Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by ThinkTank »

The thing i like the most about this site is hearing fans stories, experiences and opinions . That's something that no book or the band can offer, you can only get that sort of information here and that is very unique. Unfortunately you have all been here for so many years you are all probably too bored to comment on those sort of things anymore but i think they are real gems when i do get to hear about them. I guess i miss my youth of when i used to sit in the pub with my Strangler mates and discuss gigs, events and other happening including songs played at those gigs. Discussing albums, band members and songs in general was always a great past time of mine. Long evening in the pub exchanging stories was just such good fun we did that a lot .
In a way official merchandise and books offered by the band are usually very ordinary and boring stuff and only what they want you to know about and i have found i am cynical at the stories i hear JJ tell so i tend to avoid and happy for the hi-lights i hear from fans in here.
So there is no rush for getting the book from me not just yet anyway.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I don't have the book yet but will probably get it in due course,if only to add to the others.There's always going to be embellishments and exaggerations in any biography but even more so with JJ who does that anyway.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

DoctorBlack wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 12:32
Ruby wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 19:28 No professional musician would pull such a stunt.There are more important things than money,such as reputation for example.Ellis would've been black listed amongst agents and promoters if he forced a tour cancellation at the last minute and would struggle to get a booking ever again.
Indeed, "professional musicians" like The Stranglers would never have pulled any stunts that led to them getting black-listed and struggling to get bookings!
Not quite the same, but...Rock Goes To College?
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I noticed this being advertised to me https://policediariesbook.com/ Wouldn't it be great if somehow we got Jet's stuff wrapped into something nice like that?

Jim
aldinblack wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 14:53 I'm a couple of chapters in so far, seems like a great read to me.
It's a real shame we didn't get one like this from every original member..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

theraven1979 wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 17:24 I noticed this being advertised to me https://policediariesbook.com/ Wouldn't it be great if somehow we got Jet's stuff wrapped into something nice like that?

Jim
aldinblack wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 14:53 I'm a couple of chapters in so far, seems like a great read to me.
It's a real shame we didn't get one like this from every original member..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
Yes, it's always been a bit of a Holy Grail, Jets scrap book.
Heres a question, or two,if it's mostly collections of clippings and reviews and stuff (l dunno) would you need permission from every source used before you could publish it?

Liberez les Stranglers!
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

theraven1979 wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 17:24 I noticed this being advertised to me https://policediariesbook.com/ Wouldn't it be great if somehow we got Jet's stuff wrapped into something nice like that?

Jim
And Dave's tour diaries.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

I’m reading the book now - it really is a detailed and fascinating read
Grip
Down In The Sewer

Post by Grip »

theraven1979 wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 11:12 With regards to the "wilderness years" I thought it was sad to hear that Dave turned to JJ around the time of WiR and said "I'm don't feel like being a Strangler at the moment" (quote isn't correct as I don't have the book to hand but it was similar to that).

Jim
When Hugh left, I never listened to anything with Paul or John Ellis. I only started listening to the new stuff when Norfolk Coast was released, and I loved it. Only this last month have I decided to listen to the MKII albums. When I listened to Stanglers in the Night, I thought, it was very good but should have been called Paul Roberts with special guests. The songs are more commercial, but to me it sounded like Dave had been told to play inside the confines of the song "not to paint outside the lines" like his creativity had been stifled, so that the songs were more commercially structured, with guitars leading and the keyboards in the background. Rather than a Stranglers song where they weave in and out through the song, and are front and centre with bass & guitar.
Tickety Boo!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Grip wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 23:04
theraven1979 wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 11:12 With regards to the "wilderness years" I thought it was sad to hear that Dave turned to JJ around the time of WiR and said "I'm don't feel like being a Strangler at the moment" (quote isn't correct as I don't have the book to hand but it was similar to that).

Jim
When Hugh left, I never listened to anything with Paul or John Ellis. I only started listening to the new stuff when Norfolk Coast was released, and I loved it. Only this last month have I decided to listen to the MKII albums. When I listened to Stanglers in the Night, I thought, it was very good but should have been called Paul Roberts with special guests. The songs are more commercial, but to me it sounded like Dave had been told to play inside the confines of the song "not to paint outside the lines" like his creativity had been stifled, so that the songs were more commercially structured, with guitars leading and the keyboards in the background. Rather than a Stranglers song where they weave in and out through the song, and are front and centre with bass & guitar.
Intresting your post which I can agree with a lot of what you have said...
I too for many years didn't listen or follow the band after Hugh it toke me a long long time but eventually like you I came back to never quite the same band again but also thought as do the many on here too that NC probably was one of the bands first real quality and finest albums post Hugh where they finally found themselves and I think too was one of Paul's best as a Strangler too post '90.
Yes their individual input to a song was different to how Dave's parts were constructed and played with Mk1 compared to after and some things can never be the same again and the new chapter of the entity at times with their own creation and credit have been good also but different.
MK1 had the amazing chemistry between the four of them that I feel cannot be repeated again it was special what they had that worked so well but that's in the past and there's always all their recordings there to listen to with admiration and enjoyment.
This now new line up are still doing and sounding very in their own different right who clearly are all happy together with next year being a vedy special one in the bands overall history.....
Half a century old.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

ThinkTank wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 12:34 The thing i like the most about this site is hearing fans stories, experiences and opinions . That's something that no book or the band can offer, you can only get that sort of information here...

In a way official merchandise and books offered by the band are usually very ordinary and boring stuff and only what they want you to know about and i have found i am cynical at the stories i hear JJ tell so i tend to avoid and happy for the hi-lights i hear from fans in here.
That's literally what the recent Live X Certs book, and, obviously, Bob's great book Peaches were about :lol: :lol:

Liberez les Stranglers!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah I think what we need now are more band accounts/manuscripts while they are still living or the families of those sadly gone can give their blessings (if they see it fit) and hopefully reap the rewards. There's photos, diaries tons of stuff out there that would be wonderful to own. Of course I don't wanna sound like a spoilt child in a sweet shop but it would be a shame for the stuff just to end up in a skip or similar.

Jim

Waffle waitress wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 10:37
ThinkTank wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 12:34 The thing i like the most about this site is hearing fans stories, experiences and opinions . That's something that no book or the band can offer, you can only get that sort of information here...

That's literally what the recent Live X Certs book, and, obviously, Bob's great book Peaches were about :lol: :lol:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Thanks to JJ's book and Elon's announcement I've read the word Grok twice within a few days

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk