Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by theraven1979 »

Ruby wrote:JJ must feel a little uncomfortable with this Stranglers 50th anniversary stuff even though he will never admit to it.It's a bit like celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary with a third wife,from the day married to the first one
If you got paid £10000s for it though you'd probably do it mind

I wonder if Hugh will choose to mark the occasion? No sign on his forthcoming tour

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

ThinkTank wrote:
Ruby wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 23:32 JJ must feel a little uncomfortable with this Stranglers 50th anniversary stuff even though he will never admit to it.It's a bit like celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary with a third wife,from the day married to the first one
Yes a very good analogy and I agree it won't feel totally comfortable or indeed right for him. Of course he won't admit it.
Its different if they were a force all of their own and were writing music that stood well above everything else leaving Hugh just a distant memory but as you so well put JJ still prefers to go on exististing / celebrating with his first wife. :grin:
They might not be "a force", and yes you're right their music doesn't stand above everything else, but nevertheless they have written some good music without Hugh, for which they deserve some credit.

And even in the current situation, which is far far from ideal, I think a celebration for 50 years is still in order for both JJ and Hugh, and whoever wants to celebrate with them..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Grip
Down In The Sewer

Post by Grip »

I saw Thin Lizzy, without Phil Lynott, but with all the other original members (Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson & Brian Downey)
I couldn't think of a better way to enjoy Thin Lizzy music live, without Phil Lynott.
In the same way, if you want to hear Stranglers music live, you will see The Stranglers in their current line-up, and you won't see a better live band, period.
I like this current line-up, they play brilliantly together and they have created some great new music (in my opinion). So if there's a choice of seeing The Stranglers in this current line-up, with direct lineage to the first line-up, or none at all, I'll take this band every time.
Respect is earned, and I think every current member of the band have earned that respect, it can't be easy playing to dedicated fans, especially dedicated Stranglers fans.......fussy, moaning old bastards (me included) :lol:
Tickety Boo!
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

aldinblack wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 09:53
ThinkTank wrote:
Ruby wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 23:32 JJ must feel a little uncomfortable with this Stranglers 50th anniversary stuff even though he will never admit to it.It's a bit like celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary with a third wife,from the day married to the first one
Yes a very good analogy and I agree it won't feel totally comfortable or indeed right for him. Of course he won't admit it.
Its different if they were a force all of their own and were writing music that stood well above everything else leaving Hugh just a distant memory but as you so well put JJ still prefers to go on exististing / celebrating with his first wife. :grin:
They might not be "a force", and yes you're right their music doesn't stand above everything else, but nevertheless they have written some good music without Hugh, for which they deserve some credit.

And even in the current situation, which is far far from ideal, I think a celebration for 50 years is still in order for both JJ and Hugh, and whoever wants to celebrate with them..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
We will never see eye to eye over this but i do like hearing your views and they do make me stop and think and i have always respected what you say.

I cant see Hugh doing any celebration but he might do a low key dedication or a comment at his gigs as he has always said The Stranglers songs that he was involved with he regards very highly and is very fond of them, as we all are.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Grip wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 10:05 .......fussy, moaning old bastards (me included) :lol:
Lol i cant think of anyone else that matches that description :lol:
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Grip wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 10:05 I saw Thin Lizzy, without Phil Lynott, but with all the other original members (Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson & Brian Downey)
I couldn't think of a better way to enjoy Thin Lizzy music live, without Phil Lynott.
In the same way, if you want to hear Stranglers music live, you will see The Stranglers in their current line-up, and you won't see a better live band, period.
I like this current line-up, they play brilliantly together and they have created some great new music (in my opinion). So if there's a choice of seeing The Stranglers in this current line-up, with direct lineage to the first line-up, or none at all, I'll take this band every time.
I hear you.It's great that people still go along and enjoy a fantastic show,it just isn't for me personally.They are a brilliant live act,no doubt about it.But I just see strangers alongside JJ,not Stranglers.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

They should do a just a Baz era set one day. I bet it would be a great show!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

As I keep fucking saying,and I'm boring myself by keep on Banging on the Same old Beat :smt005 See what I did there? So it's to go or not to go thats the Fucking situation :smt005 It's as it is,you either want to see the band next year? Or you Fucking don't,it's that Fucking simple,I obviously have tourettes tonight :smt005 Major Kudu In a bad mood. :smt013
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Language Timothy!

I think most people already heed your advice Kudu no need to keep banging on about it. Unless it's some sort of mantra you need to keep repeating to yourself, in which case just repeat it in your head.

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 22:38 As I keep fucking saying,and I'm boring myself by keep on Banging on the Same old Beat :smt005 See what I did there? So it's to go or not to go thats the Fucking situation :smt005 It's as it is,you either want to see the band next year? Or you Fucking don't,it's that Fucking simple,I obviously have tourettes tonight :smt005 Major Kudu In a bad mood. :smt013
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 08:47

I wonder if Hugh will choose to mark the occasion? No sign on his forthcoming tour

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
No reason why he should as he isn't a Strangler anymore, didn't want to be so doubt he is even remotely bothered. And that is how it should be!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

It must cross his mind, at least, that its been 50 years? Even if he just thinks 'blimey' to himself.

Really, this anniversary only means something to him and JJ. Theres no one else around who was there 50 years ago. Fans will remember first gigs, or album releases, but nothing about 1974.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

A Dam good read.Major Kudu.