Cambridge

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Cambridge

Post by aldinblack »

I was also at the Cambridge gig, my only one of this tour.
I loved the 2 set format, shame it can't always be like this.

The first set, what with all the epics played, was a treat !

Hallow, Raven, Genetix, Baroque, Sewer......, what more could you want.

My only complaint - trying to get to the toilet or the bar during the interval was almost impossible.

I thought that Genetix was excellent. The vocals is what it is.
The sound & music was superb - tight and powerful, and it hasn't always been like that.

JJ said that finding Toby has given them "a few more years".
Well I hope there's a few more yet, cause they've got a happy unit there..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

aldinblack wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 23:36 I was also at the Cambridge gig, my only one of this tour.

My only complaint - trying to get to the toilet or the bar during the interval was almost impossible.

The sound & music was superb - tight and powerful, and it hasn't always been like that.

100% agree. I think Toby has brought a lot to the band. His playing is so good the keyboards have been more upfront in the mix on this tour.
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

parasiteinblack wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 17:56 I went to Cambridge, it was good.

I've not been on the forum for a few weeks because I was avoiding all the spoilers. I came back yesterday looking forward to catching up on all the chat about the tour, but it seems to have been killed off and the setlist discussion was locked so that's really great, thanks everyone. :roll:
I am posting this a day later because I wondered whether there was even any point if the same old faces are just going to post the same old tosh once again. Let's see shall we...

I managed to be surprised by the setlist, there were great performances, and JJ and Baz especially seemed to be having a great time. Baz was possibly at the best I've ever seen him.
I don't know if it was just my ears but some of Toby's keyboard work sounded very off at times, particularly when he was using an organ sound. Sewer and SBC in particular did not hit as they should.

Hallow, Ships, North Winds and Time to Die were all especially great to hear.

I think they could have easily snuck in another 2 from the 90s, and I think Lost Control was the poorest choice from the Norfolk Coast album (at least there was something I suppose), but there were so many great song selections that it seems churlish to moan.

If you like Stranglers songs then this is probably the best way to experience them live in 2024, and I am qualified to say that as I have seen both of the living original Stranglers perform this year.

Can we have a Paul gig now please? I want to hear Wet Afternoon and Face and if the Stranglers aren't going to play them on their 50th anniversary tour then there's probably zero chance of them playing them any other time.
Was there too and agree with you on the review.

They seem to have got the mix/production spot on on this tour. Jim’s drumming more subtle and less crash bang wallop than I’ve seen in the past. Tobys keyboards much more prominent and clearer. I also thought his vocals on Genetix were good, no sign of him trying to sound like Dave, and besides the magic of that song on the night was the music/instruments. Baz - fine, I think having to play some different, tougher songs has sharpened him up again. JJ - well, he just gets better

Setlist- great, can’t complain really. Would like to have heard Shah. I did get the feeling during the first set that some of those songs are better suited to the end of the main set. They’re such classics. Thought the post 1990 stuff stood up alongside the MK1 stuff, can’t see why they don’t do more. Nothing from Giants though - says a lot

Re JJ and “a few more years”, all I’ll say is make the most of it and don’t hang about old fella. None of us is getting any younger
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

Great review and off to Portsmouth I go
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

aldinblack wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 23:36 I was also at the Cambridge gig, my only one of this tour.

Glad you enjoyed the gig and yes as a non goer what a set or two sets it's been and their doing so well too.
As I've always said on here in just my opinion only that their music is top draw ..faultless as good as ever and they are so tight as a unit...
The vocals is what it is like you say it's never going to be the same but never the less if the reviews are coming back like they are from fans like yourself and as good as they are and your thougherly enjoying your money's worth then happy days.
Musically this unit can do any backlog song as good and sometimes better that's never been in question for me only it's just for me the difference of vocals but like's whats' been said they are how they are.
Glad you thought it was a good as it was for you.
The band are differently giving this special 50th their all and more importantly ....the right setlist that the most want to hear....there's something there for everybody to like and enjoy.