50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by theraven1979 »

Greatkudu wrote:
evonx wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 20:45 Slightly back on topic, it seems they played exactly the same set on the gigs so far?
Which is boring,JJ always says we change set every night.Major Kudu.
They only change the set a little if a song isn't working.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 22:01
Greatkudu wrote:
evonx wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 20:45 Slightly back on topic, it seems they played exactly the same set on the gigs so far?
Which is boring,JJ always says we change set every night.Major Kudu.
They only change the set a little if a song isn't working.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
My advice drop Genetix,as it's truly awful IMHO.Major Styles.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

toilerinblack wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 21:46 What makes someone become a fan of any particular band....First and formost?
The music I would of thought
It' all about the music.
Yep,I'd agree with that.No argument.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Ruby wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 20:14 There's nothing new to add,nothing different.It's been JJ only for almost four years now and no Jet or Hugh for even longer.Not like it's a shock or surprise.It is what it is,like it or not.I don't quite like it myself but nobody is arsed,nor should they be.
Yes..... nobody being arsed who is in the band comes across loud and clear.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

ThinkTank wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 23:07
Ruby wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 20:14 There's nothing new to add,nothing different.It's been JJ only for almost four years now and no Jet or Hugh for even longer.Not like it's a shock or surprise.It is what it is,like it or not.I don't quite like it myself but nobody is arsed,nor should they be.
Yes..... nobody being arsed who is in the band comes across loud and clear.
Also of course, it is about the music, but the music is a product of those that made it. Take those personalities out of the music and it becomes something else. Like the difference between fresh bread and stale bread.
ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

theraven1979 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:08 I think this lineup and tour was always going to be questioned. As there's only JJ in the band and if I recall the last tour was supposed to be "the final tour" or whatever. The tours lean more and more on the MKI years and it's always an "anniversary" or "greatest hits" package. The radical thing about this tour is that we have "new" old MKI songs that haven't been played in a while.
Look around - it's all a nostalgia trip, that's where live music is for bands like the Stranglers.
theraven1979 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:08 So the longer it goes on the more people question the integrity of it (and quite rightly). Stan is the extreme version of that and "feeding the troll" as it were is only going to fan the flames of his feelings towards this lineup.
At least you're making the tacit admission that he is trolling, that he's "being fed". He's not adding anything of value to this board, he's not offering reasoned debate, he's just attention seeking. I'd ban him from posting tbh.
theraven1979 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:08 As I've said on a few occasions recently just because I don't agree with someone's opinion doesn't mean it shouldn't be posted. I kinda agree with what he's saying but he's perhaps a little too direct in his approach (for some people).
It's not that he's direct - it's that he's repetitive, predicable, and tedious. "JJ and Friends" - haha, what a wit.
theraven1979 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:08 Interestingly, I have noticed with this tour there seem to be more people who are choosing not to see the lineup for various reasons but wish the band well. I'm one of them. I've enjoyed reading the reviews.
It seems to be selling well, so there's a market for the nostalgia they're providing. There's less of a market for obscure album tracks or B-sides; those are the people they're losing from the tour, and there's a diminishing number of them.
ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:11
ozymandias wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 12:35That montage of “The Stranglers”?
StanInBlack wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:11 The Stranglers. No inverted commas necessary.
It's a direct quote so, yeah, they are necessary.
ozymandias wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 12:35Ignore the last 30 years.
StanInBlack wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:11 This is what most do anyway? Even JJB&F themselves, judging by their latest setlists.
Would be great if you could ignore this forum.
Dunno if I've fucked up this multi-level quoting, but I'm sure you get the gist.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I can't ban someone just cos you disagree with their viewpoint. I'd ban about 25% of people on here if that was the case.

With the rest of your comments. Yeah you're agreeing with my point about it being a nostalgia fest; I don't think the band and some of the fans accept that though. Not only is it nostalgia you've got 1 original member which leads me on to Stan's "JJ and Friends" comment - yeah perhaps a little amusing but what else should you call it? "E-XTC" have 1 original member, "From The Jam" have 1 original member. Selling it as "The Stranglers" is a bit much.

Jim

ozymandias wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 14:42
theraven1979 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:08 I think this lineup and tour was always going to be questioned. As there's only JJ in the band and if I recall the last tour was supposed to be "the final tour" or whatever. The tours lean more and more on the MKI years and it's always an "anniversary" or "greatest hits" package. The radical thing about this tour is that we have "new" old MKI songs that haven't been played in a while.
Look around - it's all a nostalgia trip, that's where live music is for bands like the Stranglers.
theraven1979 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:08 So the longer it goes on the more people question the integrity of it (and quite rightly). Stan is the extreme version of that and "feeding the troll" as it were is only going to fan the flames of his feelings towards this lineup.
At least you're making the tacit admission that he is trolling, that he's "being fed". He's not adding anything of value to this board, he's not offering reasoned debate, he's just attention seeking. I'd ban him from posting tbh.
theraven1979 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:08 As I've said on a few occasions recently just because I don't agree with someone's opinion doesn't mean it shouldn't be posted. I kinda agree with what he's saying but he's perhaps a little too direct in his approach (for some people).
It's not that he's direct - it's that he's repetitive, predicable, and tedious. "JJ and Friends" - haha, what a wit.
theraven1979 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:08 Interestingly, I have noticed with this tour there seem to be more people who are choosing not to see the lineup for various reasons but wish the band well. I'm one of them. I've enjoyed reading the reviews.
It seems to be selling well, so there's a market for the nostalgia they're providing. There's less of a market for obscure album tracks or B-sides; those are the people they're losing from the tour, and there's a diminishing number of them.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

theraven1979 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 14:56 I can't ban someone just cos you disagree with their viewpoint. I'd ban about 25% of people on here if that was the case.
That’s a mischaracterisation. I’d didn’t say I’d ban him because I disagree with him – that would be ridiculous. I’d ban him from *this board* for trolling *this board*, which he clearly is. How ironic that, as a mod, he can’t recognise his own trolling.
theraven1979 wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 14:56 With the rest of your comments. Yeah you're agreeing with my point about it being a nostalgia fest; I don't think the band and some of the fans accept that though. Not only is it nostalgia you've got 1 original member which leads me on to Stan's "JJ and Friends" comment - yeah perhaps a little amusing but what else should you call it? "E-XTC" have 1 original member, "From The Jam" have 1 original member. Selling it as "The Stranglers" is a bit much.
The tour is literally called “Fifty Years in Black” – it’s nostalgia by definition.

This idea that it’s somehow “JJ and Friends” is just blatant nonsense. The Stranglers, as an entity, has evolved. It has existed continuously, maybe not in a form that you like, since 1974. Fuck sake, Dave wasn’t even in the band then, so does he not count as an original? People have left/been ejected, and people have joined. It’s not like they stopped in 1990 and then 20 years later JJ has called up a few mates to kick it off again.

You’re drawing a false equivalence between The Stranglers and The Jam; they’re very different bands. The Stranglers were a collective whereas The Jam were Weller’s band. Which is one of the reasons Weller succeeded and Hugh didn’t – Hugh had no identity or recognition outside of The Stranglers; Weller did. The average punter in the street wouldn’t have known Hugh even at the height of their success.

So selling it as "The Stranglers" isn't a bit much - it's who they actually are.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

Yes.
All four have been most enjoyable though.
That'll do me until London
rotten thoughts
ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

iain wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:10

Yes.
All four have been most enjoyable though.
That'll do me until London
Other than JJ's spurious claims that they "mix it up", I don't understand the hysteria about them playing the same set - they're playing to a different audience (largely) each night.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

JJ said that about 5 years ago didn't he ? I've not read or heard him saying it about this tour but I stand corrected.All acts perform the same set every night anyway.They don't rehearse 200 different songs to play 20 different ones at ten different venues.