band either get bored themselves or feel they need to add something or a "thing" to make it more interesting when its never been needed for me.

Regarding Baz's repetitive humour you cant really blame him telling the same jokes repeatedly over and over again when the fans repeatedly cheer and laugh at the repetitive banter over and over again. He's in the entertainment business so he wont stop a winning game and the band are experts remember at stretching things out to the very painful end.
lol I just remembered what it was from looking it up on the internet it was a man that was "A straw boater and blazer wearing tap dancer" as a support that was seen on the Feline tour. I think also Aural Sculpture tour they had a stripper that dressed to music. Maybe a a magician doing card tricks but that could be that i dreamt that one up i don't know for sure.
I was also told about people coming out dancing to Walzinblack under white sheets like ghosts on the introduction i was told that was on the Meninblack tour.
So the drums were just sticking to some kind of 50 year tradition maybe .
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

evonx wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 15:31
What a strange idea with the drummers.
Probably because of JJs love for and interest in Japan. Saw some of it on you tube just now - ok to me.
Not as strange as a ballet dancer on the 81 tour!
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 16:11
ThinkTank wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 14:03
StanInBlack wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 13:26 They should get a group of people assembling some sort of Ikea cabinet as an opening act next. It'd sound the same. I suppose the main feature would be worried about being blown offstage, though.
pmsl now that was really funny lets hope you haven't given them ideas even though i would love to see that myself.

To be fair the band have always had weird and unusual support acts i remember them using ventriloquists and mime acts and one really weird one that i cant quite recall but i bet other people that have seen the band with Hugh will remember better than my poor memory will anyway. Not to mention the strippers of course.

People these days like to have a "thing" attached to gigs or a release of an album but the old school way of just loving the band for the band themselves seem to be a dying appreciation. I have never cared about orchestras, violins , brass sections i have always been there just for the band but i think the band either get bored themselves or feel they need to add something or a "thing" to make it more interesting when its never been needed for me.

Regarding Baz's repetitive humour you cant really blame him telling the same jokes repeatedly over and over again when the fans repeatedly cheer and laugh at the repetitive banter over and over again. He's in the entertainment business so he wont stop a winning game and the band are experts remember at stretching things out to the very painful end.
lol I just remembered what it was from looking it up on the internet it was a man that was "A straw boater and blazer wearing tap dancer" as a support that was seen on the Feline tour. I think also Aural Sculpture tour they had a stripper that dressed to music. Maybe a a magician doing card tricks but that could be that i dreamt that one up i don't know for sure.
I was also told about people coming out dancing to Walzinblack under white sheets like ghosts on the introduction i was told that was on the Meninblack tour.
Actually La Folie tour i think it was regarding the white sheet ghosts dancing not the Meninblack tour
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

Oh yes, I remember all sorts of weird and wonderful things over the years but 3 blokes drumming for a minute seems somewhat ineffectual.
Now, if they had returned in some rat costumes for Sewer or wing flapping through Raven at least value for money could have been had.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

airflamesred wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 17:02
Oh yes, I remember all sorts of weird and wonderful things over the years but 3 blokes drumming for a minute seems somewhat ineffectual.
Now, if they had returned in some rat costumes for Sewer or wing flapping through Raven at least value for money could have been had.
I totally agree i did watch it and i think the same as your original post it was weird.

lol @ Rat costumes and flapping dancers to Raven nice one, comedy value for sure :grin: . I think that was what made the drummers worst it came across on you tube as if everyone was meant to take it seriously and be wowed by it all. Of course you cant get the true meaning and experience off the net but I really couldn't see the point of it.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 17:37
I totally agree i did watch it and i think the same as your original post it was weird.

lol @ Rat costumes and flapping dancers to Raven nice one, comedy value for sure :grin: . I think that was what made the drummers worst it came across on you tube as if everyone was meant to take it seriously and be wowed by it all. Of course you cant get the true meaning and experience off the net but I really couldn't see the point of it.

Yes I watched it too and don't really get it either tbh...
OK it was different but I don't know why they were at the Stranglers 50th...
The best Bit was the drums leading into who wants the world but as the band continued on from their act with that song stage handlers were back and forth taking their drums away while the band was playing didn't quite get the immediatness to do that really either.
I'm not going to knock a dam good tour because it has been for sure and in a way they can never win because finally they get the selist right with good changes more in line with how fans wanted it to be like and then it's thought that the drumming act was weird.....lol
There will always be something not right or good enough....lol
Overall this band best tour since.........I dunno but a very long time.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 28 Mar 2024, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 16:42

Actually La Folie tour i think it was regarding the white sheet ghosts dancing not the Meninblack tour
There was actually two parts to this.
It was the La Folie tour
They were called Mr _______ 20th century popular motets, an actual bar shop style quintet!
Magnificent audience participation at the Glasgow Apollo, as they sang their songs, and the crowd gradually worked out when the gaps would be, and then filled it in with “fu** off”.

After the Stranglers set ended, they were then sent out in large white shapes that formed the word “Folie” as the title track was played over the PA.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

Guy playing the spoons on the Feline tour was Nick Mallam. And it was Mr Spratts 20th Century Popular Motets on the La folie and they formed 'La Folie' in blankets or whatever at the end ....
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

jonimac wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 20:45 Magnificent audience participation at the Glasgow Apollo, as they sang their songs, and the crowd gradually worked out when the gaps would be, and then filled it in with “fu** off”.
I seem to remember the little ditti they was singing had the lyrics "Why Dont You" then there was the space which was quickly filled in by the crowd.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

This tours blue flashing lights into JLNOE & the Ruby's 40th opening with the four of them coming down in boxes into toiler must stand out as this bands best two visual opening intos ...not the best gigs overall you would have to go back to Hugh and the originals but visual openings pretty dam good visually I think...both their 40th and 50th are right up there.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 22:20 This tours blue flashing lights into JLNOE & the Ruby's 40th opening with the four of them coming down in boxes into toiler must stand out as this bands best two visual opening intos ...not the best gigs overall toy would have to go back to Hugh and the originals but visual openings.
Yes I was hoping for a MiB-themed intro this time. In fact, I can't fault the concept of the set.
Let's Boogie
Summer Dreamer
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Summer Dreamer »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 16:11 So the drums were just sticking to some kind of 50 year tradition maybe .
Oh yes, I remember all sorts of weird and wonderful things over the years...
Starbase 109
'Scaffolding pays good bread'