Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by Greatkudu »

ThinkTank wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 11:11 lol even though i am probably one of many that would be first in line for being deleted that did make me laugh :lol: . Also hear hear to free speech and democracy!
Hi Think Tank I'm not in denial at all,and of course keep on saying how great Hugh was and still is,your missing my point,we all know you cannot ever better the original lineup,the point I was making was,you have a choice you either still want to see the band or you don't,my choice is I still will go to an odd gig,of course my enthusiasm for the current lineup has diminished as I have other things going on in my life,I used to go to three or four gigs a tour when Hugh was in the band,I don't now as I don't have the passion that I used to.Major Kudu.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I've only ever done one gig per tour apart from cdg in 98.I found it a bit like seeing the same film at different cinemas.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

With the same audience pretty much.

Jim
Ruby wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 18:00 I've only ever done one gig per tour apart from cdg in 98.I found it a bit like seeing the same film at different cinemas.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

theraven1979 wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 18:02 With the same audience pretty much.

Jim
Ruby wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 18:00 I've only ever done one gig per tour apart from cdg in 98.I found it a bit like seeing the same film at different cinemas.
Yep,both venues less than half full. Warrington
and Liverpool.Probably a fair amount who attended both, with the locations being so close together.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Greatkudu wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 17:25
ThinkTank wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 11:11 lol even though i am probably one of many that would be first in line for being deleted that did make me laugh :lol: . Also hear hear to free speech and democracy!
Hi Think Tank I'm not in denial at all,and of course keep on saying how great Hugh was and still is,your missing my point,we all know you cannot ever better the original lineup,the point I was making was,you have a choice you either still want to see the band or you don't,my choice is I still will go to an odd gig,of course my enthusiasm for the current lineup has diminished as I have other things going on in my life,I used to go to three or four gigs a tour when Hugh was in the band,I don't now as I don't have the passion that I used to.Major Kudu.
You're missing the point of a forum. If we cant talk about 'what ifs' here, where else can we? Weirdly, i have no one in real life who is the least bit bothered about my thoughts of what the stranglers would be like now, if someone didnt join in 1990
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yes of course we can discuss anything,we are all fans of the band,but of course it's ok to say whatever and what may have been and not have been,but generally in my life I deal with the cards that are currently in my hand,not the cards that were in my hand in 1990,back on thread I'm still reading the book and it's a dam good read old boy. :smt005 Major Kudu at Arms.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Yanders wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 20:12
Greatkudu wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 17:25
You're missing the point of a forum. If we cant talk about 'what ifs' here, where else can we? Weirdly, i have no one in real life who is the least bit bothered about my thoughts of what the stranglers would be like now, if someone didnt join in 1990
That's the most relevant point to me. lol weirdly i am the same :grin:
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Ruby wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 18:00 I found it a bit like seeing the same film at different cinemas.
:lol: That is so true but sometimes you might get a different advert break
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

ThinkTank wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 08:28

As Hugh once said,I wouldn't pay to see us. :lol:
Not twice or more anyway,the same month.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Ruby wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 09:26
ThinkTank wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 08:28

As Hugh once said,I wouldn't pay to see us. :lol:
Not twice or more anyway,the same month.
Yeah i remember Hugh always saying that as well he always said he would rather save his money and buy himself an LP instead lol
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

Just finished this - a great read from an interesting and charismatic man.

A key point in the final pages when JJ is discussing Toby, "...he plays the way Dave did twenty five years ago, respecting every note.Nowadays, The Stranglers is almost like classical music."
I think this is why Baz, Toby and Jim are accepted and Paul and Jon were not - the fans love the music and will attend to hear it in the same way fans of Mahler, Beethoven, Mozart attend to listen to different musicians playing the music.

The presence of JJ retains a vital link to the origin of the band but the music will outlive the creators.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

kjblack wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 17:58 Just finished this - a great read from an interesting and charismatic man.

A key point in the final pages when JJ is discussing Toby, "...he plays the way Dave did twenty five years ago, respecting every note.Nowadays, The Stranglers is almost like classical music."
I think this is why Baz, Toby and Jim are accepted and Paul and Jon were not - the fans love the music and will attend to hear it in the same way fans of Mahler, Beethoven, Mozart attend to listen to different musicians playing the music.

The presence of JJ retains a vital link to the origin of the band but the music will outlive the creators.
Good points,but I really hope when JJ decides he has had enough,the band finish, I hope that will be the case.Major Kudu.