50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by toilerinblack »

The band who have started the opening two venues on their 50th tour have started well with a great set list whoever people think they are or not ....to me it's all in the music what they are doing and giving up there on stage for those paying fans to hopefully enjoy and it's not easy up their trying to give your best and remembering everything without blank moments or mistakes that will be picked up on...and as I found out decades ago playing the guitar is one thing but it toke me ages to master doing both together at the same time the brains thinking or a two way level that's a different kettle of fish to say just a vocalist who all he or she has got to worry about is rembering the lyrics and singing it all from start to finish in time......and me for one voice only who is an mk1 fan at heart thought they did very well overall in what i have heard only on audio.
I can't really see that they can or could do anymore than they have....again only my view all fans differe as usual.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:26 Just watched some footage of the gigs with Baz and whilst singing Golden Brown on cue goes to the front of the stage mid song and holds his hands out like the messiah of stranglers song writing egging the crowd on to adore him and cheer.
Indeed. It's always been painfully grating to see the former bass player of Toy Dolls acting like he's a huge reason why The Stranglers were so successful. Now they're trying to rope the former keyboard player of Rialto into literally replacing Dave Greenfield in every way, right down to awkwardly singing his songs when his voice doesn't have the right personality or character for it. Just as well it wasn't "Peasant in the Big Shitty", because that would have been even more cringeworthy. Total cabaret.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

The messiah pose is an attempt to 'have a thing' - like dave drinking a pint or JJ kicking. Baz has said in the past he believes hes a better guitarist than hugh, which may have inspired the initial pose, but i think he just thinks everyone is waiting for it now.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

FFS!

Nobody is replacing Dave or Jet.

These guys, all 4 of them, are just trying to make a living whilst entertaining many thousands of people.
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

Inspired choice to start the gig with Just LIke Nothing. If you ain't a Stranglers fan and attend the tour you would likely be baffled. Great stuff. I love the way they have consistently chosen their own way of doing things. Not many bands do that.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

How is Hallow to our men sounding?
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

kenl wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 17:58 FFS!

Nobody is replacing Dave or Jet.

These guys, all 4 of them, are just trying to make a living whilst entertaining many thousands of people.
Exactly this.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

jason wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 18:52 How is Hallow to our men sounding?
I thought it was pretty good.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

It's on youtube. Uploaded earlier today. Pretty good.
Let's Boogie
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

markorbit wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 18:54
It's on youtube. Uploaded earlier today. Pretty good.
Thanks mate.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Josh wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 18:54
I thought it was pretty good.
Such a great track for them to bring back.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

MiB81 wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:43
ThinkTank wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 13:26 Just watched some footage of the gigs with Baz and whilst singing Golden Brown on cue goes to the front of the stage mid song and holds his hands out like the messiah of stranglers song writing egging the crowd on to adore him and cheer. I wasn't going to say anything but i have never been a fan of people that jump on the backs of the real geniuses and try to steal other peoples work as their own so something needs to be said i think.

If you appreciate tribute bands then i guess JJ's version of that is the best you can get but at least the other lesser known tribute bands respect the original band a lot more than the replacement of the replacement singer of the original singer, song writer and the main man Hugh Cornwell.
Baz needs to be more respectful if he's going to perform other peoples work and try to palm it off as his own.

Utter dog shit and that could be absolutely any one, any band up there being successful due to the works of Hugh Cornwell and its a huge testament to the main man, Hugh Cornwell why that band is still going after 50 years oh and not forget JJ holding on to the band regardless of what that means or what he has turned them into. Baz has nothing to do with any of that he's just enjoying the praise for something he is not capable of producing himself.

Give me the genuine real authentic band any day not fake tribute acts that JJ has turned them into i would rather nothing than that. Its a very sad moment to see what they have become.
Oh do fuck off
All entitled to our own opinions, and some of that I agree with. Have always said after every GB guitar solo ... why the praise for doing his job? Its like me doing it after every floor I've laid.