50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by StanInBlack »

Ruby wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:55 For people who have no interest in the current Stranglers line up they do a very good impression of people who are interested.
If I do have any interest in JJ Burnel & Friends, it has nothing to do with music. Which is pretty much the entire point of a band. An interest/disbelief in how utterly tragic its all got, perhaps.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

When I first saw the band without Dave, the very first time I saw someone else climb up to the keyboard rig it brought tears to my eyes.
I couldn't enjoy the music at all. After about half an hour I started to get into it a little bit..but overall that gig wasn't a good experience for me..

But then what is worse? A band without Dave, and someone else playing his part, or no band at all ?

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Toby doing genetix? Someone said "a fitting tribute" yes the whole thing is. I mean no one thinks any different surely. A 50th anniversary of songs where the bulk of the setlist are Cornwell era songs performed as close to Hugh's original performance as they can be.

Toby doing a great job replicating Dave. I think he even uses some authentic Dave gear (just like Mick does in Straighten Out). Jim being Jet.

A fitting tribute indeed. If you like nostalgia then there's a big dollup being served for the price of a ticket. You pays the price, you get the tribute. If that's your thing then enjoy!

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:13
twatinblack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:08
StanInBlack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 17:50 I suppose it depends on whether or not you consider a ropey version of a great song a tribute or a compliment. To my mind, it's neither... the biggest compliment or mark of respect would have been to leave it alone. Same goes for the Stranglers brand itself.
Booooring!
Are you okay?
Do you have to be put in a home?
I think you should be asking those that have convinced themselves that a Hugh-less, Dave-less, Jet-less Stranglers is still The Stranglers.
The inmate is running the asylum. Is this not a place made for those who would like to talk about the Stranglers? Listen if it's the name you're concerned with then that's just beaver ass behavior. Settle down. If this community continues like this, then the Stranglers's legacy will vanish with it's current batch of fans. Don't deter people from enjoying the band or calling them fake fans for not following your bibleinblack1975-1990 (best of).

The name isn't holy, it never was. Nor were the members. They were and are still people that live thier life. Keep spreading you're opinion and what you find special with the music, but say it don't spray jizz everywhere, takes a while to clean up and it creates a long lasting stench.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:Toby doing genetix? Someone said "a fitting tribute" yes the whole thing is. I mean no one thinks any different surely. A 50th anniversary of songs where the bulk of the setlist are Cornwell era songs performed as close to Hugh's original performance as they can be.

Toby doing a great job replicating Dave. I think he even uses some authentic Dave gear (just like Mick does in Straighten Out). Jim being Jet.

A fitting tribute indeed. If you like nostalgia then there's a big dollup being served for the price of a ticket. You pays the price, you get the tribute. If that's your thing then enjoy!

Jim

well yes fair enough. Of course I'd rather have the real deal. But the passage of time has made that impossible..
So for now I'll just enjoy this for what it is. Some day soon even this will be gone...

I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

aldinblack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Toby doing genetix? Someone said "a fitting tribute" yes the whole thing is. I mean no one thinks any different surely. A 50th anniversary of songs where the bulk of the setlist are Cornwell era songs performed as close to Hugh's original performance as they can be.

Jim

well yes fair enough. Of course I'd rather have the real deal. But the passage of time has made that impossible..
So for now I'll just enjoy this for what it is. Some day soon even this will be gone...

Yeah completely agree. I think Stan is being a little bitch about it if I'm honest (sorry Stan but c'mon). That said trying to counter Stan's argument with "it's not a tribute" or similar is deluded

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I like that someone has written on setlist.com 'first time since x' underneath some of the tunes, ive never seen that before.

Theres obviously been an argument somewhere about how rarely played some of the tracks are.
kenl

Post by kenl »

In a bar before the gig, absolutely full of real fans.

5000 last night paying £50.
2900 tonight paying just over £40.
£366k takings for 2 nights.

Not bad for a tribute act. 😂
kenl

Post by kenl »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:52
kenl wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:43
StanInBlack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:41

Oh, I have. I've long accepted that nothing lasts forever no matter the lengths that some go to to try and make it so.
OK, being positive, tell us some of your best memories of watching the Stranglers when Hugh was still there.
Even better, how about you go and ask several random members of the general public to name a song by The Stranglers. If they can, I guarantee you that three quarters of JJ Burnel & Friends neither wrote it or performed on the studio version of it.
Have you ever seen the actual Stranglers @staninblack?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

twatinblack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 19:25the Stranglers's legacy will vanish
The Stranglers' legacy, particularly talking about from the beginning up through 1990, is very much intact, even if that legacy hasn't really been added to in any notable way since. Even JJB&F acknowledge this by drawing the majority of their set from that period.
theraven1979 wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 19:32I think Stan is being a little bitch about it if I'm honest (sorry Stan but c'mon).
No offence taken :smile:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

kenl wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 20:05
kenl wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:43

OK, being positive, tell us some of your best memories of watching the Stranglers when Hugh was still there.
Even better, how about you go and ask several random members of the general public to name a song by The Stranglers. If they can, I guarantee you that three quarters of JJ Burnel & Friends neither wrote it or performed on the studio version of it.
So what do you think would crop up the most? "No More Heroes"? "Peaches"? "Golden Brown"? "Always the Sun"?
kenl

Post by kenl »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 20:18
kenl wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 20:05

So what do you think would crop up the most? "No More Heroes"? "Peaches"? "Golden Brown"? "Always the Sun"?
Just answer the question!

My answer would be GB. I'm a teacher, asked a class of 16 year old kids yesterday, nobody had heard of the Stranglers.