Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by ThinkTank »

Yanders wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 20:46 Theyll be doing it for the money and the buzz of being on stage.

But, based on nothing, i dont think JJ will give up until Hugh does.
This is my thinking exactly right down to the very word
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yes i've thought that too over recent years I don't think Hugh's to arsed and will stop i imagine whenever he feels it's the right time but what about JJ? Who knows only he knows really but I can't imagine him stopping before Hugh....let's hope they both keep going on for a few years more.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 00:12 Yes i've thought that too over recent years I don't think Hugh's to arsed and will stop i imagine whenever he feels it's the right time but what about JJ? Who knows only he knows really but I can't imagine him stopping before Hugh....let's hope they both keep going on for a few years more.
From my point of view i cant see it being the music that he's been involved in writing since Hugh left that is keeping him going.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 10:23
toilerinblack wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 00:12 Yes i've thought that too over recent years I don't think Hugh's to arsed and will stop i imagine whenever he feels it's the right time but what about JJ? Who knows only he knows really but I can't imagine him stopping before Hugh....let's hope they both keep going on for a few years more.
From my point of view i cant see it being the music that he's been involved in writing since Hugh left that is keeping him going.
Who knows I wouldn't guess only he knows after nearly 50 years in the buisness maybe he's in no hurry to produce new material and the i'm sure they all still get the buzz of being on stage showing their craft off.
Some musicians like the studio and the new material side of things and not the gigs and there's those who prefer visa versa.
No doubt on the last album it was Baz I feel that got this band back together and completing it through the hard covid times?
I'm sure JJ still likes to write and produce but after 50 years he can't be nowday's in any hurry but the touring side of things have to be sorted out and booked so far in advance after all that is the heart of their bread and butter...so hopefully we will get another album in their 50th year.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

I can think of nothing better than playing a gig and pocketing a few grand. No matter how much money I already had it would be hard to say 'no more'.
Let's Boogie
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

markorbit wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 14:51 I can think of nothing better than playing a gig and pocketing a few grand. No matter how much money I already had it would be hard to say 'no more'.

I think so. Fuck, for just the earning a wage making music ld be sold. I mean, 50 years is a long time, but most of us spend that time in work we don't love.
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Waffle waitress wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 15:11
markorbit wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 14:51 I can think of nothing better than playing a gig and pocketing a few grand. No matter how much money I already had it would be hard to say 'no more'.

I think so. Fuck, for just the earning a wage making music ld be sold. I mean, 50 years is a long time, but most of us spend that time in work we don't love.
:lol: Yeah, I've always though that to complain about having t0 live the "rock star" life, has always, all things considered, rung kinda hollow with me.
It reminds me, kinda, of the Woody Allen joke about two old dears complaining in a retirement home,
"The food in here is awful!" One of them says at meal time.
"I know," her friend replies, "and such small portions!"
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

Is that why Charlie Harper has kept on gigging (albeit for smaller amounts)?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

JJ loves playing music still,and the Stranglers still have an audience,What the fuck do you want him to do, become a Deliveroo rider? Work down the Chipshop? Or retire? And before anyone says anything I'm not slagging either of those jobs,he loves being in the Stranglers still as he said at the Signing and interview a few weeks ago.Maybe I should stop playing my drums? Major Kudu. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 16:10 JJ loves playing music still,and the Stranglers still have an audience,What the fuck do you want him to do, become a Deliveroo rider? Work down the Chipshop? Or retire? And before anyone says anything I'm not slagging either of those jobs,he loves being in the Stranglers still as he said at the Signing and interview a few weeks ago.Maybe I should stop playing my drums? Major Kudu. :smt005
Exactly....once a musician always a musician you carry on because you enjoy playing and what a job getting paid doing something you love doing in life.
I knew this radio presenter who said I thank my lucky stars doing this job because it's not really a job I enjoy doing this so much and I get paid for it talking to people in the station for 4 hrs or whatever it is.
They are playing still because firstly they love it and get a good living from it too so why would you want to stop ok there's the travelling side of it all that ain't great and can take it's toll but on the whole they must be happy being in the position they are in as there are so many musicians who are scraping a living and I only wished i enjoy my work after 40 years of working hard for a living lol
But that's life lol
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Greatkudu wrote:JJ loves playing music still,and the Stranglers still have an audience,What the fuck do you want him to do, become a Deliveroo rider? Work down the Chipshop? Or retire? And before anyone says anything I'm not slagging either of those jobs,he loves being in the Stranglers still as he said at the Signing and interview a few weeks ago.Maybe I should stop playing my drums? Major Kudu. :smt005
Eh?!

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Like De Niro doing that Uber advert. Yeah he doesn't need the money but it helps right?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"