50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by Palais23 »

Homer wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 19:37
MiB81 wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:43
ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:26 Just watched some footage of the gigs with Baz and whilst singing Golden Brown on cue goes to the front of the stage mid song and holds his hands out like the messiah of stranglers song writing egging the crowd on to adore him and cheer. I wasn't going to say anything but i have never been a fan of people that jump on the backs of the real geniuses and try to steal other peoples work as their own so something needs to be said i think.

If you appreciate tribute bands then i guess JJ's version of that is the best you can get but at least the other lesser known tribute bands respect the original band a lot more than the replacement of the replacement singer of the original singer, song writer and the main man Hugh Cornwell.
Baz needs to be more respectful if he's going to perform other peoples work and try to palm it off as his own.

Utter dog shit and that could be absolutely any one, any band up there being successful due to the works of Hugh Cornwell and its a huge testament to the main man, Hugh Cornwell why that band is still going after 50 years oh and not forget JJ holding on to the band regardless of what that means or what he has turned them into. Baz has nothing to do with any of that he's just enjoying the praise for something he is not capable of producing himself.

Give me the genuine real authentic band any day not fake tribute acts that JJ has turned them into i would rather nothing than that. Its a very sad moment to see what they have become.
Oh do fuck off
All entitled to our own opinions, and some of that I agree with. Have always said after every GB guitar solo ... why the praise for doing his job? Its like me doing it after every floor I've laid.
Yeah, but do you have JJ looking daggers at you if you balls up your floors? :grin:
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Homer wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 19:37
ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:26 Just watched some footage of the gigs with Baz and whilst singing Golden Brown on cue goes to the front of the stage mid song and holds his hands out like the messiah of stranglers song writing egging the crowd on to adore him and cheer. I wasn't going to say anything but i have never been a fan of people that jump on the backs of the real geniuses and try to steal other peoples work as their own so something needs to be said i think.

If you appreciate tribute bands then i guess JJ's version of that is the best you can get but at least the other lesser known tribute bands respect the original band a lot more than the replacement of the replacement singer of the original singer, song writer and the main man Hugh Cornwell.
Baz needs to be more respectful if he's going to perform other peoples work and try to palm it off as his own.

Utter dog shit and that could be absolutely any one, any band up there being successful due to the works of Hugh Cornwell and its a huge testament to the main man, Hugh Cornwell why that band is still going after 50 years oh and not forget JJ holding on to the band regardless of what that means or what he has turned them into. Baz has nothing to do with any of that he's just enjoying the praise for something he is not capable of producing himself.

Give me the genuine real authentic band any day not fake tribute acts that JJ has turned them into i would rather nothing than that. Its a very sad moment to see what they have become.
Oh do fuck off
All entitled to our own opinions, and some of that I agree with. Have always said after every GB guitar solo ... why the praise for doing his job? Its like me doing it after every floor I've laid.
👏👏👏
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Homer wrote:

Oh do fuck off
To be fair you're pretty good at it! (Homer did a great job on my office floor in my previous house)

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

Well as I've said before been fan since 79 followed them and Hugh through all these years remember Hugh wasn't sacked he left at his own will but the band carried on also we lost 2 other legengs through covid and age but we are still following this band with replacements that's carried the band forward and good luck to them and honestly am so glad they have reached this milestone as for the glasgow show the othet nite the set list was nothing short of brilliance long live the band and can't wait for Albert Hall
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

Well as I've said before been fan since 79 followed them and Hugh through all these years remember Hugh wasn't sacked he left at his own will but the band carried on also we lost 2 other legengs through covid and age but we are still following this band with replacements that's carried the band forward and good luck to them and honestly am so glad they have reached this milestone as for the glasgow show the othet nite the set list was nothing short of brilliance long live the band and can't wait for Albert Hall
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

stuartinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 20:28 Well as I've said before been fan since 79 followed them and Hugh through all these years remember Hugh wasn't sacked he left at his own will but the band carried on also we lost 2 other legengs through covid and age but we are still following this band with replacements that's carried the band forward and good luck to them and honestly am so glad they have reached this milestone as for the glasgow show the othet nite the set list was nothing short of brilliance long live the band and can't wait for Albert Hall
I think the RAH could be a corker....something special to end the tour.
I wish I was going...and would of had been had it been the original four 100%
But never the less your gojng to experinaxe a special atmosphere I've always felt even going there as a child....it's a one off place is how I feel and I felt that as a child when I went there in a box with my dad to see a proms not that i was into it much but my dad toke me because he wanted to go and I was in awe of the place.
The stranglers obviously have respect for there too what with suits and a string orchestra like never before and I'm glad they did just that it made the night special with respect fort where they were playing and that's why I hope they will do something a little different again there like before but this is bigger and better being their 50th and the current line up I feel will give a better gig than the Stranglers mk11 did and how the songs should sound more like should I say as a four piece again with the right sounding tele and vocals.
Enjoy your special night there seeing them....definitely a night to remember when the band are long gone.
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 20:36
stuartinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 20:28 Well as I've said before been fan since 79 followed them and Hugh through all these years remember Hugh wasn't sacked he left at his own will but the band carried on also we lost 2 other legengs through covid and age but we are still following this band with replacements that's carried the band forward and good luck to them and honestly am so glad they have reached this milestone as for the glasgow show the othet nite the set list was nothing short of brilliance long live the band and can't wait for Albert Hall
I think the RAH could be a corker....something special to end the tour.
I wish I was going...and would of had been had it been the original four 100%
But never the less your gojng to experinaxe a special atmosphere I've always felt even going there as a child....it's a one off place is how I feel and I felt that as a child when I went there in a box with my dad to see a proms not that i was into it much but my dad toke me because he wanted to go and I was in awe of the place.
The stranglers obviously have respect for there too what with suits and a string orchestra like never before and I'm glad they did just that it made the night special with respect fort where they were playing and that's why I hope they will do something a little different again there like before but this is bigger and better being their 50th and the current line up I feel will give a better gig than the Stranglers mk11 did and how the songs should sound more like should I say as a four piece again with the right sounding tele and vocals.
Enjoy your special night there seeing them....definitely a night to remember when the band are long gone.
Will do fingers 🤞Toiler
Grip
Down In The Sewer

Post by Grip »

I went to both Glasgow and Edinburgh, and I think Edinburgh Usher Hall edged it as it was the second night and the band seemed more relaxed, and also, as a venue it was awesome.
There are quite clearly various opinions on this forum about the band, but if you want to see a band playing Stranglers songs, then in Scotland, you'll go and see The Stranglers. To sell out the Armadillo and the Usher Hall, on consecutive nights is quite something.
As Hugh said recently

"The songs that we made in that initial period are so strong that it doesn’t surprise me at all that people want to flock along to see somebody playing them – regardless of who it is.

“It doesn’t matter who is in the band, they want to go and see it – it could end up being a new bass player and people would still go and see them because the songs are so good.

“I’m, in a way, a tribute band to The Stranglers - and The Stranglers are their own tribute band, aren’t they?”
Tickety Boo!
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

Just heard Ships That Pass In The Night on Youtube. Sounds great!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Cricklewood wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 22:15 Just heard Ships That Pass In The Night on Youtube. Sounds great!
Yes it was a good version I've not long heard it and it's a song for a long time baz has liked and I think he wanted to do.
I've also just heard Genetix too and obviously nobody can replicate Dave's way of singing this song with his growly deliverance that was simply brilliant back in the day like only he can do lol so I think for a first or second time for Toby he done well and the song may grow and get better with time.
But for me with genetix it's not about being close to Dave's vocals that's not what it's about for me it's about a song tributed well to Dave and why not do it.
Who wants the world sounded good too from what I could hear of it on not a great recording.
Their doing well with the early stages of the tour with a good set that has at last seen good changes to it so I can't grumble I think they've on the whole tried to keep fans happy.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

toilerinblack wrote:
Cricklewood wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 22:15 Just heard Ships That Pass In The Night on Youtube. Sounds great!
Yes it was a good version I've not long heard it and it's a song for a long time baz has liked and I think he wanted to do.
I've also just heard Genetix too and obviously nobody can replicate Dave's way of singing this song with his growly deliverance that was simply brilliant back in the day like only he can do lol so I think for a first or second time for Toby he done well and the song may grow and get better with time.
But for me with genetix it's not about being close to Dave's vocals that's not what it's about for me it's about a song tributed well to Dave and why not do it.
Who wants the world sounded good too from what I could hear of it on not a great recording.
Their doing well with the early stages of the tour with a good set that has at last seen good changes to it so I can't grumble I think they've on the whole tried to keep fans happy.
This is such a long way of saying "I think it sounded ok"

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I was very surprised to see they played Genetix with Toby on vocals but I have to say he did a great job and he has got a decent voice. I'm sure Dave would have approved.