50th Anniversary Setlist?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: 50th Anniversary Setlist?

Post by toilerinblack »

I've been thinking what would be the perfect opener for a 50th tour?..
As much as I like toiler they've opened with it for far to long now with different tours and obviously a Sewer opener is always good but I've come to the assumption that 5 Minutes really is as good as it gets for a gig opener......the drum and guitar parts is as good as it gets I'm not saying it's a better song to sewer and toiler because it's not but as an opener this song really does say to me this is ...THE STRANGLERS!
JJs twin string lead bass opening is magical.
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

I think they will either start with 1st single London day/Grip or 1st track on 1st album Sometimes but for me I would go for time to die straight into toiler
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

Beginning a gig with shah is just unbeatable but they haven't played it for over 30 years. I don't understand why just that track hasn't been played, because it's political? No doubt it.

I have a feeling Tits will be dusted off and revised for the newbies. It is one of thier oldest and a rare one at that, only two recordings of the song exist and could be a fun nostalgic thing for Burnell.

Seeing as they cannot play all the songs from thier catalogue, maybe a medley would be in order.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

I wish they cover a Doors track, e.g. Light my Fire. They could play it greatly, audience and music press would praise them. Will never happen but a nice imagination.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

The trouble is whatever they play,it will be a tribute.Major Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

There's nothing wrong with the tribute really. I think anyone going to a 50th anniversary tour gig with one original member standing knows deep down it's a celebration of classic songs, classic line ups etc. If you accept it for what it is enjoy it.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Indeed, just take it on the same terms as going to see any Stranglers tribute band if you're interested in that sort of thing. Just don't expect to be seeing The Stranglers onstage, because even though that's what it's advertised as, that's not what it is.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well yeah you either except going to see the current line up or you don't....
Those who want to hear the great classic songs they are then your'll have a great night.
The current line up cannot be a tribute......it's an impossibility while JJ is there.
But as usual each to their own on this band.
I think the band deserve more than being categorised tribute........the same as Straighten Out who are one and a bloody good one at that who are for sure the no.1 tribute band for the real band but they have never had a real member in their line up so yes they have always been a great and very good tribute one.
The real Stranglers have changed,altered over the decades who have never stopped as a band so like it or loathe it they may look and sound different but the entity as Jet the founder would say keeps rolling on and has never stopped since foundation of '74...... so the Stranglers and current line up are the stranglers and not a tribute one......and it's their 50th foundation year that some can except and others can't and I get that it's up to each individual how they see and feel about the band today.
The band I've always liked and followed was MK1 with Hugh and it can never be the same again but this band who have reached their 50th are the stranglers that have altered and changed many a face with it's members but it's still the Stranglers to me.....but can never be what was once started out like....but are still very good in their own right is the best way I can put it as one fan lol
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Maybe JJ^s Tribute Act is a better way to refer to them so not confuse with other tribute bands like Straighten Out .
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

StanInBlack wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 21:20 Indeed, just take it on the same terms as going to see any Stranglers tribute band if you're interested in that sort of thing. Just don't expect to be seeing The Stranglers onstage, because even though that's what it's advertised as, that's not what it is.
What you’re getting is the official, authorised, legitimised Stranglers branded combo. Legitimised because JJ is still in it (and that’s the biggest factor), authorised by Jet (and probably would have been by Dave) and official because it hold the rights to all the past material. On this last point even Hugh now gives it his blessing as it makes money for him and provides a platform for him to sell his tours and solo material

Of course it’s not the original line up, but neither are The Damned, The Pretenders for example, or were the Banshees way back when (and I’m sure there are others). People can make their own mind up whether they buy, watch and listen

I have no strong opinion either way, but I’ve worked for enough of a limited time in the music industry to realise the Stranglers brand will be kept going for as long as they feel they can get away with it. It’s all about the money and that’s why Hugh now supports it, and uses the name, logo style and his past involvement to keep going. In this regard he’s no different than JJ
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Those ridiculing about the Stranglers being a tribute act don't even go to the shows so I don't know what skin off their nose it is.it's like : "Well I don't go and neither should you"
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Ruby wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 09:14 Those ridiculing about the Stranglers being a tribute act don't even go to the shows so I don't know what skin off their nose it is.it's like : "Well I don't go and neither should you"
This.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall