50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by ThinkTank »

StanInBlack wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 17:43
ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:26 Just watched some footage of the gigs with Baz and whilst singing Golden Brown on cue goes to the front of the stage mid song and holds his hands out like the messiah of stranglers song writing egging the crowd on to adore him and cheer.
Indeed. It's always been painfully grating to see the former bass player of Toy Dolls acting like he's a huge reason why The Stranglers were so successful. Now they're trying to rope the former keyboard player of Rialto into literally replacing Dave Greenfield in every way, right down to awkwardly singing his songs when his voice doesn't have the right personality or character for it. Just as well it wasn't "Peasant in the Big Shitty", because that would have been even more cringeworthy. Total cabaret.
Painfully grating is exactly how it feels.
I thought Genetix was shocking. I bet JJ couldn't believe his luck he's well and truly tested replacement singers now and could be confident now that anyone will do, he could even use Vic Reeves singing in the style of a club singer and know the fans would support it.

When you look back how great they were It's very sad to see what the Stranglers have become today
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ThinkTank wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 05:18
ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:26 Just watched some footage of the gigs with Baz and whilst singing Golden Brown on cue goes to the front of the stage mid song and holds his hands out like the messiah of stranglers song writing egging the crowd on to adore him and cheer.
Indeed. It's always been painfully grating to see the former bass player of Toy Dolls acting like he's a huge reason why The Stranglers were so successful. Now they're trying to rope the former keyboard player of Rialto into literally replacing Dave Greenfield in every way, right down to awkwardly singing his songs when his voice doesn't have the right personality or character for it. Just as well it wasn't "Peasant in the Big Shitty", because that would have been even more cringeworthy. Total cabaret.
I thought Genetix was shocking. I bet JJ couldn't believe his luck he's well and truly tested replacement singers now and could be confident now that anyone will do, he could even use Vic Reeves singing in the style of a club singer and know the fans would support it.

When you look back how great they were It's very sad to see what the Stranglers have become today
Sir all your points are very valid,but the positives are they are still keeping the Hugh songs going and they have really pushed the boat out with the production,I will be going to sunny Portsmouth in 23rd March and will do a brutally honest review,but I totally understand how you feel,I really think Genetix was a big mistake,brave or stupid? You decide?
Major Swift Styles Bunter Stone Eilish.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 07:56

Sir all your points are very valid,but the positives are they are still keeping the Hugh songs going and they have really pushed the boat out with the production,I will be going to sunny Portsmouth in 23rd March and will do a brutally honest review,but I totally understand how you feel,I really think Genetix was a big mistake,brave or stupid? You decide?
Yes a very important comment there it has brought all those wonderful Hugh songs and kept that ship sailing as well i agree

I think Stan made the most valid point of all and that was the personality and character of Dave is missing and as soon as i read that i knew exactly what Stan meant by that it immediately resonated with me because i understood exactly what that meant. Its what i have been trying to say in so many paragraphs and Stan has nailed it in one sentence. This of course is the same for Hugh as well. This is something that is invisible and cant be seen or touched its not tangible like a guitar.
This area the vocals is the one thing that can not be replaced its the one instrument of a band that is unique to one person only and that is always the original singer because only the original singer can be who they are it cannot be copied. Baz can pretend as much as he likes as can all the other replacements but you cant be the character and personality of the authentic and original singer. Well a tribute act can but then they are not pretending to still be the real Stranglers like the current line up are.

So it doesnt matter if you can play a guitar solo better or be younger so have more energy or fill bigger venues all of that means Jack shit because the Stranglers can never be more than a tribute act as the real Stranglers and vocals can not be replaced.

Now some on here can scoff at that and laugh and that's fine but i wonder if its maybe they didn't connect with the original line up like i did it really has been a lifetime of following for me . No Other band growing up had the same effect on me like the Stranglers did so probably that's why other fans can easily take a replacement singer like its not the most important thing but i cant. Maybe the songs on their own is all they want so they have a different view point from me i don't know or care .

I accept that people only want to go for a good time and i understand that but its really the arrogance of Baz and the way he likes to express himself as being brilliant and wants all the praise for someone else's works when he has done nothing to earn that right is what bothers me.

The Stranglers underneath all that production and lighting and glitz is doing nothing more than what Straighten Out provide.

I will look forward to your review Kudu and i believe you when you say you will be brutally honest and i hope its a good gig for you and one that you enjoy.
Its my personal feelings i am expressing here from the backlash of seeing Baz with all his arrogance without having brought anything to the song writing of the band apart from being JJ's best friend and making sure JJ is happy - which doesnt amount to anything in my book its nothing special any arse licker can do that you see it in every work place every day.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

ThinkTank wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 10:07

Now some on here can scoff at that and laugh and that's fine but i wonder if its maybe they didn't connect with the original line up like i did it really has been a lifetime of following for me . No Other band growing up had the same effect on me like the Stranglers did so probably that's why other fans can easily take a replacement singer like its not the most important thing but i cant. Maybe the songs on their own is all they want so they have a different view point from me i don't know or care .

I accept that people only want to go for a good time and i understand that but its really the arrogance of Baz and the way he likes to express himself as being brilliant and wants all the praise for someone else's works when he has done nothing to earn that right is what bothers me
My two cents...I never saw the original line up as I was born after Hugh left, so perhaps I find it easier to accept Baz. I don't find him arrogant though and I certainly don't think he "wants all the praise for someone else's works".

I've had the pleasure of meeting Baz and he's always come across as a thoroughly decent and humble chap, who is very respectful of the position he finds himself in.

For me, its all about the music and despite your words to the contrary, you do seem to care about other people's opinions - I don't think you'd post as extensively on the subject otherwise.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

To be balanced,I remember seeing the band to Hallow back in the day,and I would say possibly the most difficult song to play live,I saw some footage on the current tour and I would say they nailed it,I commend them for that,of course you can't beat Hughs vocals,but Baz did a pretty good job IMHO and Jim did well to.Major Kudu.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Josh wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 10:42
ThinkTank wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 10:07

I accept that people only want to go for a good time and i understand that but its really the arrogance of Baz and the way he likes to express himself as being brilliant and wants all the praise for someone else's works when he has done nothing to earn that right is what bothers me
My two cents...I never saw the original line up as I was born after Hugh left, so perhaps I find it easier to accept Baz. I don't find him arrogant though and I certainly don't think he "wants all the praise for someone else's works".

I've had the pleasure of meeting Baz and he's always come across as a thoroughly decent and humble chap, who is very respectful of the position he finds himself in.

For me, its all about the music and despite your words to the contrary, you do seem to care about other people's opinions - I don't think you'd post as extensively on the subject otherwise.
Oh you are so right i love to hear other peoples points of view and opinions what ever they may be . When i said i don't care i really meant i don't care if people have a different point of view to mine. I am genuinely looking forward to hearing Kudu's review even if he says it was the best gig he's ever been at i will enjoy reading it but my personal point of view will never change on the band. I respect everyone's view even those that call me a "cock" lol that did make me laugh and if people say they love the current line up i respect that i usually comment when people may say how good they do the original line up material then i will definitely have an opinion on that. I do would you believe let many comments go and not reply :grin:

I understand your position completely with the band as i can see that they give a good show and i know where you are coming from but where i stand is once you have had the original line up the step backwards for me it too big to enjoy or respect. Other formats or configuration differences could have worked for me but the original vocals is something i have never been able to understand. I also think Hugh was the main man for me it really is like replacing Elvis Presley with another singer and expecting people to buy it
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

ThinkTank wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 05:18 he could even use Vic Reeves singing in the style of a club singer and know the fans would support it.
Talking of which, I watched The Damned "Berlin Live" on Sky Arts the other night and I found myself thinking Dave Vanian was doing a bit too much of his pub singer impression through pretty much every song, which was a real pity. I saw them live in the early 2000s and don't remember him doing that quite so much, if at all.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

Just a few opinions on what’s been said

Toby’s performance on Genetix and should he be doing it? Of course it’s not going to sound like Dave, how could it. Just as Paul Roberts and John Ellis were never going to be like Hugh (or sounding like JJ on JJ’s originally sung songs). Ditto Baz and Jim for Jet. Should he be doing it? Well why not, for all the same reasons. If you adopt the “he/they shouldn’t be doing it out of respect for Dave” argument, the same surely applies to PR, JE, BW and Jim replacing Hugh and Jet. And then there wouldn’t be any songs left to play.

Hugh was the main man. No he wasn’t. There’s never been a main man in The Stranglers, that’s why they were and are such a great and unique band. The sum being greater than the parts. JJ and Dave wrote and sang stuff - a significant amount

Tribute band? Don’t be daft. Bands evolve and adapt when people depart for whatever reason. Hasn’t stopped The Damned, The Pretenders, The Who, The Stones etc..carrying on. Same with the Banshees way back. Is it the same? Of course not, but everyone makes their choice. It’ll be interesting to see where Killing Joke go next and if they do carry on, I’ll go and see them and decide, but it won’t be a tribute act

Hugh calling the current line up a tribute act. Pipe down old son. Can’t take seriously someone who plasters his involvement in a band he left 34 years ago to promote his material and live performances, more so now than he ever did. If your output and live performance was any good, it should stand up on its own merits without the need to remind everyone what you did half a lifetime ago. Obviously not in the class of, for example, Peter Gabriel and Bryan Ferry, whose solo material and performances don’t have to highlight the bands they play or played in.

