50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by Ruby »

Yes,I agree with think tank there.I don't get the complaints about the 10 album production because it sounds amazing to me.It sounds as fresh today as it did in 1990.Roy Thomas Baker brought out something different from the band as opposed to the standard stranglers sound of previous records.
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

The albums released from 77 to 84 where fantastic the next great album was Norfolk coast 20 years later and for me the beginning of the band to be recognised once again and a lot of that is down to Baz
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 19:00 Yes,I agree with think tank there.I don't get the complaints about the 10 album production because it sounds amazing to me.It sounds as fresh today as it did in 1990.Roy Thomas Baker brought out something different from the band as opposed to the standard stranglers sound of previous records.
Me too I've sounded like a broken down record player on here again and again about 10 always standing in it's corner and defending it lol
Good songs,good live and nothing wrong with it's production....I'm in the minority but so what I like it and yes it still sounds great today .....that makes another who still thinks 10 is a great album today,so for me it has certainly stood the test of time to still sound so good after 34 years and it's last tour I saw of it with Hugh as a Strangler was amazing with the Brass....it's one gig I will always look back on and remember well.
So it's a 10 out of 10 for 10...from me lol
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

ThinkTank wrote:I didn't think anyone was phoning in musically at the end at all. The only sign of problems in retrospect was probably the distance between Hugh and JJ on stage was getting larger all the time.

AS and Dreamtime have obviously better songs than 10 but i find 10 more enjoyable to listen to because i think the songs feel more dynamic and not standardised like AS and Dreamtime were. JJ bass on 10 as already mentioned was back and prominent where as on previous albums the basslines felt again standardised and normalised to how other bands would have played the bass. 10 has more urgency with a livelier feeling and that bass sounds so good great basslines from JJ a better production would have made all the difference. Don't get me wrong i love AS and Dreamtime i can just see how their sound was being pigeon holed.

I dont think Hugh was a spent force musically when he left the band but he lost all identity and didn't know who he was or where he was going you only have to watch him on DFYTB singing Peaches and Sweets for my Sweets it was really cringing and whilst taking part in the fun of the show he just looks awkward and wooden through out the show i don't think he knew what to do and trying to be something he wasn't. So i can imagine that the Jazz Cafe would have been terrible.

You only have to listen to Hugh's musical history as a solo artist to see where all the talent is.
Great post.
You've made some great points there.
I noticed Hugh's mic becoming more centre stage when the mics were both side stage earlier.
I wonder how the decision was taken and how it was received.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
giants
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by giants »

I don't like the production on 10' Roy thomas baker was not a good choice, to be fair I think he came up with idea to record 96 tears and gave the band another top 20 single but that's the only good thing I can say about him. Yeah agree with single choice's, I would have followed up 96 tears with
Two many tear drops, then Someone like you. And again to be fair epic come up with some good promotional stuff to help sales ( 96 tears) tin stuff etc and nice 10 picture disc.
But that album is over produced, didn't J J once say he's got
Better versions ( demo's) of that album somewhere.? If the Stranglers do release another studio album my choice for producer would be Andrew watt' who produced the Roling Stones album Hackney diamonds.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

gjinblack wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 00:15
ThinkTank wrote:I didn't think anyone was phoning in musically at the end at all. The only sign of problems in retrospect was probably the distance between Hugh and JJ on stage was getting larger all the time.

AS and Dreamtime have obviously better songs than 10 but i find 10 more enjoyable to listen to because i think the songs feel more dynamic and not standardised like AS and Dreamtime were. JJ bass on 10 as already mentioned was back and prominent where as on previous albums the basslines felt again standardised and normalised to how other bands would have played the bass. 10 has more urgency with a livelier feeling and that bass sounds so good great basslines from JJ a better production would have made all the difference. Don't get me wrong i love AS and Dreamtime i can just see how their sound was being pigeon holed.

I dont think Hugh was a spent force musically when he left the band but he lost all identity and didn't know who he was or where he was going you only have to watch him on DFYTB singing Peaches and Sweets for my Sweets it was really cringing and whilst taking part in the fun of the show he just looks awkward and wooden through out the show i don't think he knew what to do and trying to be something he wasn't. So i can imagine that the Jazz Cafe would have been terrible.

You only have to listen to Hugh's musical history as a solo artist to see where all the talent is.
Great post.
You've made some great points there.
I noticed Hugh's mic becoming more centre stage when the mics were both side stage earlier.
I wonder how the decision was taken and how it was received.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
haha Yeah can you imagine that being the main topic of the bands improvement meetings :lol:

I would hope that the crew noticed JJ and Hugh moving the mic stands manually themselves and then took there lead possibly so hopefully no discussion needed. Or possibly it was mentioned that they are in bigger venues it would look more pleasing if they filled the stage and spread the band out a bit to give them more room to move about. In fact that could have been a genuine reason as well - wasn't that the reason for them to bring in those horrible headset mics that they used on AS ?
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

ThinkTank wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 08:57 wasn't that the reason for them to bring in those horrible headset mics that they used on AS ?
I think there was something like that, and then they stopped using them because the stage lacked a focal point when they could sing anywhere.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

droopsnoot wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 09:15
ThinkTank wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 08:57 wasn't that the reason for them to bring in those horrible headset mics that they used on AS ?
I think there was something like that, and then they stopped using them because the stage lacked a focal point when they could sing anywhere.
Yeah that makes sense, it could have been venue related but i didn't like the sound of them as well they had a harsh sound and were crackly.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Not sure when the mic stands got moved but simple logistics on the 10 tour would be the addition of John Ellis.

I had a flick through 10 yesterday. There's not much life in it apart from a couple. Funnily enough one of the perkier ones is Let's Celebrate.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

The Production on 10 is horrible,but there are some good songs on it l,Out of my Mind is fantastic IMHO,but Jets drum machine sounds terrible on the Album.Major Kudu.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Greatkudu wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 17:39 The Production on 10 is horrible,but there are some good songs on it l,Out of my Mind is fantastic IMHO,but Jets drum machine sounds terrible on the Album.Major Kudu.
The drum machine is overbearing on 10, in a way that it wasn't on Dreamtime or Aural, I think that's the biggest issue production-wise.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I agree that the 10 songs were always better live why?
OK the production side of things but they were were good live because many of Hugh's songs were bloody great powerful songs...celebrate live was excellent for me only at the ally,out of my mind is excellent,too many teardrops,man of the earth,hugh's 96 tears at the ally was excellent .
First and formost for me was that more than half of that album were excellent songs that were performed even better live including JJ's instead of this.......brilliant ! I stand by 10 it's up to each person to like or loathe it.
How many post albums songs were as good and powerful as hugh's Last one?
Norfolk Coast yes certainly,Suite and DM yes.