50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by theraven1979 »

Yanders wrote:
BankMan wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 10:31
Exactly. What it is, is two members of the original line up playing music from the original period alongside music composed after that. One has the legal, commercial rights and brand of that original material including the band name, the other uses his past involvement and the logo style of the original to sell himself and his music. And still plays songs live from that period. Tribute acts ? - no. Tribute acts are groups of other musicians with no involvement or contribution - current or historic - in or to the band that they’re copying

Stan thinks the current Stranglers are a tribute band - no surprise there. Everyone’s free to make up their own mind
Has it been tested court? The idea that only JJ has the legal and commercial rights seems a wild assumption.
Yeah I thought that also. This is why the Clash wrote a song called "We are the clash" after Mick Jones went

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

It's been over 33 years since Hugh was in the Stranglers.

The Stranglers have existed for over 33 years without Hugh Cornwell.

Key point here: The Stranglers.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

PS Yeah, as I say, some stuff from Feline or In the Night would really great to hear.

Basically if the set is going to be 75% 77-79 stuff then I'm going to be disappointed. I could probably handle 50%, but 75% would be taking the piss. 80s, 90s and 00s stuff please.
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

Yanders wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 12:51
BankMan wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 10:31
Exactly. What it is, is two members of the original line up playing music from the original period alongside music composed after that. One has the legal, commercial rights and brand of that original material including the band name, the other uses his past involvement and the logo style of the original to sell himself and his music. And still plays songs live from that period. Tribute acts ? - no. Tribute acts are groups of other musicians with no involvement or contribution - current or historic - in or to the band that they’re copying

Stan thinks the current Stranglers are a tribute band - no surprise there. Everyone’s free to make up their own mind
Has it been tested court? The idea that only JJ has the legal and commercial rights seems a wild assumption.
Fair point. I suspect that the reality is that Hugh has quarter rights to the material released when he was in the band, which is why he has a legal say in stuff like the film that’s yet to be released. If there’s any 50th anniversary re- releases of the stuff when he was in the band, he gets his cut ( and is why he’s happy, now, that they’re still going). There’s a limited company still going of which JJ and Hugh are still directors. What he doesn’t have is rights to the current Stranglers brand. JJ does and has the right to continue under that name. Still win-win for both of them and good luck to them, they deserve it.

As for the setlist, if we get Shah, Hallow and Sewer on the next tour, that’ll do me. A couple off Feline and Folie that haven’t been done since the 80’s would be good too
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 13:48 It's been over 33 years since Hugh was in the Stranglers.

Well that's the facts and stats......like or loathe what type of a band they've been since his departure up to now presently they were and have always been the Strangler...end of.
For me it's never been the same band since HC It can't be but.....they have done their best and very well some great albums and some not so great and currently the Stranglers are as good as it will ever be post Hugh.......so let's hope it's gonna be a great set list for their 50th....Will there be hallow and others we all would like them to do...I dunno I think Baz likes ships in the night which is a good Feline one to do.....we'll see with time.
Two sets intresting of what? To be or not to be that is the question with the song choice lol
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 18:35
parasiteinblack wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 13:48 It's been over 33 years since Hugh was in the Stranglers.

Well that's the facts and stats......like or loathe what type of a band they've been since his departure up to now presently they were and have always been the Strangler...end of.
For me it's never been the same band since HC It can't be but.....they have done their best and very well some great albums and some not so great and currently the Stranglers are as good as it will ever be post Hugh.......so let's hope it's gonna be a great set list for their 50th....Will there be hallow and others we all would like them to do...I dunno I think Baz likes ships in the night which is a good Feline one to do.....we'll see with time.
Two sets intresting of what? To be or not to be that is the question with the song choice lol
Yes Hallow and Ships would both be great to hear 8)
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

BankMan wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 10:31What it is, is two members of the original line up playing music from the original period alongside music composed after that. One has the legal, commercial rights and brand of that original material including the band name, the other uses his past involvement and the logo style of the original to sell himself and his music.
One is going on tour as Hugh Cornwell, the other is going on tour pretending to be The Stranglers.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

StanInBlack wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 22:31
BankMan wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 10:31What it is, is two members of the original line up playing music from the original period alongside music composed after that. One has the legal, commercial rights and brand of that original material including the band name, the other uses his past involvement and the logo style of the original to sell himself and his music.
One is going on tour as Hugh Cornwell, the other is going on tour pretending to be The Stranglers.
One is on tour as a guy who's played on 10 Stranglers albums and about 10 solo albums.
One is on tour featuring a guy on all 18 Stranglers albums (plus 2.5 solo albums), plus a guy on 4 Stranglers albums, plus a guy on 1 Stranglers album who's been playing with the band for over a decade, plus er, Toby...

The thing is, if you like the 8 Stranglers albums that don't have Hugh on, as I do, then there's only one option left to see those songs being performed live, and that's the current incarnation of the Stranglers.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

parasiteinblack wrote:
One is on tour as a guy who's played on 10 Stranglers albums and about 10 solo albums.
One is on tour featuring a guy on all 18 Stranglers albums (plus 2.5 solo albums), plus a guy on 4 Stranglers albums, plus a guy on 1 Stranglers album who's been playing with the band for over a decade, plus er, Toby...

The thing is, if you like the 8 Stranglers albums that don't have Hugh on, as I do, then there's only one option left to see those songs being performed live, and that's the current incarnation of the Stranglers.
I hope there's some post Hugh songs on this 50th anniversary tour just for your sake

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 22:59

Then that's great seeing them today if you like their post Hugh material then see them and have a great night.
Hugh has the right to do whatever he wants as does JJ anything Stranglers wise,Hugh has the best of both worlds is how I see it he can have a choice of 10 studio Stranglers albums and 10 of his own....blimey there's 20 to choose from lol
JJ for me isn't pretending to be the Stranglers....he is the stanglers just the same as it was from the beginning of '74 ....who sadly being the only official Stranglers member left nowday's does have all the rights to do as he sees fit and wishes to.
Such a shame he is the only one left with two sadly no longer with us....
But there's still Hugh down the road still doing his own thing.....and the Stranglers thing too.
So as Stranglers music goes it's still being played strong and live in 2024 from two separate camps to eager listening ears that are still enjoying it live......which is still a great position for this once great bands music from back in the day to still be in today I think after 50 years.....even if it isn't the same as once was which I think is better than say no band that ended decades ago and not being able to still hear their once great music live today for the new gig goers too who are able to still hear this bands once great music which for many was before they were even born along too with the bands new material also, surely that's better than.....no Stranglers?
Well I thinks so for sure as one fans worth only.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 04 Feb 2024, 00:59, edited 30 times in total.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

theraven1979 wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 23:28
parasiteinblack wrote:

I hope there's some post Hugh songs on this 50th anniversary tour just for your sake

Jim

:smt023
Here's hoping.
Last time I saw "the Stranglers" in 2022 it was really weird without Dave, so they'll have to do something more than just play the 77-79 stuff to make it special for the 50th. It needs to encompass the whole history of the band.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 23:32
parasiteinblack wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 22:59

I think they are going to give a blinding tour.