Current setlist. Looks good, nice to see some songs I thought would never get an airing again, delivered by a band that has changed and evolved over time. Shame Shah isn’t on the list, yet
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I have seen a few clips of current tour and am avoiding looking at whole set as I want a surprise in Portsmouth, maybe a Stripper waiting in my Hotel room would be good 🙂 joking,but the weak point is definitely the vocals of Baz,on some songs it's ok,but Hallow was great musically but his vocals let it down,but it's as it is,he sounds ok on WWTW,then I saw a recent clip of Hugh doing it and it was reality check.Major Eilish Ray Styles Adele Murrs Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

BankMan wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 13:19 Just a few opinions on what’s been said

Toby’s performance on Genetix and should he be doing it? Of course it’s not going to sound like Dave, how could it. Just as Paul Roberts and John Ellis were never going to be like Hugh (or sounding like JJ on JJ’s originally sung songs). Ditto Baz and Jim for Jet. Should he be doing it? Well why not, for all the same reasons. If you adopt the “he/they shouldn’t be doing it out of respect for Dave” argument, the same surely applies to PR, JE, BW and Jim replacing Hugh and Jet. And then there wouldn’t be any songs left to play.

Hugh was the main man. No he wasn’t. There’s never been a main man in The Stranglers, that’s why they were and are such a great and unique band. The sum being greater than the parts. JJ and Dave wrote and sang stuff - a significant amount

Tribute band? Don’t be daft. Bands evolve and adapt when people depart for whatever reason. Hasn’t stopped The Damned, The Pretenders, The Who, The Stones etc..carrying on. Same with the Banshees way back. Is it the same? Of course not, but everyone makes their choice. It’ll be interesting to see where Killing Joke go next and if they do carry on, I’ll go and see them and decide, but it won’t be a tribute act

Hugh calling the current line up a tribute act. Pipe down old son. Can’t take seriously someone who plasters his involvement in a band he left 34 years ago to promote his material and live performances, more so now than he ever did. If your output and live performance was any good, it should stand up on its own merits without the need to remind everyone what you did half a lifetime ago. Obviously not in the class of, for example, Peter Gabriel and Bryan Ferry, whose solo material and performances don’t have to highlight the bands they play or played in.

Current setlist. Looks good, nice to see some songs I thought would never get an airing again, delivered by a band that has changed and evolved over time. Shame Shah isn’t on the list, yet
Very valid points,but must correct you on Hugh,on his last tour he performed more solo songs than Stranglers.Major Kudu.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

droopsnoot wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 13:06
ThinkTank wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 05:18 he could even use Vic Reeves singing in the style of a club singer and know the fans would support it.
Talking of which, I watched The Damned "Berlin Live" on Sky Arts the other night and I found myself thinking Dave Vanian was doing a bit too much of his pub singer impression through pretty much every song, which was a real pity. I saw them live in the early 2000s and don't remember him doing that quite so much, if at all.
I have never really been a Damned fan don't ask me why as i have no idea i just never gelled with their sound. I have seen them live too and they were really good and Dave Vanian had a great voice they were brilliant actually. I never saw them in the punk days but it was about the time they had Eloise out as a single i think (a long time ago now so not too sure) and Captain Sensible was in the band as well.

I do wonder if the club singer impression is to disguise the weakening of the voice now he's getting older?
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

ThinkTank wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 13:35
droopsnoot wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 13:06
I have never really been a Damned fan don't ask me why as i have no idea i just never gelled with their sound. I have seen them live too and they were really good and Dave Vanian had a great voice they were brilliant actually. I never saw them in the punk days but it was about the time they had Eloise out as a single i think (a long time ago now so not too sure) and Captain Sensible was in the band as well.

I do wonder if the club singer impression is to disguise the weakening of the voice now he's getting older?
I don't know - his actual singing seemed fine, it was all the extra "Yeah, well " between all the lines, instead of just singing the actual lyrics. The odd bit, sure, but it was all the time. It's a pretty recent gig - if 2016 is still counted as recent - with Sensible on guitar. Eloise was the encore, their cover was from mid to late eighties I think.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall