50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by toilerinblack »

BankMan wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 21:29 The reality is, is that Stranglers MK1 was greater than the sum of its parts. Dave, Jet and JJ together took Hugh’s ideas to another level and equally Hugh’s input to stuff that he didn’t write, and his guitar lines, added something we’ve never seen or heard since he left.

I’ll tell you something though, you listen now to any of the stuff by any of the different MK’s and you realise how much Dave, more than any of the others, was the man who gave the Stranglers their gold dust. Imagine nearly all of the MK1 stuff without his contribution, it just wouldn’t be half as good. MK2, when he was increasingly sidelined - pretty poor. He got his mojo back on NC and Suite - great albums - and Paul Roberts played a huge part in that, sadly unrecognised by many. Without Daves’s contribution on Giants and DM, you’ve got some pretty average stuff. You can hear this on the three DM tracks recorded after he passed - clunky and uninspiring to say the least.

On Hugh, I’ve always felt that that his solo stuff needed/needs contributions from equally talented people who will challenge him and add extra layers that will take his ideas and his music to beyond the “OK”
Yes I agree with your points...like you say it was all four of them that made them the band they were and yes your right and as we all know as Stranglers fans it was Dave's major keys sound that gave them their distinction and all the classics songs he's there at the heart of the sound....
I mean Heroes,Duchess,GB wouldn't be the same without out dave his sound made it the popular song it was,Sewer,toiler infact he's there on all of them making them the great songs that they were and legendary became.
The thing is you take GB a very good example of Hugh's imput that surley nobody else would of come up with,Dave again at the heart of the sound in the first place with Jets percussion together they came up with GB's sound which was amazing but then somehow it was Hugh that turned that melody into the classic it became with his lyrics and simple but very effective lead solo parts that it ended up like....quite incredible I do think how did he come up with what he did what Jet and Dave started together to what Hugh then turned it into ...I believe nobody else could of done that.

For me also they wern't past their sell by date with Hugh at the end with 10....nothing wrong with that album in just my opinion...infact hugh's songs and contribution to that album were excellent,it was the other few that wasn't up to scratch to be on the album for me only.
The band was still good until hugh left for me anyway.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 19 Feb 2024, 22:09, edited 18 times in total.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Ruby wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 20:37 Plenty of fans reckon that 10 was a pile of dung.I quite like that album myself but I can't imagine what would have come afterwards had Hugh still been there.
I like 10 and still do. Looking back at that 10 tour I was certainly not alone those 10 Album tracks were enjoyed by so many fans i just think a lot of those fans have all grown up moved on when Hugh left which has distorted the popular view of that album. They did release the wrong tracks as singles which didn't help not too sure what they were thinking.

Regarding not being able to imagine what would have followed 10 if Hugh had still been there i had that exact same feeling after every album since La Folie and they never let me down whilst Hugh was there.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

10 had some good tunes. The production let's it down along with 2 or 3 terrible songs.

They were drifting into the 90s. Guitar based music was going out of fashion. I can't imagine the follow up album being that great if they'd had stayed together but then ITN is pretty lame with even worst production.

Ideal situation would've been split in 90 then reform and ride the indie guitar music renaissance around 94.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 22:07 10 had some good tunes. The production let's it down along with 2 or 3 terrible songs.

They were drifting into the 90s. Guitar based music was going out of fashion. I can't imagine the follow up album being that great if they'd had stayed together but then ITN is pretty lame with even worst production.

Ideal situation would've been split in 90 then reform and ride the indie guitar music renaissance around 94.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Good point yes around the '90 ish times guitar based music was changing I don't know what sort of future albums they would of done maybe Hugh new it too around that time the band as they were musically known for were taken as far as they could go and as successfully were for decades.
If he had stayed i really couldn't imagine them going off very much more from that the style of music they produced that was the Stranglers sound and if they had changed to much off the wrong track then that too I think would of been a disaster....he wouldn't of done that while he was in it I think ...just like mk11 showed it to be to wrong of a drastic change from what was liked and known for from them it never worked...... ....he did right to jump ship just when he did I believe in '90 when I think about it nowday's looking back on it.......but at the time I just couldn't get it or understand him leaving the way and the time that he did too....but i get it and understand it all now though more as being right when he did.......it only toke me thirty odd years to get it though...lol
Only joking.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

airflamesred wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 19:52
StanInBlack wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 23:05
markorbit wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 23:22

That's a very good point. Having the original members was only great when they were 'on it'.
All I'll say is that if you really want to know what Hugh brought to The Stranglers, then listen to the first ten albums and compare with everything after, especially the albums with JJ, Jet and Dave on them. I mean, 'nuff said. It speaks for itself.
Mk1 was spent before Hugh left. I get your point but all everyone made a sizable contribution.
Of course The Stranglers were showing signs of being a spent force on 10. That's one of the reasons why Hugh left. A quick listen to Guilty or Hi Fi or Totem and Taboo makes it clear that it was a good decision for Hugh to leave. His songs wouldn't have sounded as good with the other members of The Stranglers phoning it in as they did on 10.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 00:35
StanInBlack wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 23:05

All I'll say is that if you really want to know what Hugh brought to The Stranglers, then listen to the first ten albums and compare with everything after, especially the albums with JJ, Jet and Dave on them. I mean, 'nuff said. It speaks for itself.
Mk1 was spent before Hugh left. I get your point but all everyone made a sizable contribution.
Of course The Stranglers were showing signs of being a spent force on 10. That's one of the reasons why Hugh left. A quick listen to Guilty or Hi Fi or Totem and Taboo makes it clear that it was a good decision for Hugh to leave. His songs wouldn't have sounded as good with the other members of The Stranglers phoning it in as they did on 10.
At the very least Dave is on pretty good form on 10, and the 10-ITN era seems to have been a productive time for JJ as well with some pretty decent basslines (Sweet Smell, Someone Like You), and more than his usual compliment of songs (although still a shame Things Are Getting Better wasn't used).
Sure you can blame Jet for some lacklustre drum machine work, but I would argue it's Hugh doing a lot of the "phoning in" as you call it, particularly lyrically (Sweet Smell, Celebrate, possibly Man of the Earth).
He was right to resurrect Out of My Mind on his recent tour as I think that's as inspired as he gets on 10.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

parasiteinblack wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 09:03
StanInBlack wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 00:35
At the very least Dave is on pretty good form on 10, and the 10-ITN era seems to have been a productive time for JJ as well with some pretty decent basslines (Sweet Smell, Someone Like You), and more than his usual compliment of songs (although still a shame Things Are Getting Better wasn't used).
Sure you can blame Jet for some lacklustre drum machine work, but I would argue it's Hugh doing a lot of the "phoning in" as you call it, particularly lyrically (Sweet Smell, Celebrate, possibly Man of the Earth).
He was right to resurrect Out of My Mind on his recent tour as I think that's as inspired as he gets on 10.
…and you only have to hear what he did straight after leaving (CCW) to realise he wasn’t at the top of his game by any means

Went to see him at the Jazz Cafe soon after he left and really felt for the guy. He wasn’t good
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

A hiatus between 90/95 would have been great.Hugh says as much in the book No Mercy, that they could have reformed with a tour and album.But then there are other comments which contradict that,which wouldnt have made it possible.Such as it was a spent force,he didn't feel comfortable in a rock band in his 40s,had enough of JJ to last a lifetime.So it wouldn't have happened.Like JJ,Hugh often contradicts himself.
Last edited by Ruby on 20 Feb 2024, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

BankMan wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 10:12
parasiteinblack wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 09:03
…and you only have to hear what he did straight after leaving (CCW) to realise he wasn’t at the top of his game by any means

Went to see him at the Jazz Cafe soon after he left and really felt for the guy. He wasn’t good
Yes, I was going to mention CCW but I've never managed the whole album.
I have the Sweet sister 12" and that's bad enough.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

I didn't think anyone was phoning in musically at the end at all. The only sign of problems in retrospect was probably the distance between Hugh and JJ on stage was getting larger all the time.

AS and Dreamtime have obviously better songs than 10 but i find 10 more enjoyable to listen to because i think the songs feel more dynamic and not standardised like AS and Dreamtime were. JJ bass on 10 as already mentioned was back and prominent where as on previous albums the basslines felt again standardised and normalised to how other bands would have played the bass. 10 has more urgency with a livelier feeling and that bass sounds so good great basslines from JJ a better production would have made all the difference. Don't get me wrong i love AS and Dreamtime i can just see how their sound was being pigeon holed.

I dont think Hugh was a spent force musically when he left the band but he lost all identity and didn't know who he was or where he was going you only have to watch him on DFYTB singing Peaches and Sweets for my Sweets it was really cringing and whilst taking part in the fun of the show he just looks awkward and wooden through out the show i don't think he knew what to do and trying to be something he wasn't. So i can imagine that the Jazz Cafe would have been terrible.

You only have to listen to Hugh's musical history as a solo artist to see where all the talent is.
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

As long as they don’t play where I live on this next tour I will be happy
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 11:09 I didn't think anyone was phoning in musically at the end at all. The only sign of problems in retrospect was probably the distance between Hugh and JJ on stage was getting larger all the time.

AS and Dreamtime have obviously better songs than 10 but i find 10 more enjoyable to listen to because i think the songs feel more dynamic and not standardised like AS and Dreamtime were. JJ bass on 10 as already mentioned was back and prominent where as on previous albums the basslines felt again standardised and normalised to how other bands would have played the bass. 10 has more urgency with a livelier feeling and that bass sounds so good great basslines from JJ a better production would have made all the difference. Don't get me wrong i love AS and Dreamtime i can just see how their sound was being pigeon holed.

I dont think Hugh was a spent force musically when he left the band but he lost all identity and didn't know who he was or where he was going you only have to watch him on DFYTB singing Peaches and Sweets for my Sweets it was really cringing and whilst taking part in the fun of the show he just looks awkward and wooden through out the show i don't think he knew what to do and trying to be something he wasn't. So i can imagine that the Jazz Cafe would have been terrible.

You only have to listen to Hugh's musical history as a solo artist to see where all the talent is.
Very good post....