50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by toilerinblack »

Well each to their own with music....
Some will think it's a good thing and some won't and that's fair enough music is listened,viewed and judged by each one listener....that's music at the end of the day and how it should be.
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 17:50 I suppose it depends on whether or not you consider a ropey version of a great song a tribute or a compliment. To my mind, it's neither... the biggest compliment or mark of respect would have been to leave it alone. Same goes for the Stranglers brand itself.
Booooring!
Are you okay?
Do you have to be put in a home?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

twatinblack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:08
StanInBlack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 17:50 I suppose it depends on whether or not you consider a ropey version of a great song a tribute or a compliment. To my mind, it's neither... the biggest compliment or mark of respect would have been to leave it alone. Same goes for the Stranglers brand itself.
Booooring!
Are you okay?
Do you have to be put in a home?
I think you should be asking those that have convinced themselves that a Hugh-less, Dave-less, Jet-less Stranglers is still The Stranglers.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Can someone put a gagging order on Stan?

Same old depressing guff rolled out again.

You need to move on and let those who want to enjoy the Stranglers do so in peace.

Thanks!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 17:35
Greatkudu wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 15:14 Not looked at setlist but I know they played Genetix,to me a big mistake, should have left it alone,to iconic with Jet and Dave,Jim also doesn't have the correct drum configuration to play it properly, should of left it alone IMHO.Major Kudu.
Morbid curiosity just got the better of me and I checked out the version of "Genetix" from last night. I agree, Jim's drumming feels very lumpen on the track and Toby's voice is completely unsuitable. I would say that this would represent the last shred of credibility disappearing if that hadn't already happened well before this.
It's a step to far,it was just truly an insult to Dave and Jet.Major Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

kenl wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:16 You need to move on
Oh, I have. I've long accepted that nothing lasts forever no matter the lengths that some go to to try and make it so.
Greatkudu wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:29 It's a step to far,it was just truly an insult to Dave and Jet.Major Kudu.
Several steps too far at this point (this step is just the latest), but it just goes to show how hell-bent JJ Burnel & Friends are in continuing at all costs and credibility be damned.
Cricklewood

Post by Cricklewood »

Think Toby gave it a good effort but really think Dave-sung numbers should be left alone for songs they hadn't played live before which they said/implied they would do for this tour?
kenl

Post by kenl »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:41
Oh, I have. I've long accepted that nothing lasts forever no matter the lengths that some go to to try and make it so.
OK, being positive, tell us some of your best memories of watching the Stranglers when Hugh was still there.
kenl

Post by kenl »

Cricklewood wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:41 Think Toby gave it a good effort but really think Dave-sung numbers should be left alone for songs they hadn't played live before which they said/implied they would do for this tour?
As much as I loved hearing Genetix where both Jim and Toby did a decent job, I agree.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well I can't say what I thought of the genetix performed because I haven't heard it yet and I wasn't there last night to comment fully anyway and I think you need of gone to hear it live with it's full sound production and harmonics to make an honest opinion.
Those who went had a great night and spoke very highly of them which I think is fantastic for them and the band all round.
Away people's like's or dislike's or think it should of been done or not that's their perogative and the band at the end of the day will do what they want and feel is right for them...and rightly so.
So it's up to each person what they think I liked their set choice and have heard only bits of say 5 or 6 numbers only so I can't comment j wasn't there that could of sounded even better than a audio of what I heard only....I don't know.
I hope they continue on pleasing the fans who go and what we heard feed back wise on the first night is all positive which is good....but each to their own as usual I can't really comment properly as I don't go to their gigs anymore..it's up to those who go to be fair how much they liked or disliked it.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 09 Mar 2024, 18:57, edited 8 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

kenl wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:43
StanInBlack wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 18:41
OK, being positive, tell us some of your best memories of watching the Stranglers when Hugh was still there.
Even better, how about you go and ask several random members of the general public to name a song by The Stranglers. If they can, I guarantee you that three quarters of JJ Burnel & Friends neither wrote it or performed on the studio version of it.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

For people who have no interest in the current Stranglers line up they do a very good impression of people who are interested.