Portsmouth Guildhall the first half review.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Portsmouth Guildhall the first half review.

Post by Greatkudu »

As I said sadly due to getting over a Chest Infection and only just starting to get voice back,I made a health call and decided to just see the first set as staying for the whole gig would have been detrimental to my health,and no band is worth that not even the Stranglers or JJ and friends as some call them,I will get to that later.

So let's start,a packed Portsmouth Guildhall witnessed something rather special IMHO.Instead of the familiar Waltz in Black intro,we had the JLNOE intro with white lights resembling a UfO landing very creative and unexpected,then the band come on one by one and it's straight in to JLNOE one of my favourite songs,when they performed it about 4 years ago I thought it was weak to be honest,but Baz nailed it vocally and Jim nailed the very tricky Drum Pattern, a really great start,I'm not going to mention all the set as most of you know it or can see it on setlists etc,so I will focus more on the sound, performance etc, sound wise it was possibly the best for years,you could hear all the band clearly,vocals clear in the mix,and lights and production were a new level IMHO, certainly alot of work and thought had gone in to this tour making it memorable for band and fans alike,I loved the Gothic Chandelier lights over the stage a really classy touch.

Moving on to a few highlights,Hallow had to be one, possibly the hardest song to play of any Stranglers song? But they nailed it,a special mention for Jim Mac on this one,so many tempo changes,he proved he is a very skilled drummer and far more than just a hard hitter,he's playing with alot more subtley now, maybe he's more relaxed in his role now? And also a special mention to Toby,a worthy replacement for the late Dave,his playing was fantastic,and the Keyboards seem to have a fuller sound now? The end part of the Raven was fantastic,now for the only minor point,Genetix a very brave move? Or a fullish decision? Well Toby played the keyboard parts well but his voice is just not distinctive enough to pull it off,how could it be when Dave had so much character in his vocal delivery,also drum wise it didn't work for me,it just didn't sound right with the way Jim configures his drums,but I still quite enjoyed it just for the music.

Another revelation was JJs vocals,they sounded so good ,his voice has matured like a fine French Red Wine,so good on the Raven and North Winds,the first set ended with a Storming version of Sewer,and that was the end for me,I was so disappointed not to hear the second set,but i really wasn't feeling well,so made the right judgement call to go back to hotel.

To sum up from what I saw the band were in excellent form on this tour and really made an effort to please hardcore fans and casual fans to,if they keep on with this standard they should be around for a few more years yet,and are they still the Stranglers? Yes they still are IMHO, still the Stranglers but obviously with a different line up for obvious reasons,oh sorry I forgot to say how much I enjoyed Breathe from Dms,also vocally I thought it was the best I have heard Baz,it might have taken its toll as he lost his voice after? But seems ok now for the Albert Hall, from all accounts they really have been on fire on this tour,and as someone who has seen all the different lineups I was truly impressed by what I saw and heard, just a shame I didn't see the second set.Major General Kudu over and out.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Portsmouth Guildhall the first half review.

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 18:35 As I said sadly due to getting over a Chest Infection and only just starting to get voice back,I made a health call and decided to just see the first set as staying for the whole gig would have been detrimental to my health,and no band is worth that not even the Stranglers or JJ and friends as some call them,I will get to that later.

So let's start,a packed Portsmouth Guildhall witnessed something rather special IMHO.Instead of the familiar Waltz in Black intro,we had the JLNOE intro with white lights resembling a UfO landing very creative and unexpected,then the band come on one by one and it's straight in to JLNOE one of my favourite songs,when they performed it about 4 years ago I thought it was weak to be honest,but Baz nailed it vocally and Jim nailed the very tricky Drum Pattern, a really great start,I'm not going to mention all the set as most of you know it or can see it on setlists etc,so I will focus more on the sound, performance etc, sound wise it was possibly the best for years,you could hear all the band clearly,vocals clear in the mix,and lights and production were a new level IMHO, certainly alot of work and thought had gone in to this tour making it memorable for band and fans alike,I loved the Gothic Chandelier lights over the stage a really classy touch.

Moving on to a few highlights,Hallow had to be one, possibly the hardest song to play of any Stranglers song? But they nailed it,a special mention for Jim Mac on this one,so many tempo changes,he proved he is a very skilled drummer and far more than just a hard hitter,he's playing with alot more subtley now, maybe he's more relaxed in his role now? And also a special mention to Toby,a worthy replacement for the late Dave,his playing was fantastic,and the Keyboards seem to have a fuller sound now? The end part of the Raven was fantastic,now for the only minor point,Genetix a very brave move? Or a fullish decision? Well Toby played the keyboard parts well but his voice is just not distinctive enough to pull it off,how could it be when Dave had so much character in his vocal delivery,also drum wise it didn't work for me,it just didn't sound right with the way Jim configures his drums,but I still quite enjoyed it just for the music.

Another revelation was JJs vocals,they sounded so good ,his voice has matured like a fine French Red Wine,so good on the Raven and North Winds,the first set ended with a Storming version of Sewer,and that was the end for me,I was so disappointed not to hear the second set,but i really wasn't feeling well,so made the right judgement call to go back to hotel.

