Anja Huwe

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Anja Huwe

Post by Bear Cage »

Anja (Xmal Deutschland vocalist) has a solo album coming out, 1st track off it ‘Rabenschwarz’ is out now, I can’t get enough of it.
https://youtu.be/kIM6K0XU3oQ?si=KI3O1SqFpz4P2Ue3

Also coming out is an album of early Xmal, track pre-released from that is a live variant of Allien, also worth a listen
https://youtu.be/6LU6Egw6R6Y?si=DkxaGzUbZb8ojbNT

Enjoy
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Anja Huwe

Post by Bear Cage »

Rabenschwarz translates as Raven Black, German equivalent of Jet Black (I’ve been informed, I don’t speak German)
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

Cracking track. Looking forward to hear the album. X mal were a great band very underrated too
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

I saw them a couple of times on the Dreamtime Tour i think it was when they supported The Stranglers at Wembley and Oxford Apollo. I am sure they are much better than i remember as at the time i thought they sounded like a wailing racket and singing in German obviously didn't help. I never checked them out maybe i should have done i will start by giving this song a listen. They did come across as exciting though.
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

ThinkTank wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 20:40 I saw them a couple of times on the Dreamtime Tour i think it was when they supported The Stranglers at Wembley and Oxford Apollo. I am sure they are much better than i remember as at the time i thought they sounded like a wailing racket and singing in German obviously didn't help. I never checked them out maybe i should have done i will start by giving this song a listen. They did come across as exciting though.
. I saw them at the Apollo in Manchester on the Dreamtime tour and they were excellent. The Apollo was always a graveyard for support bands but they went down a storm. They got the tour because Hugh produced the single matador off the album viva I seem to remember. I my humble opinion the best support band I have seen on a stranglers album tour in the pre 90s
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

MrBlack77 wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 21:26
ThinkTank wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 20:40 I saw them a couple of times on the Dreamtime Tour i think it was when they supported The Stranglers at Wembley and Oxford Apollo. I am sure they are much better than i remember as at the time i thought they sounded like a wailing racket and singing in German obviously didn't help. I never checked them out maybe i should have done i will start by giving this song a listen. They did come across as exciting though.
. I saw them at the Apollo in Manchester on the Dreamtime tour and they were excellent. The Apollo was always a graveyard for support bands but they went down a storm. They got the tour because Hugh produced the single matador off the album viva I seem to remember. I my humble opinion the best support band I have seen on a stranglers album tour in the pre 90s
Ahh yes you have reminded me about there was a connection with Hugh and the band thanks for reminding me. I seem to remember as well that when i looked for an album from Xmal at the time you couldn't find any vinyl or Cd's from them anywhere in any shop i think that was probably why i never ended up checking them out. I usually always looked in to the support act at all the gigs i used to attend if they spark something in me.

The best support band i ever saw was The Dylans a very different sort of sound all together but it was back at the time i was getting in to the Manchester rave sound.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Just been listening to that link and that was very interesting sound.
Yeah a very enjoyable listen, something different from the usual.
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

Check out xmals albums Excellent very underrated. They also did some excellent peel sessions
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Wasn't it the 1985 Aural Sculpture tour?

I did meet Anja once when she came over with her art exhibition. We went to see The Damned.
Let's Boogie
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

markorbit wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 02:44 Wasn't it the 1985 Aural Sculpture tour?

I did meet Anja once when she came over with her art exhibition. We went to see The Damned.
No it was the Dreamtime tour in 86. The Aural Sculpture had some bloke with a puppet i seem to remember
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

MrBlack77 wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 11:40

No it was the Dreamtime tour in 86. The Aural Sculpture had some bloke with a puppet i seem to remember
Some web sources say they also did some UK Feb/Mar 85 dates. https://www.concertarchives.org/bands/x ... cert-table

I couldn't make the Dreamtime tour but I did make one of the early 1985 Aural gigs and have a vague memory it was Xmal.
Let's Boogie
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

markorbit wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 23:58
MrBlack77 wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 11:40

Some web sources say they also did some UK Feb/Mar 85 dates. https://www.concertarchives.org/bands/x ... cert-table

I couldn't make the Dreamtime tour but I did make one of the early 1985 Aural gigs and have a vague memory it was Xmal.
. If that was the case and they did play some of the Aural gigs you was lucky to see them instead of the tripe I witnessed on the earlier tour dates