50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah I've not heard JJ say they were gonna mix it up on this tour. He just said something about playing a song they've never played live before (whatever that is)

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:32 Yeah I've not heard JJ say they were gonna mix it up on this tour. He just said something about playing a song they've never played live before (whatever that is)

Jim
Breathe
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Stan aside (as he's getting way too much limelight at the mo).

Yeah "Fifty years" not 16 years of MKI which is mainly what the set comprises of. The Stranglers haven't evolved either. They've ended up with this lineup due to Dave's untimely death. They were doing one last tour (which I think was already planned prior to Dave's passing). Thankfully, they found a very talented chap that could perform Dave's keyboards on the tour. Almost disrespectful saying they've evolved really.

I agree they deffo didn't stop in 1990. I was one of the biggest post MKI fans. Some of those MKII gigs were the greatest gigs of my life. Just wish they'd celebrate that a little more than focusing on the MKI era as much. Sure the classics are in MKI but has the last 34 years post Hugh being nothing? If you're gonna do a 50th years of celebration then at least focus across the 50 years.

From The Jam and E-Xtc were 2 bands that sprung to mind with only 1 original member. If you can accept a band with only 1 original member left being the real deal then I'm not gonna argue against that. Good on you!

Jim

ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09
theraven1979 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 14:56 I can't ban someone just cos you disagree with their viewpoint. I'd ban about 25% of people on here if that was the case.
That’s a mischaracterisation. I’d didn’t say I’d ban him because I disagree with him – that would be ridiculous. I’d ban him from *this board* for trolling *this board*, which he clearly is. How ironic that, as a mod, he can’t recognise his own trolling.
theraven1979 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 14:56 With the rest of your comments. Yeah you're agreeing with my point about it being a nostalgia fest; I don't think the band and some of the fans accept that though. Not only is it nostalgia you've got 1 original member which leads me on to Stan's "JJ and Friends" comment - yeah perhaps a little amusing but what else should you call it? "E-XTC" have 1 original member, "From The Jam" have 1 original member. Selling it as "The Stranglers" is a bit much.
The tour is literally called “Fifty Years in Black” – it’s nostalgia by definition.

This idea that it’s somehow “JJ and Friends” is just blatant nonsense. The Stranglers, as an entity, has evolved. It has existed continuously, maybe not in a form that you like, since 1974. Fuck sake, Dave wasn’t even in the band then, so does he not count as an original? People have left/been ejected, and people have joined. It’s not like they stopped in 1990 and then 20 years later JJ has called up a few mates to kick it off again.

You’re drawing a false equivalence between The Stranglers and The Jam; they’re very different bands. The Stranglers were a collective whereas The Jam were Weller’s band. Which is one of the reasons Weller succeeded and Hugh didn’t – Hugh had no identity or recognition outside of The Stranglers; Weller did. The average punter in the street wouldn’t have known Hugh even at the height of their success.

So selling it as "The Stranglers" isn't a bit much - it's who they actually are.
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

The big question for me is what comes after the 50th anniversary year

I know there’s talk of new recorded material in 2025, but the big challenge there will be what contribution Toby makes in terms of input to song composition and keyboard ingenuity across all tracks. It has to be said that the three non Dave tracks on DM were not the best.

Then in terms of what the live set might look like. If it’s a return to the greatest hits format (effectively the last third of the current playlist), then I can see more people beginning to duck out. New and newer material forming a greater proportion of the set is one route forward, but that will have its detractors too. It’ll be interesting to see what the festival setlist looks like this year, although I think we know what’s coming there

JJ will have an interesting predicament on his hands, particularly having had to be talked into continuing after Dave passed. Personally I think he should record his solo album, get some of those 500+ ideas off his chest without having to worry about the so called Stranglers quality check. It might give him a new perspective on what comes next.

In meantime let’s enjoy the current tour and the return of some old favourites.
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

I really hope that the band do record new material but they do so taking artistic risks and experiment more. I think a lot will depend on Toby. He is obviously a very good keyboardist who can duplicate Dave's sounds live. But how good is he at writing music outside of the box as Dave did on many tracks (eg Raven album)? I suspect Toby reigned it in when playing on Dark Matters as he was a hired hand then. If he has the talent and the confidence, then the next album could be a cracker. One can look at the Rialto records but that does not necessarily mean that all he has to give. Some keyboardists thrive in some bands and not in others (eg Jon Lord - fabulous in Purple , pedestrian in Whitesnake). I hope JJ and Baz encourage him. Even if it produces one more great track that's fine by me - another one to add to their library.
JJ solo album - yeah why not? But let's have more from the band first.
BTW I see AC/DC are touring- I dread to think of the discussion on their forums!
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

The stranglers have evolved, but from four who have equal influence, to eventually JJ and three people who have varying levels of influence.

Its difficult for fans to feel the same way about the band as a result. Theres no other part of the site to say that, so its said here.

Having said that, its bonkers to suggest that they shouldnt tour. Fans arent forced to go, and are enjoying themselves.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I still think of the football analogy when this nonsemse comes up.

People feverishly support the same team which changes all the time yet can't accept when a band does.

Imagine expecting the Liverpool of 1977 to be the same as 2024 (cue jokes, c'mon!!!)

Of course it's not the same! Of course it's nostalgia.

But it's a fun night out and it's fucking rude to keep passing Baz off as not a strangler. Let alone those two young pups!

Go. Enjoy. If you don't wanna go, STFU!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Didn't JJ already confirm in a recent interview his next album is gonna be a solo effort? Pretty sure he did.

Jim
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09How ironic that, as a mod, he can’t recognise his own trolling.
I understand the definition of "trolling" perfectly well. Hint: it's not supposed to mean someone expressing an opinion that's counter to yours.
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09This idea that it’s somehow “JJ and Friends” is just blatant nonsense.
Is it? Just look at the band that's on the stage. JJ Burnel is there and... three other people that have nothing to do with the success or the identity of the band.
ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:09You’re drawing a false equivalence between The Stranglers and The Jam; they’re very different bands.
Different bands, same situation. One original member (in both cases, a bassist who occasionally wrote and sang) and several other members that are simply there to make up the numbers. From the Jam had the sense to not call it The Jam. JJ Burnel & Friends insist on calling what they do The Stranglers. To my mind, and many others, it isn't. What it is, is a competent band playing Stranglers music, but to call that The Stranglers is a huge stretch.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I disagree with the football team analogy.Players are too old at 32/33 so have to be replaced.And bands don't represent towns and cities.But yeah,if you don't want to go then don't.The full houses aren't complaining.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 18:00 I still think of the football analogy when this nonsemse comes up.

People feverishly support the same team which changes all the time yet can't accept when a band does.
Because football teams don't function the same way that a band does. It's like comparing driving a forklift to figure skating.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 17:43 The stranglers have evolved, but from four who have equal influence, to eventually JJ and three people who have varying levels of influence.
Yup. Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield were all in the same boat (with Hugh being the primary creative force songwriting-wise and JJ being the secondary creative force), whereas JJB&F is JJ and three employees. A very different dynamic.