To sum up from what I saw the band were in excellent form on this tour and really made an effort to please hardcore fans and casual fans to,if they keep on with this standard they should be around for a few more years yet,and are they still the Stranglers? Yes they still are IMHO, still the Stranglers but obviously with a different line up for obvious reasons,oh sorry I forgot to say how much I enjoyed Breathe from Dms,also vocally I thought it was the best I have heard Baz,it might have taken its toll as he lost his voice after? But seems ok now for the Albert Hall, from all accounts they really have been on fire on this tour,and as someone who has seen all the different lineups I was truly impressed by what I saw and heard, just a shame I didn't see the second set.Major General Kudu over and out.
Thanks a great an honest review as usual from you on what you did see I thought the opening as only a video watcher and not one of the one's on the ground there so to speak like yourself was just excellent both visually and musically too.
The JLNOE extra long intro with the lights was special I thought and so was the song itself too was very good and yes I thought on the versions I've heard Baz vocally nailed it for sure.
I was saying I thought that they might surprise a few on this tour being excellent like they have been for sure....great for the band and it's fans.
I hope Baz's vocals are all good for the RAH and I wonder if there are any extras being there at that venue like they did before.... we will see.
Thanks for your post I enjoyed it and it was still worth seeing them on the first set like you saw and parts of me really wishes I was at the RAH myself but....never mind.
I wonder how many will be going in there in their new styled stranglers Harrington jackets.....
Last edited by toilerinblack on 26 Mar 2024, 19:10, edited 6 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 19:00
Greatkudu wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 18:35 As I said sadly due to getting over a Chest Infection and only just starting to get voice back,I made a health call and decided to just see the first set as staying for the whole gig would have been detrimental to my health,and no band is worth that not even the Stranglers or JJ and friends as some call them,I will get to that later.

Thanks a great an honest review as usual from you on what you did see I thought the opening as only a video watcher and not one of the one's on the ground there so to speak like yourself.
The JLNOE extra long intro with the lights was special I thought and so was the song itself too was very good and yes I thought on the versions I've heard Baz vocally nailed it for sure.
I hope Baz's vocals are OK for the RAH and I wonder if there are any extras being there at that venue we will see.
Thanks for your post j enjoyed it and it was still worth seeing them on the first set like you saw and parts of me really wishes I was at the RAH....never mind.
I wonder how many will be going in their sfanglers Harrington jackets.....
Thanks Sir yes I think a few extras for RAH and more than a few Harrington Style Jackets.🙂
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 19:05
toilerinblack wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 19:00

Thanks a great an honest review as usual from you on what you did see I thought the opening as only a video watcher and not one of the one's on the ground there so to speak like yourself.
I hope Baz's vocals are OK for the RAH and I wonder if there are any extras being there at that venue we will see.
Thanks for your post j enjoyed it and it was still worth seeing them on the first set like you saw and parts of me really wishes I was at the RAH....never mind.
I wonder how many will be going in their sfanglers Harrington jackets.....
Thanks Sir yes I think a few extras for RAH and more than a few Harrington Style Jackets.🙂
Yeah I hope so...again it was good you saw what you did and get well soon.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Sir to be honest,I would say they were better than when I saw them in 2022,they were just fantastic,such a good vibe between the band members,JJ of course is the Leader without a doubt, apparently during the second set which I missed Baz cocked up the GB solo,some footage which is quite amusing,I'm not a guitar player,but it alway seems quite a tricky solo to play? Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 19:56 Sir to be honest,I would say they were better than when I saw them in 2022,they were just fantastic,such a good vibe between the band members,JJ of course is the Leader without a doubt, apparently during the second set which I missed Baz cocked up the GB solo,some footage which is quite amusing,I'm not a guitar player,but it alway seems quite a tricky solo to play? Major Kudu.
It happens to the best of them...lol
I don't think the solo is to hard to play but it happens F...k up's and blank moments,I remember Hugh vocally live on a live TV music show suddenly forgetting some of Tramps lyrics it happens.
Baz has nothing to prove he's a fine guitarist for sure just one of those things that don't forget a guitarist/vocalist is dojng both at the same time...your mind is constantly on a two way level,I just played guitar for years then when trying from start to finish doing both....a different kettle of fish until your really used to doing both then it's easier...practice sure makes perfect.....lol
The stranglers especially both JJ and Baz knows the songs backwards and upside down and inside out...in their sleep lol....and JJ is a perfectionist on everybody knowing the material so well.
It happens to the best of them lol
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

Was there and was a great night, The Raven, Down In The Sewer and Ships That Pass In The Night have to be the highlight of the night
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

oliverj1999 wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 22:05 Was there and was a great night, The Raven, Down In The Sewer and Ships That Pass In The Night have to be the highlight of the night
So glad about ships been wanting them to do it for ages....baz got his way the in the end as a guess only..... I know he likes it.
From what I've heard on this tour they've all been of a very high standard and I think Baz has been singing the mk1 songs better than before.
Yeah the Raven versions I've heard JJ's voice sounds really good.
They've all played their part and Jim's drumming on Genetix was excellent mind you he learnt from the master himself on that song specifically....Jet Black!
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 19:56 Sir to be honest,I would say they were better than when I saw them in 2022,they were just fantastic,such a good vibe between the band members,JJ of course is the Leader without a doubt, apparently during the second set which I missed Baz cocked up the GB solo,some footage which is quite amusing,I'm not a guitar player,but it alway seems quite a tricky solo to play? Major Kudu.
Nice review Kudu. Many thanks for this especially in the circumstances.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Palais23 wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 11:24
Nice review Kudu. Many thanks for this especially in the circumstances.
Thanks Sir.Major Kudu.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Thanks for the review. I agree entirely with your sentiments.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

oliverj1999 wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 22:05 Was there and was a great night, The Raven, Down In The Sewer and Ships That Pass In The Night have to be the highlight of the night
Yep, was great to see Ships in particular.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye