50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by Josh »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:39
oliverj1999 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:15 So much negativity on here, your supposed to be fans not haters.
Being a fan of something doesn't mean you have to accept everything that they do, though.
You don't have to reject everything they do, though.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Josh wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:56
oliverj1999 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:15 So much negativity on here, your supposed to be fans not haters.
Being a fan of something doesn't mean you have to accept everything that they do, though.
I don't? :lol:
oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by oliverj1999 »

Being a fan of something doesn't mean you have to accept everything that they do, though. Also, many people here seem to be forgetting how much shit PR got thrown his way back in the day. None of it by me, might I add.
I admit I'm in my mid 20s who grew up listening to NC and Written In Red. NC, The Raven and La Folie are my favourite albums and I wish I got to see the Hugh era and even the stranglers in the 90s. Shame it won't ever happen.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 17:13
Josh wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 16:56

I don't? :lol:
:grin:
Never say goodbye,
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

oliverj1999 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 17:17
Being a fan of something doesn't mean you have to accept everything that they do, though. Also, many people here seem to be forgetting how much shit PR got thrown his way back in the day. None of it by me, might I add.
I admit I'm in my mid 20s who grew up listening to NC and Written In Red. NC, The Raven and La Folie are my favourite albums and I wish I got to see the Hugh era and even the stranglers in the 90s. Shame it won't ever happen.
Agree with you there mate.
Never say goodbye,
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

oliverj1999 wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 17:17
It's good to hear from a young fan. Yes, to the gigs I attended, usually the Stranglers were great live with Hugh. At least you never had to endure the brass section on some of MK1's latter tours!! Also, when Paul left, more of the old aggression came back to the performances plus the band is better balanced live as a four piece. They have certainly been a very special band over the years and don't let anybody tell you that they weren't a punk band!
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 00:17
toilerinblack wrote:
Cricklewood wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 22:15 Just heard Ships That Pass In The Night on Youtube. Sounds great!
Yes it was a good version I've not long heard it and it's a song for a long time baz has liked and I think he wanted to do.
I've also just heard Genetix too and obviously nobody can replicate Dave's way of singing this song with his growly deliverance that was simply brilliant back in the day like only he can do lol so I think for a first or second time for Toby he done well and the song may grow and get better with time.
But for me with genetix it's not about being close to Dave's vocals that's not what it's about for me it's about a song tributed well to Dave and why not do it.
Who wants the world sounded good too from what I could hear of it on not a great recording.
Their doing well with the early stages of the tour with a good set that has at last seen good changes to it so I can't grumble I think they've on the whole tried to keep fans happy.
This is such a long way of saying "I think it sounded ok"

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
“Sounded good” was the words used
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

ozymandias wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 12:35 Christ. I see it’s the same old tired shit churned out by the same old tedious bores. That montage of “The Stranglers”? Fucking over 30 years ago, get over it. Ironically your idealised version never even existed – at least choose photos of when they were actually all in the band. And if that’s the incarnation of the band you enjoy, just go and listen to their first nine albums, or even 10 if you can bear it. If you prefer Hugh’s stuff now – good for you: lap it up. Ignore the last 30 years. We all know your thoughts on “the Stranglers are a tribute band” and “JJ and Friends”, you’re adding nothing to it. You’re redundant; you keep repeating yourselves; you say the same things over and over.

I’ve seen all versions of the Stranglers dozens of times. I’ve not seen them on this tour, nor on the previous three or four; it’s not for me anymore. But I don’t feel the need to dump on them – they’re completely entitled to do whatever they want as long as they’re enjoying it and there’s a market for it. They don’t have any obligation to protect some pasty-faced keyboard warrior’s notion of “their legacy”.
👏👏👏
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

There's nothing new to add,nothing different.It's been JJ only for almost four years now and no Jet or Hugh for even longer.Not like it's a shock or surprise.It is what it is,like it or not.I don't quite like it myself but nobody is arsed,nor should they be.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Slightly back on topic, it seems they played exactly the same set on the gigs so far?
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 12 Mar 2024, 20:45 Slightly back on topic, it seems they played exactly the same set on the gigs so far?
Which is boring,JJ always says we change set every night.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

What makes someone become a fan of any particular band....First and formost?
The music I would of thought...their music.
I remember getting into the Stranglers with rattus for the very first time and it was the music that was being played to me that stunned me like never before...I didn't even know any member I was looking at the cover inside the house at Blackheath wondering who was who and who played what and the fact JJ was right at the front I though he was the obvious frontman or main singer,Hugh who I didn't know then was standing right at the back and I thought who is he the drummer lol
What I'm trying to say it's about the music is why we are fans of this band and we can all have favourite members from different times but it's the music and this line up is still playing that great music and I also like their own music away from Hugh too so all is sweet really on the whole for me only.
Music from whatever line up if it's good and you enjoy it then that's all that should matter...over he's not as good as him from over 34 years ago.
The four now in the current line up are all very professional musicians who all do a great job I think and deserve their praises as one fans worth only for putting on an excellent 50th show so far.
It' all about the music.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 12 Mar 2024, 22:18, edited 14 times in total.